How does your walking stride compare to your running stride? (Read 2290 times)

Baby bean!

Maybe I'm not wording that right, but I'll explain it more.  When you run, are your feet farther apart than when you walk or are they at about the same distance?

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

xor

Maybe I'm not wording that right, but I'll explain it more.  When you run, are your feet farther apart than when you walk or are they at about the same distance?

In my case, my walking gait is completely and totally different than/from my running gait.

Roses Revenge

My walking steps are longer than my running steps.  Until fairly recently, my walking pace was also faster than my running pace.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

The length of your stride whether walking or running is dependent on your pace and on your height, but generally, your stride will be longer when running vs. walking. For me (I'm six foot two inches tall),  an easy run stride length is about four feet and on an easy walk its about two and a half feet. The same figures for someone five foot tall would be much different. The major different between walking and running form is in how you land. When walking you land exclusively on your heels and when running (if your form is correct) you should land more on your midfoot. Heel striking on a run is a good indicator of over striding.

Tom

I'm not sure about stride length. I do know that my running stride is much more optimized and efficient than my walking stride; I've spent much more effort on it. I'm far more likely to end up sore or injured by walking a few miles than easy running the same distance.
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think that normally I am touching the ground most or all of the time when walking, but am sometimes airborne with running. I think the really fast runners are airborne more of the time.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

will run for popsicles

you're supposed to lift your feet? ah. this explains much.

she runs like a girl

slower.
                  2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
                    I think the way my foot hits the ground is very similar.  The distance between my feet is also similar.  They hit the ground a little less  than shoulder width apart, unless I am running on a narrow trail, then they are closer together.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

At least when I am barefoot, running feels a lot more natural to my feet.  When I am walking I always feel a bit awkward and clumsy.  Too bad I don't have the cardiovascular ability to run everywhere I went Smile

As for stride length, even a very confortable relaxed run yeilds a longer stride than I can confortably walk.  I thought I had a very short running stride untill I ran around a swimming pool and I could look at my wet foot prints.

I think that normally I am touching the ground most or all of the time when walking, but am sometimes airborne with running. I think the really fast runners are airborne more of the time.

nice link - gives new meaning to the term "fast food"

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

a.wesolowski

When you run, are your feet farther apart than when you walk or are they at about the same distance?

For most people, your walking stride is about 1 foot and your running stride is about 2 feet.