Too much cardio... (Read 3039 times)

This is the problem, though, with the term "economy." It's a concept that picks out what is basically an unmeasurable quantity. It's an attempt to cover over the inability of the sum of physiological concepts to adequately map the total experience of running by inventing a catch-all term that refers to "that which could not be discovered in the lab." The lab says Runner B should be as fast as Runner A. When this turns out not to be the case, economy is invoked as an "explanation." But nothing has been explained: a word has been placed at the site of the ignorance, as a way of covering over that ignorance. This happens all the time, and not just in physiology.
    I agree that it is impossible to isolate stride efficiency and that makes running economy impossible to use quantitatively. However we cannot discount the evidence that stride efficiency plays a very significant (much moreso than VO2Max) role in running. It's just a simple application of Occam's razor once we observe that: elite runners have a stride which is very similar to each other but very different from casual runners, VO2 Max or LT based metrics are not good predictors of race results, the metric that is best at predicting race results is dependent on stride efficiency, and we have such a competitive environment that given the law of averages, external factors are minimized at the elite level. We also have years of training lore suggesting that strides and short track repeats make people faster at any level of effort. There just isn't another way to explain it other than: efficiency plays a large role in running.
    For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

But we're not talking about their VO2Max, we're talking about their running economy.
      No. We were talking about calories.
        I thought we were talking about Hippos and the length of Milton Berle's member?

Dave

There just isn't another way to explain it other than: efficiency plays a large role in running.
          It does. But the question was whether that efficiency translates into substantially lower calorie consumption, a lower ratio of glycogen (vice fat) to provide those calories, or both. Back to the basic physics principles, the efficiency of running form can seek to reduce friction and loss of forward momentum through the mechanics of the running stride but I wonder if there have been any studies that measure the relationship between running efficiency and calorie consumption. My presupposition was that it was much more in line with Trent's original hypothesis. 10% maybe but not as substantial a contributor as the fuel mix with regard to longer distance performance. Ocamms Razor. Sheesh.... Had to google that one.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Without googling: pluralities should not be multiplied unnecessarily. But William of Occam (or Okham) was arguing against certain Catholic views, not for a specific direction that scientists should take. However, his razor oft rings true. RunningBehind, my only argument is with whether any of this has to do with caloric expenditure rates over distance. Not with oxygen consumption, stride efficiency, etc. And I am not arguing against Noakes and Daniels (who themselves argued against each other).

#artbydmcbride

Running fast for 2 miles burns more calories than running slow (or walking ) for 2 miles.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Running fast for 2 miles burns more calories than running slow (or walking ) for 2 miles.
                Yes. But only if you weigh more while running the fast 2 miles. Otherwise, it is about equal.

Right on Hereford...

Yes. But only if you weigh more while running the fast 2 miles. Otherwise, it is about equal.
                  Trent, what if you run 2 miles with an overly-exaggerated bouncy stride (read, lots of unnecessary up-and-down movement)? Would you still burn the same number of calories?
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Probably not. But then again, that is not really running.

Right on Hereford...

Probably not. But then again, that is not really running.
                      That isn't running? Why not? That's the way a lot of people run at first. Their strides are too long, which means they have to jump higher with each step than necessary. Then, with practice, they become more efficient. MTA: So, you DO agree that a person can change their rate of calories burned per mile, simply by altering their stride. Have you changed your mind on this point?
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why not? That's the way a lot of people run at first. Then, with practice, they become more efficient.
                        Right, and this gets to Jeff's point about running in place and (I believe) RunningBehind's point about improved efficiency. Comparing different runners or single runners at different stages in their running career or different running-like activities is apples to oranges. There are too many variables that impact the energy expenditure, including whether the forces are directed horizontally or vertically, whether other body motions are included in the effort. However, for a single runner at a given stage in his or her training, whether running 8 m/m or 11 m/m, the calorie burn rate is essentially the same per mile. This is not impacted by (or well measured by) VO2.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So, you DO agree that a person can change their rate of calories burned per mile, simply by altering their stride. Have you changed your mind on this point?
                          What do you mean by altering stride? Taking shorter or longer steps? Or bouncing excessively and unnaturally?

Imminent Catastrophe

Inefficiency will increase energy burn. Most people who aren't highly trained are probably less efficient while running (for a variety of reasons) than when walking so in most cases running will burn slightly more calories than walking, up to 15% or so.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Running ≠ Walking With walking, at least one foot is always on the ground. With running, at least one foot is always off the ground. These have different energy expenditure profiles.

Right on Hereford...

What do you mean by altering stride? Taking shorter or longer steps? Or bouncing excessively and unnaturally?
                                Well, if you take longer steps without changing speed, this probably means you're "bouncing" more, right? If this causes you to burn more calories, then I'd call it "bouncing excessively."