Running a 5k to WARM UP for a 5k....? (Read 1028 times)

Hey guys - I'm running a 5k turkey trot this Thursday morning before Thanksgiving dinner with the family. I'm not a fast runner - we'll just put that out on the table now. I run for distance, not speed. I average about a 10 minute mile (that was my exact pace on my half marathon this past October). I've been laying pretty low as far as mileage goes since my race on October 12 this year - we're talking less than 10 miles a week low...less on some weeks immediately following the race. Yeah, I started to feel crappy. It got to me eventually, and I realized I couldn't just run 3 miles a couple days a week and be satisfied, so I'm starting to add long runs back into my routine (which I never should have stopped in the first place, just call it lack of motivation with to race to train for). I did my first run over 4 miles since my race yesterday (I did 6 and boy, did it feel AMAZING.) ANYWAYS My mom and aunt like to race 5k's (my mom is a walker, my aunt a runner) and so I often enter 5k's with them just for the hell of it. I don't race, I run at my normal training pace. I've never done speed work or fartleks or anything like that to prepare myself for a speed race. Nor do I really want to. I'm happy chugging along at my own pace knowing that I can run more than 4 times the distance of a 5k with no problem. SO my question comes down to this: should I run 1-2 miles BEFORE the 5k this Thursday? Has anyone ever tried this? I've heard it before... that long distance runner's don't warm up and start to feel good until a couple miles in, and that certainly rings true for me. On my easy 3 milers, I'm just starting to get my rhythm between mile 2 and 3. Not that I get any faster, it's just that the first mile or 2 usually doesn't feel as great as the ones that follow the 3rd or 4th...so when I run a 5k, I feel crapy almost the whole time and don't really have a lot of fun because I'm not even being competitive! What do you all think? Experiences? Opinions? Thanks!!!! Have a happy and healthy Thanksgiving - and don't forget to run it all off!!! We can eat as much as we want and not feel guilty! Woo-hoo!

2012: Just run.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think a 3mi warmup for a 5K race is not at all unusual, for people who want to go really fast on the 5K. I've seen racers do twice that (6mi) warmup for a 5K. So, I don't think there is anything at all wrong with a 5K warmup before a 5K race. If you're not planning to go all out on the 5K, then do whatever warmup you like Smile I did a 10mi race with someone who did 4mi warmup before, and 6mi warmdown afterward (and I did the 6mi warmdown with this other person) -- in order to accomplish a long run day at the same time as doing the race.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

nextyearcubs

If you aren't trying for a PR, it probably wouldn't hurt. I run mostly distance too and I never feel really good until a few miles in also. However, for races I never warm up more than a little jogging, and I feel pretty good for the most part. Of course, my race strategy (for 5-8K's) is to go all out and try to hang on for as long as possible. You warm up pretty quick when your heart rate is over 170 two minutes in.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

Prince of Fatness

If you are racing and have a decent mileage base, running a couple of miles beforehand is very beneficial in my experience. I ran 2 5Ks this year. For one of them I ran 2 miles before, and for the other I ran the whole course. Both times the results were favorable. There is a saying I have heard, "The shorter the race, the longer the warm up.". If you are treating this as a training run then I wouldn't worry about it. Just do what you normally do before you go out for a run.

Not at it at all. 

SMART Approach

April, If you want to race it (push), a warm up is recommended to help your CV system adjust (be ready for) to the intensity. If not racing, no need to warm up unless you just want to get more miles in. If racing, run1 mile 20-30 min before w/ last minute or two at or close to race pace. Then keep moving, do some dynamic stretching and a couple fast striders and you are ready to roll. Go for it! Nice to use 5K RACES to measure your current fitness and training paces. Also, nice to do a cool down jog if racing.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Everyone pretty much gave you the answer, but Ill pipe in too...... I would recommend running a mile or so but at an easy pace (minute or so slower then your normal 5K pace -just to get the blood flowing and a little sweat beading) about 20 minute before the 5K race (finish your warmup 5 to 10 minutes before the start of the race). This is just so when the race starts out you can start off and a normal run pace (and not have to burn the first mile warming up). Im not talking about trying to set a record here, Im simply saying that when your warmed up at the start of a short race, the race is a lot more fun (at least it is for me - and believed me, Im not setting any world records either - but I hate the feeling of warming up durning the first mile of a short race)...... As far as running a 5K before the race - based on your training logs, I would say no....dont run more then 1 or 1 1/2 miles because you dont quite have the base to justify it (my $.02 only). If you were averaging 20 MPW then - more warm up = better race........aslo....I recommed you push it just a little......see if you can hit a 9:50 per mile.........what the heck.....thats what the races are for......to push youself just a little...but dont kill yourselt. Have fun tomorrow in the race.....I know there are 8 races within 20 miles of my house tomorrow morning, but Mrs John-A nixed that idea cause were going somewhere for T-day.....I'd rather run in a race too.... Smile Big grin Wink Tongue Clowning around

Champions are made when no one is watching

JimR

Depends on how comfy you are with the distance. If 10 milers are in your range, do a good warm up of 2 or even 3 miles beforehand. Start off VERY slow, well below training pace, and let yourself gradually build up to a moderate training pace...toss in a few strides at 5k race pace (run for about 20 to 30 seconds building up from your running pace to 5k pace, then backing down to running pace) to get a feel for the speed. If 5k is near your distance range, just jog a little bit beforehand and do some stretches. I have done warmups for 5k's by running the entire route. I know I need at least 25 minutes warmup beforehand.
                milkbaby

I have done warmups for 5k's by running the entire route. I know I need at least 25 minutes warmup beforehand.
                  Ditto here... I really need to get in the warm up miles beforehand, otherwise I cannot race as fast. This is especially true if it is cold. Happy turkey running and turkey day!
                  "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

A Saucy Wench

I run ~ 3 miles for a 5K, 2 miles for 10K, 1-2 m for HM. I cant get up to 5K pace without a solid warmup.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Warming up before a 5K will enable you to run a faster race,if you are adequately trained. With a 10 mile per week base, warming up before hand will likely hurt your time not help it. Just take it easy for the first mile or so and enjoy the event, wait until you are better prepared before trying the warm-up. Tom
                      Purdey

Self anointed title

With a 10 mile per week base, warming up before hand will likely hurt your time not help it. Just take it easy for the first mile or so and enjoy the event, wait until you are better prepared before trying the warm-up.
                        I would tend to agree with this. Unless you are a serious runner don't overdo the warmup.