Getting Faster for My First 5k (Read 1429 times)

dennrunner

First, take everything I say as just an opinion–though I do have 30+ years of running experience. You really can't run your fastest 5K by June on the training you have done and can do before 6/6 and not hurt your progress toward a fall marathon. That said, what you're doing each week (what you call a "practice 3.1") is probably the best thing you can do to prepare for a good 5K. If I'm interpreting correctly, you're doing a near race effort 5K each week in your training. The actual pace would be slower than a race because the excitement and adrenaline will enable you go faster in a race than in training. This is very race specific training, and is as good or better than any interval session without as much injury risk. Again, others may disagree, and I would definitely include faster intervals if I was only focusing on a 5K. But if you want to run well at 10K or above, short intervals are not nearly as important as strong sustained runs. And of course for the marathon what you need most is more miles. Lots of miles. Outside.

SMART Approach

Tchuck, I've been thinking about and re-reading the plan you gave me in light of the fact that my legs were quite sore yesterday and today. I am also considering my relative inexperience. I am thinking of simply building up for my marathon and "practicing" a 5K every Tuesday until my 5K, followed by a hardish 5-6 mile run (HR between 155 and 165) later in the week. Do you think this would also work and would be consistent your philosophy? Is it missing something?
      I am more of a fan of of CV reps than all out hard 3.1 miles weekly runs because you will be in anaerobic overload once a week while with the CV reps you will not be. Those 3.1 mile "practices" are not training in my eyes but "racing" or 'straining" while training. It increases risk of injury when done regularly with your level of fitness. Working anaerobically is not conducive to building your aerobic strength which you need for your marathon. I think if you insist on "practicing" your 3.1 mile run, I would do it every other week or better yet find one or two 5Ks and really practice the race. Or make this run a progressive run like first mile easy, and gradually increase pace each mile over next 3-4 miles. This is safer and smarter training.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I am more of a fan of of CV reps than all out hard 3.1 miles weekly runs because you will be in anaerobic overload once a week while with the CV reps you will not be. Those 3.1 mile "practices" are not training in my eyes but "racing" or 'straining" while training. It increases risk of injury when done regularly with your level of fitness. Working anaerobically is not conducive to building your aerobic strength which you need for your marathon. I think if you insist on "practicing" your 3.1 mile run, I would do it every other week or better yet find one or two 5Ks and really practice the race. Or make this run a progressive run like first mile easy, and gradually increase pace each mile over next 3-4 miles. This is safer and smarter training.
        This makes a lot of sense. I like this idea of the progressive run. Thank you.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus