Milwaukee Running (Read 698 times)

I'll be in Milwaukee for a wedding and KMays and I plan to do a 10 mile run on Saturday morning.  We are staying near the airport but will have a car and can easily drive to the lakefront or wherever anyone recommends.   Paved surfaces or smooth dirt preferred.  I've looked online and there are definitely some options, but I thought I would ask here, too!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

DoppleBock

I usually drive down to the Oak Leaf trail - Often I just go to the start area for the Badgerland Striders 1/2 marathon - It has plenty of parking in the park area and start running south on the Oak Leaf trail.

Basically in south shore park run down to the water by the marina and you will hit the trail - It is either 6 or 8 foot wide paved recreation trail.

As a male I do not worry about too much - In my early morning runs, the only thing I have seen is a few homless people on park benches.  If you are running after 8am there should be a fair amount of traffic out there.

http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/home/Races/SouthShoreHalfMarathon.htm

You can find the address of the start area above.

If it is this weekend or next the Badgerland Striders have there marathon build up runs starting at 8:00am

http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/LakefrontMarathon/Public/StriderMarathonBuildUpRuns.pdf

Address is in the above link.  I personally do not like people much, so I would be running my 1st suggestion.  But you seem like a nice people liking person - I believe they get a pretty big turnout for their build up runs and should have at least a water stop - maybe 2 set up.  Plus safety in numbers.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

if you want to run with a group there will be a Lakefront Marathon build-up group at 8 AM doing a 10-mile run.

Here is their 8-mile run from last week:

Marathon Build Up Saturday 7/7 8am Lake Park

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/109118055

I'm pretty sure they always start at the same place.  Here is what the start says for 7/14:

Lake Park near Newberry Blvd entrance. 43.0691°,-87.8716°

Thanks, DB and Doug.   Roughly how far (driving) are both starts from the airport area? 

Thanks, DB and Doug.   Roughly how far (driving) are both starts from the airport area? 

he beat me to it.  it's the same run.

10 miles and 20 minutes?

Oh roo roooo!

Hope you enjoy running w/this group!  I have volunteered a lot at the water stop for these buildup runs over the past few years.  Sadly, I have changed jobs and now work most weekend AMs so am not able to help out this year.  It is a very well-organized program and I can't say enough good things about it.

they just posted the 10-mile route for Saturday...

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/46726526

Thanks a lot.  I hope we get started before 8, but this gives me a great idea of where to run and we'll definitely see the group at some point.

Thanks so much. Kmays and I had a great run with the Badgerland Striders. Everyone was so friendly, the water stop (hit it 3 times) was great, and the food and drink at the finish was plentiful. We enjoyed seeing the lakefront, art museum etc. overcast and 74 degrees. Turns out the start /finish was where the rehearsal dinner was last night for the wedding we are here to attend so we got to scope it out last night.

Running Rev'd

It was perfect! Thanks for pointing us in that direction. There were plenty of people of all paces and experience levels, and everyone was very friendly and welcoming. Great course and organization.

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

Oh roo roooo!

I'm glad to hear the Striders' buildup run worked out so well for you guys!  It is indeed a great group and a well-managed run.  Hope you had a great time at the wedding too!

WI_Runner

HStreet

I spoke to you after Saturday's run.  I'm glad you enjoyed your run with the build-up group. Thanks for pointing me to this forum.

^^ Yay!  Welcome to the forum.  It was great to meet you.