running sub 1:45 HM - any advice? (Read 671 times)

Kimmi -- A lot of great advice above. The schedule above that John A posted (not sure if I recommended that to him) is the way to go.
    Tchuck - you are the guilty party that recommend the above schedule -- along with some original input from nooby (but the miles per day and the up tempo on Wed and Sun - were your recommendations). I have used it a couple of times but found that 40 MPW was a little too much for me at the current time (legs started hurting and I was showing all the signs of boredom and over work and so on and so forth) so I have cut back to a 30 MPW schedule for the time but will be working my way up to your prescribed schedule over the course of the next few months..and proceed from there... Right now I am going Mon - 3 easy Tue - 3 easy Wed - 6 (3 easy - 3 tempo) Thur - 3 easy Fri - - Rest Sat - 5 easy Sun - 10 -- (last two up tempo)

Champions are made when no one is watching

SMART Approach

Tchuck - you are the guilty party that recommend the above schedule -- along with some original input from nooby (but the miles per day and the up tempo on Wed and Sun - were your recommendations). I have used it a couple of times but found that 40 MPW was a little too much for me at the current time (legs started hurting and I was showing all the signs of boredom and over work and so on and so forth) so I have cut back to a 30 MPW schedule for the time but will be working my way up to your prescribed schedule over the course of the next few months..and proceed from there... Right now I am going Mon - 3 easy Tue - 3 easy Wed - 6 (3 easy - 3 tempo) Thur - 3 easy Fri - - Rest Sat - 5 easy Sun - 10 -- (last two up tempo)
      John - looks great and don't be afraid to throw in some quick striders once or twice a week like after tempo miles on Wed and during the 5 easy on Saturday. Doing a schedule like this even though you could call it a base plan allows you to enter any race up to a half marathon and perform very well. If a race is a goal, you can do some race specific work in the weeks prior to race to peak depending on if a 5K or half but this is a nice general long term plan that gets you very fit as you increase miles. Just don't increase miles and intensity at same time.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com