Treadmill advice (Read 1340 times)

I am looking at getting a treadmill to help me through our cold Canadian winters.  Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these models:

AFG 7.1 AT

Livestrong LSPro 2

Both have the "passport" connectivity which I think is a pretty cool option.  Other than that, they seem pretty similar.  

Anything good or bad on either of these models?

Thanks

Rick

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

jdais

I've had my Sole F80 for 2 years and it is good 

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

A good site for reviews too is....

http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/

(We bought a treadmill to help through those really cold -40*C days of winter, but I don't know the two brands you are looking at. Ours is a Sole S77, I think.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Kalsarikännit

Treadmill advice:

Don't fall while running on a treadmill because you will get skinned knees that feel like they are bruised and rug-burned.

I learned this the hard way yesterday.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Treadmill advice:

Don't fall while running on a treadmill because you will get skinned knees that feel like they are bruised and rug-burned.

of course, that's good advice no matter where you're running. I also learned that the hard way :-)

Treadmill Addict

Treadmill advice:

Also, tell your kids to stay away from the back of the treadmill while running. I have a Landice that I use almost every day. This pic is from a couple years ago, my 2 year old son was near the back of the treadmill on the couch, and fell onto the tread while I was running. I had the laptop on watching a movie, and as soon as he fell I pulled the safety cord, which somehow knocked my new macbook pro laptop off the console, ruining the body of the laptop, but I managed to stop it quickly enough that he didn't get even more injured. (I don't care about the laptop, I was just glad I noticed him fall right when he did, dh had walked into the other room.) Check out his face/shoulder. Could have been worse I'm sure, and I am SUPER careful now, the kids aren't even allowed in the same room as me while I run. 

He's sleeping in this pic, he had a rough day, poor little guy, I still feel guilty about it... (he also has remnants of a chocolate popsicle on his face I think.) Smile

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/abbysmommy24/IMG_0919.jpg

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

Feeling the growl again

Depends how much you want to pay, and how much you want to use it.

I have a Sole, ~4 years old, I doubt it will last much past another year.  I have put ~1000 miler/year on it, I am on the THIRD deck, second belt, second start button, second speed sensor.  It will no longer accelerate to the highest speed setting.  Basically, if you don't lube them twice as frequently as they tell you to the deck will overheat and the surface separate, burning through the belt.

The buttons are also not well sealed against sweat.  I doubt the incline buttons work anymore, if I used them.

All I know if Livestrong is I think that is what someone else on here bought, and it needed servicing within a couple weeks.  Not sure what was wrong.

Basically, unless you spend >$2000 on a tm (think Landice, higher end NordicTrack), don't expect it to be a machine that will hold up for years under regular use.

I did not allow either of my older kids around the tm until they were ~18mo old.  I watched them like a hawk until I caught them trying to get too close, took firm corrective action...first time was enough for the oldest, the younger one took two warnings.  They keep a good 2-3 foot berth now.  I also taped a cardboard box around the back end of the belt during the training period so they couldn't sneak in there behind me where I could not see them.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

yes on keeping the kids away.  I have a friend who's son lost all the flesh on side of his hand screwing around at a friends house.  It wasnt his house so he had never been taught treadmills were dangerous. You could see bone.   I keep my safety key on a shelf when other people's kids are over. 

Mine know better but I dont trust anyone else's kid.

If I ever fall I will get flung off the back and crash into the wall mirror .

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

Mine know better but I dont trust anyone else's kid.

+1.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I bought a Livestrong LS13.0T at the end of October. Within 2 months I had to have it serviced twice. I will say that the service was excellent and hassle free. It is a pretty nice treadmill considering what I paid for it and the one you're looking at is a higher end model than the one I have.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

BeeRunB

I  have a Pacemaster Gold Elite. There were some problems with the first one we got, but Pacemaster replaced the entire TM with no hassle. They honor their warranty, and I have never been rebuffed or charged for any repair or service while under the warranty. This replacement has been going strong for five years. The motor got a funny noise in it last year (my wife used that motor quite extensively), and Pacemaster replaced it for free (they have a ten year warranty on the motor). Quick repair. There will be repairs on any TM if you use it a lot. It should be serviced once in awhile. After the general warranty is up, it will cost you about 120.00 for a visit from a repair service, give or take a few bucks. Both of the service guys that I have had said Pacemaster is great to work with (the service company will generally be your middle man). That's my experience.

--Jimmy  Cool

Feeling the growl again

I bought a Livestrong LS13.0T at the end of October. Within 2 months I had to have it serviced twice. I will say that the service was excellent and hassle free. It is a pretty nice treadmill considering what I paid for it and the one you're looking at is a higher end model than the one I have.

I will give Sole credit, their CS has also been good (but I did all the work myself, did not hassle on a tech visit with them).  Despite that I still cannot recommend them.  All the parts were provided under warranty and the last deck after warranty because the prior one lasted <1 year.

Just out of interest does anyone use a non-motorised treadmill? 

Feeling the growl again

I remember playing on one of those when I was 3 or 4....good thing it was not motorized or I would have lost my face.  I've always been curious to see one of those in action.

I used to have one that I bought for $10 at a garage sale.  It had a speedometer and an odometer and worked well on nasty winter days. It did not have much padding and you could really feel the rolling bars. After runs lasting more than 30 minutes I felt like I was walking with roller skates on. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!