Finding balance of calories to eat to lose weight while training (Read 1230 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dude. Chill. Wink Again, the mantra is only a reminder, not the plan itself; the plan is meticulously outlined in the lengthy writings (have you read them?). The devil is in the details, the planning and the execution. And the salad/ice cream example was not an implication against you, but rather just an example of the challenges of Pollan's approach in today's society (not against calorie counters, and I apologize if you misunderstood that). Yet for many people, calorie counting does in fact imply that all calories are equal. Do you think most healthy weighted people around the world or through history count(ed) calories? MTA: There is plenty of science that supports your assertion that a hungry/not hungry sensor can be broken, especially among folks who are or have been overweight. Again, you can eat a sensible portion and walk away still feeling hungry and that is okay. You can do this without counting calories but instead by looking at a reasonably sized plate and placing a reasonable amount of food on it. If you need to count calories every now and then to make sure that what you think is an appropriate plateful really is so, that is certainly fine. The problem comes when people replace sensibility with calorie counting. As I have said elsewhere, that kind of thinking says that a powerbar is equally healthy as a large apple. A compromise: count calories, but only count and eat those calories contained in real food (as opposed to processed foodstuff, powerbars, shakes, etc). Cook your own food. Use only a few ingredients. Try to eat seasonally. MATA: And please don't think I am calling you weak for having had trouble with this. Again, it is very difficult to execute and there are huge hurdles to doing so correctly in our society. Our bodies were made to be on the move, consuming only a few calories and covering perhaps miles every day, and then that perhaps only for 35 years or so. It takes very little to tip us into weight gain or retention, especially when we are less active and have so much food available to us. Most of us average sized folks can live well on 1200-1500 kcalories per day, but it does not feel good. More than that and all the calorie dense foods that promote storage easily derail our mindful attempts at healthy weightedness. It does not make us weak that this happens, it is just biology. Also, FWIW, running a few miles every day and sitting at a desk the rest of the day is not the same thing as being up on your feet all day covering the same distance. Lastly, the OP was not somebody who needed to lose 100-200 lbs, but rather somebody who was looking to shave off just a few pounds. If you have a morbid obesity, all these discussions change. No longer are we talking about a healthy eating style to get through life, but instead we are talking about somebody who has an illness that needs to be treated. In that case, calorie counting and possibly medications/surgery must be considered. For the morbidly obese person, the eat food mantra is inadequate. The same is true for the smoker that you identified. These is a very different cases from the average American who is trying to be active and keep their weight in check.

SMART Approach

Bull fucking shit. Calorie counting is INDEPENDANT of healthy eating habits. You can calorie count shit, or you can calorie count as a way to help learn what is appropriate. It is a TOOL. And what an asinine assumption that I starve myself on salad and than hit the tub of icecream while stuffed. I've done the mindful eating stop when not full stuff. That's nice. But my not hungry sensor is SO broken. If I eat like that, even though I THINK I am eating an appropriate amount to not return to obesity I eat more calories than my body needs. I can get fat without any refined non foods thank you very much. Calorie counting is a way to say STOP now and see what this feels like in 30 or 40 minutes. And for MANY MANY people it DOES promote healthy eating. Yes - the millions of americans who are sucked into the diet shake/fozen meal/starve themselves until they binge is sad. But the people I know- and I bet I know more than you do. The people who have lost 100, 200 lbs and kept it off for 6 years or more?ALL of them calorie count in some fashion or other. Still. And calorie counting was a MEANS to learn to eat FOOD, not too much, mostly plants. Because to be successful, you have to learn what will satisfy. Successful calorie counters do NOT as you suggest stuff themselves on salad and then wonder why they are hungry. They learn that they need protein and fat and boy vegetables fill you a lot more than a frozen dinner. Just quit smoking, stop drinking and depressed? Snap out of it. Many of us had our very lives at stake, and while your mantra sounds pithy, it isnt enough for people who are trying not to die.
      Just curious as I was looking at your profile and picture, you certainly don't appear to have a weight issue. BUT, my assumption is that it has been a battle for you and for many others. The simplicity approach works for most. BUT, I did find in my nutrition counseling and training years that people really needed me. I hate to say that but they depended on my to motivate them,make them accountable and live for that matter. When I left the industry, my clients almost begged me to keep working with them. Unfortunately, many of us are weak. Some of my clients have gone back to being inactive and overweight. Really hard to figure out the human mind. I do know genetics have a huge pull. For example, my wife eats very well, vegetarian etc but is overweight. She has been overweight since a little kid. She was overweight even when she taught 3-4 aerobic classes a day. She is unblessed with an ungodly amount of fat cells. They do shrink but she is overweight. But, she is healthy. One thing I always used as an motivational tool and not saying it applies to anyone here is that in times of weakness or laziness, I would always have my clients ask themselves, "How bad do I want it?. How bad do I want to look better? How bad do I want to have more energy? How bad do I want to be healthier?" Now this worked for me and my clients. AND I would always tell them to not focus on the scale or their weight. Just focus on being healthier. Eat better, exercise more, make sound decisions.......because you can be overweight and healthy! Our society has messed with us and the focus is thin, thin, thin!!!!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wow, a revelation! Shocked Not. Roll eyes
          Mr. Deutschman, who acknowledged the low success rates of most change regimens, said certain strategies were more likely to bring positive results. He boils his conclusions down to four steps. The first, he said, is to “start with big changes, not small ones,” a strategy likely to yield immediate, noticeable benefits that inspire more positive change. The second is to act like the kind of person you are trying to become; even if you hit the jogging trail with 30 pounds of flab, think of yourself as the jock you want to be. The third strategy is to “reframe” the situation. Recovering alcoholics, for example, have a higher chance of success if they reframe their sober life as a divorce from a tumultuous love affair with drinking, because they can then look back at their old life as a romantic adventure, rather than a sinkhole of regret. The fourth, and crucial, strategy, he said, is based on the “don’t do it alone” advice that is the bedrock of 12-step programs.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OR...see a photo of yourself with your husband's obese aunt hiding behind you. Sept. 4, 2003. I was a size 16. I saw that infamous photo maybe a week prior and it bothered the hell out of me. I never again want anyone larger than me hiding behind me. No one hides behind me anymore...with the exception of my scrawny kid, and I'm OK with that. I lost 60#s and I'll be damned if they ever come back. 20 came back about 4 years ago and I have been fighting them ever since. Running has actually made losing them MORE difficult (actually, when I started running I only had 15 to lose...and I have NOT put on muscle, regardless of what people might say in consolation--muscle doesn't make one have to go up a pants size). I lost my weight by eliminating processed carbohydrates and high glycemic ones like white rice and potatoes. Unfortunately it is tough to run on limited high glycemic carbs, but I find it VERY hard to control my out-of-control appetite any time that stuff gets in my mouth. Bad catch-22. It's also very hard to have to analyze every damned thing one puts in one's mouth, which is the only thing that ever worked for me and it eventually drove me to obsessing over food and feeling like eating was torture. I have a feeling this is the sort of thing that a lot of repeat-losers run into. Genetics can be a real bitch, too. At 5'3.5" and 145#s I am BY FAR the tallest and thinnest woman in my family. My sister is probably closing in on 200#s and is a couple of inches shorter than I am. I look at her and see what I fight. She looks like a carbon copy of my grandma, my dad's cousins, and my great aunts. Women that are all as wide as they are tall, and not big eaters. Short, heavy women who eat like birds. I'm the heartiest eater of the bunch. For some reason the males in the family fare better. Stocky, but not usually all that soft and can eat their body weight without gaining. Especially frustrating for us X-chrom types (my brother REALLY lucked-out on this count...the bastard. And he's freakishly tall at 6'3").

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Best thing I've read in a long time:
              In the end, Ms. Leavitt said, she overcame her habit (biting her nails) after visiting a hypnotherapist. “The hypnosis didn’t work, either,” she added, “but something he said did: that I would always want to bite my nails, but the key was that I would want pretty nails more. He was right. I still want to chew my nails to the nubs, but I keep admiring my hands instead.”
              This says a LOT.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

This post is interesting and I think related to the "why is Diet Coke addicting" post. I think habits are very difficult to break such that they become addicting. Running is addicting... chemistry...probably. Having a diet coke for some folks probably stimulates parts of the brain associated with reward/and happiness and there we go and we look forward to that 10:00 am 2:00 pm or 5:00 pm diet drink. Some of us have had a lifelong weird relationship with food and for those that haven't...I am hugely jealous...I personally can't stand diet sodas, am a huge fan of eating healthy foods grown close to home (hard to do in Juneau unless you like fish and harbor seals)...but still will habitually go for more new york cheese cake than necessary. I KNOW what to eat and have 10 wonderful vegetarian cookbooks. My room mate in SF was Deborah Madison's brother so I had access to great food. But for some reason (no doubt found in my brain) I have a hard time doing the right thing every day. I don't count calories per say, but I do know the caloric content of most foods and have a good idea where I ma at in the day. Running has been a great life long habit that has for some reason been much easier to implement than eating green stuff mostly. Tonight I am making butternut squash soup and brocolli and tofu (I really do like good food). Probably around 400 calories
                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  I agree and disagree with Trent and Ennay. I think the key is finding the balance. Calorie counting alone might make you lose weight, initially, but doesn't guarantee that you're eating healthy food. You can eat 1500 calories of M&Ms. Likewise, the Eat food, not too much, mostly plants mantra leads you toward more healthful/mindful eating, but if you don't have a good way to know how much you're eating, then eating "a reasonable portion" of even good food can be too much. Like Ennay, I struggle with my internal hunger/satiation sensor being screwy. I don't eat a lot of crap, but I do like to eat. Calorie counting helps me keep my portion sizes in check. I think the Eat food, not too much, mostly plants mantra is great, and the article is very interesting. But is it realistic for most people? I would argue not. It would take a HUGE lifestyle change to really adopt/adhere to this system. I admire those people who can do it, I really do, but I think it is much more difficult to implement than an approach of, eat good food (as natural as possible) and count the calories so I don't eat too much of it.
                  2009 Goals:
                  PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                  Run a 10K
                  Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                  Complete my first Sprint Tri

Prince of Fatness

It would take a HUGE lifestyle change to really adopt/adhere to this system.
                    True, and the the change would be to a lifestyle that is, really, contradictory to what is sold to us. We are told we should be healthy, but starting at a young age we are bombarded with advertisements for junk food, etc. Reminds me of employers wanting to lower health care costs telling their employees to be healthy. It's hard to live a healthy lifestyle when you think you have to work 10 - 12 hour days, skipping meals or eating crappy ones, for fear of losing your job.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It would take a HUGE lifestyle change to really adopt/adhere to this system.
                      Maybe. Maybe not. I found that it did not. And would a lifestyle change that encourages buying correct food, cooking it yourself and eating in your kitchen or dining room as a family (i.e., what our grandparents and maybe our parents did) be all that bad?

#artbydmcbride

It would be a lot easier if I had a work at home wife! Big grin

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

It would be a lot easier if I had a work at home wife! Big grin
                          This is a good point, one that some of my friends have made to me. Pollan is asking us to go back to the time of our grandparents, and one of the features of that time was a division of labor that saw caring for the household as a sphere of responsibility, one tied up with the role of women. As the pace of life has increased and both partners have moved out of the house into the working world, great things have happened in terms of the choices that women are given. But these same changes led to the neglect of the household sphere to a certain extent (what? men weren't rushing in to fill the void?). So, Ilene's right. We should be careful not to romanticize our grandmother's era. She might have felt like a slave to food, sometimes. But on the other hand, we have opportunity to recognize that those women were also food artists, great cooks, and used that sphere to display amazing amounts of creative autonomy--even though that autonomy often wasn't recognized as valuable by the wider culture. When I see it that way, perhaps there is a space for a (multi-gendered) return to domestic responsibility, an affirmation of it, and a new appreciation for something that we took, too much, for granted. To my mind, that would bring the feminist movement full circle, not only liberating women from the domestic sphere but also recognizing that a full life requires devotion to that sphere, something that we can learn by remembering the women who were not liberated as liberators.

A Saucy Wench

Maybe. Maybe not. I found that it did not. And would a lifestyle change that encourages buying correct food, cooking it yourself and eating in your kitchen or dining room as a family (i.e., what our grandparents and maybe our parents did) be all that bad?
                            But what I am saying and where I strongly disagree with you and Pollan is that there is NOTHING inherent in calorie counting that prevents that. This concept that calorie counting leads you to consider ONLY the calorie values of foods is faulty logic, especially when applied to the individual. In fact for MOST people I know it has been the opposite, especially over time. True there are some people who try to use it as a way to continue eating twinkies, but I have never ever been tempted to "equate a powerbar and an apple" MOST of the people I know who are down in the trenches ACTUALLY losing weight dont either. It is a tool like any other. Its like BMI or the scale. It can be misused by some (insurance companies) and have you think that Ahhhnold was "over weight" or it can be a tool to help you see if you need to look closer. My basic problem is coming back to WHAT makes you think I already dont do most of what Pollan espouses anyway? And for me and many others it simply is not enough. Especially when my maintenance calorie level has dropped over 800 calories in the last 6 months. Calorie counting is really just a way to remain MINDFUL of what I eat. IF I calorie count I eat as pollan suggests. If I dont, I tend not to. And saying pick a small plate and put a small portion on it is still calorie counting, its just in a different form. It is all a method of external portion control when you cant trust the inner cues. Sure, ideally we would have good inner cues, but we all dont. The National Weight Registry weight maintenance studies have shown time and time again that the vast majority of people who maintain a significant weight loss food journal of some type or another.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

I also think it is unrealistic to expect that one would NEVER eat non-food. (Hello poptart man). Business luncheons, school events and social exposure ALONE makes it far more difficult. Your suggestion to only calorie count real food is I think backwards. If you want to to partial calorie counting it would make entirely more sense to calorie count ONLY the NON food items and place a limit on that. Not more than 200 calories of crap in a day would be a good start for a lot of people.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7