Sugoi Women's SubZero Tight (Read 1362 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Excellent...I think I will definitely be ordering a pair of these soon.  I loved the function of the NB tights, just not the fit.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

aellopous

Out of curiosity, are there any companies that make pants or tights in a short length? I know I'm going to need to layer at some point, but I'm a bit worried about catching my heels in a foot opening.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How tall are you?  My inseam is like 28 or 29"...pretty short (I'm under 5'4").  Even the ridiculously long Under Armour tights don't cause me a problem, since they have snug elastic around the ankles.  They are just all wrinkly around the knees from the excess length.  But I think most tights are pretty short, then stretch to fit on longer legs.

~ Sarah Kay

I have really stubby legs  being only 5"1" but I pull the tights smooth around my knees and bunch them up around my ankles.  If there are no zippers I don't even notice it.  If there are ankle zippers, I leave a bit of the zipper unzipped and form a sort of gator out of the fabric.  I think it is better actually to have extra fabric than being too tall and having your ankles exposed to the elements.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think it is better actually to have extra fabric than being too tall and having your ankles exposed to the elements.

And tights are ideal for short legs.  I had a couple of pairs of running pants that I had to have shortened before I decided to give up on that nonsense and just deal with my "hot bag of mayo" (™Heather73) ass being on display.

~ Sarah Kay

aellopous

Yeah, I'm definitely liking the tights for that so far. Maybe if it comes to that, I'll just layer multiple tights instead of trying to find something wind resistant.

I really can't overemphasize how klutzy I am, haha. I can barely walk around the house without hooking a heel in a pant leg, and I sure don't want to do that at speed.

We've had such a relatively balmy winter that it might not be an issue, though...(famous last words...)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Were we separated at birth?  Ask backroadrunner about the time we were talking on the phone and I tripped in my own house.  Yeah...walking and chewing gum is a challenge, heh. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

I have tried everything and swear by the REI OXY (or OXT- hard to read it) fleecy tights.  They are windproof, comfortable and very warm.  I wore them down to below 10 degrees and I was fine and I am VERY cold-blooded.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

xor

OXT.

Mariposai

I am a huge fan of the OXT, for skiing, hiking or running. They are warm and they fit great.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Elly.

I discovered a wonderful combination for tights:

I have some opaque Spanx ... footless, that I have been using underneath my tights.  The Spanx are compression, the opaques hold up to runs and go under the outer tights as well.  I like the footless variety so I can use my own comfy wooly sock.  I don't like my CW-X tights, because they don't fit right on me either. 

I buy the Spanx at SteinMart; they are reasonable.  Needless to say, they are great to use in recovery and are cheaper than the compression leggings that are popular now.   

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

ymmv

after a few cold weather tests, i'm going to declare the underarmour cold gear tights to be warmer than the CW-X insulator tights. i was expecting the cw-x to be warmer. they certainly cost more.  i also noticed that the cw-x insulator tights want to ride down.
                            Just to add my 2 cents- I agree that the Under Armour Cold Gear tights are great.   I run in them when it gets below 30 and have had plenty of runs in windy, snowy weather.  My lower body stays warm and cozy and they are actually quite comfy.  I'm still searching for the proper combination of tops for my upper body, but the tights do the trick.   They're actually the only pair of cold weather tights I own.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I ended up ordering a pair of the Sugoi SubZeros, since it's really been chillier/windier here most days than what my UA Frosty or NB Competitor tights are good for.

Just tried them on today...they fit like an absolute dream--especially for a fairly heavy tight.  I doubt they will be as wind-resistant as the NB Windblocker tights, but those are so inflexible and miserably uncomfortable if a person gains so much as 5#s.  They are not too long, too short, too tight, too loose, and the waist hits me perfectly--not too high or too low.

My only beef: the seams that run up the inner thighs are likely to be toast in a relatively short time.  I really don't know why designers put the seams right there--at the spot most likely to be torn-up due to friction.  I can't even blame it on carrying a few extra #s, since I wore out that area on my jeans first as a skinny-mini size 2 teenager.  This is why I don't wear running shorts (hello unflattering and uncomfortable bunched-up fabric) and should buy stock in SportShield or Body Glide.  My NB Competitor tights actually have the seams set forward a bit, so they never rub each other.  As a result they have lasted a long time.  Last Winter I went through a pair of Mizuno Breath Thermo Layered tights in about 2 months.

~ Sarah Kay

My other favorite tight for the winter has been the Sporthill Summit Tight.  The fabric does attract dog hair, but they really fit well and are warm.  Very good quality too.