Anyone who has run a marathon post here (Read 960 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I am very interested in people's training regimes when doing a marathon, so if you dont mind would you comment here if you have raced/run the distance. Be useful if you could put some further details on it so I can look at the correlation between miles per week and overall time etc. Include the date of the event and so we can look at individual logs and see the training around this time leading up to the marathon. Thanks.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

mikeymike

The last marathon that I really raced was last October 19th, when I ran 2:49:19 (PR).

Runners run

I've done a dozen marathons, with the most recent being this past spring at the end of March and beginning of April. I recommend checking out these two user groups: Marathon Training & Discussions: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MMM/Forum RA Coaching Group: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/RACF/Forum

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

It's been about 15 years since my last marathon but i can just about remember running 50 to 65 miles per week. I'm pretty sure that by the time i lined up for each marathon i'd got about 3 or 4- 23 mile runs in the bank. The main point that i'd like to make is that in my experience, the race day was the easiest part. Can't remember a bad experience in anyone of my 11 marathons completed. Think it was because i gave the distance respect & made sure i'd got the mileage in. Just read in the General Running forum about John A running another marathon after a 20 year lay off. What an inspiration. Something for me to think about. Shocked

"Grasshopper-notice that the supple bamboo yields to the wind, yet does not break."

Purdey

Self anointed title

Gary Awesome marathon time - I see you are not a member of the UK Runners Forum - fancy popping over and joining us?

Prince of Fatness

I've only run one, in the fall of 2007. 3:58. I was shooting for 3:50 - 3:55, but it was a very warm day so I went for sub 4 and got it. While I did have a time goal, I mainly ran this one just to get my feet wet and learn. I didn't log my mileage here at the time, but I would say for the 3 months leading up to the race I averaged somewhere between 45 - 50 mpw. I'd like to be higher than that for my next one. I will say that the mileage was at least consistent. I don't think that I ever dipped much below 45 miles in one week. The other change that I would like to make for my next marathon is to go into the training cycle with a higher base. I would say last time I was in the mid 30's. This time I would like to start at least in the mid 40's.

Not at it at all. 

Gary Awesome marathon time - I see you are not a member of the UK Runners Forum - fancy popping over and joining us?
                Ah found it! Thanks Tom.

"Grasshopper-notice that the supple bamboo yields to the wind, yet does not break."

Purdey

Self anointed title

Good man!

October 5, 2003 Goal time - 3:30 Actual time - 3:41 Averaged a little over 38 mpw 6 months before race; highest mileage week was 54
                      My most recent marathons were 10/12 and 11/23 last year. My next is on 1/18.

Res firma mitescere nescit
                      Running in Tampa

Why is it sideways?

Last marathon fully raced: April 28, 2007. Ran 2:38:06. In marathon training now for another in April. Then: averaged probably 70 a week beforehand, with peak of 100+. Now, hoping to average 80, high of 110+.
                        xor

I've run a few. The most recent one that I "raced" was Seattle at the end of November. But I screwed up. Was intending a 3:25, finished with a very wheezy 3:40. In 2006-2007, I was running 65-80 mpw. In 2008, it was more like 50-75 mpw. For the first six months of this year, I'm going to stick with 65-75.

Right on Hereford...

First and only marathon... Date - May 7, 2006 Goal time - 3:29:59 Actual time - 3:30:28 Training - used Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Training Plan (http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm). Started at 15 mpw, peaked at 40 mpw, with four longest runs of 15, 16, 18, and 20 miles (only 1 of each). Averaged 25 miles per week for the 18 weeks leading up to the marathon. All workouts done at easy pace.
                            Lane

I averaged probably in the 50's but did a couple weeks at 70 when I ran 2:53:25.
                                last race was Oct 2008 at 2:33. Averaged about 130/wk from July til race.
                                And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine