Dogs as children (Read 752 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Beagles and Doxies are 2 of my very favorite kinds of dogs (with the exception of that nasty little Doxie a block over who is gonna get my foot through his face one of these days--either that or he'll end up roadkill as he crosses the street to chomp on my calf). He is an awfully cute and sweet looking guy. I hope he comes through with flying colors and no future scary health issues.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My legs are killing me

Hopefully he pulls through ok. Good luck!
      xor

thanks for the good wishes, folks. Since doggies don't understand "don't move", they put them under to do MRIs. Then, once the doctors locate the specific problem area, they go straight to surgery. Which is where he is now. Sigh. pitrunner, you asked about symptoms. At first, all I noticed was a sudden unwillingness on his part to go up his steps to the couch or to beg by standing against my shins. I took him to the vet Saturday and it was diagnosed as a disk inflammation... as long as I could keep him still for a week, it would get better on its own. BUT, I was told that if he suddenly started walking crazy (drunken) or started dragging his legs, then this meant that the inflammation was now pushing against his spine and that it would be an emergent (aka, go to the ER) situation. "Don't wait." After Saturday's vet visit, which came with a cortisone shot and a fist full of prednisone, he perked up and was acting fairly normal. I caught him trying to go up steps and trying to jump a few times. But I also missed a couple times, and he managed to launch himself off the couch on Sunday afternoon. Things went downhill after that. Over the next few hours, his back legs started working less and less. By 11p, it was obvious that he was doing what the vet said to watch, so we went to the doggie ER. The doggie ER, like the people ER, is a scary place at midnight. The only other pets at the ER at midnight on Sunday are pets in really, really bad shape... and also pet owners who are missing a few screws. While I was there, one guy brought in his two little dogs because they were acting lethargic. Lots of testing ensued. After awhile, it turned out that all these dogs ever got to eat... EVER... was one daily portion of cooked meat, with hamburger grease as a treat sometimes... never dog food, never vegetable material. Dogs are not carnivores (cats are). These dogs were malnourished. I overheard a 30 minute conversation with the vet regarding doggie eating. It was strange. Anyway, Tobias stayed overnight at the pet hospital. When I talked to the neurologist at 8a, his back legs had pretty much ceased motor function. He still had (and hopefully has) some sensation of touch and pain... which is very good news. Assuming the surgery goes well... 80-90% chance of that... he has a 4-6 week recovery period. YIKES. Most breeds of dogs would have a 5-10% chance of recurrence down the road once this happens... but dachshunds with their long backs and squatty legs have a 20% chance.

Maniac 505

Healing vibes to {{{tobias}}} and a manly {{{SR}}} I will be watching how his recovery goes. Dave
            Sorry to hear about Tobias. Hope recovery goes well. I have 2 doxies & let them jump onto the sofa. I know I shouldn't. We were just talking today that we need to get another set of steps for them. They have a set by the bed so they can get up & down from there. They are stubborn aren't they! But that's what makes them special. I'll be thinking of Tobias. Let us know how he does. Vicki
              Will be thinking of you and your little guy... DH and I don't and won't be having kids; Igor our Frenchie is all we have. He almost died last April-he has Addison's Disease (which a lot of people have heard me cry about here at RA) and we almost lost him when it went undetected for a couple of weeks...once he got the proper treatment, he bounced back and is almost good as new! He is our best friend. Thoughts and hugs to you guys.
              dg.

Stevie Ray Robert... ongoing hugs to you. ongoing hugs & healing vibes for Tobias J Funky. health & peace of mind for you both. it's nice of you to think of the 'parent types' as you're going through this. thank you. as a parent to kids & to dogs... neither is easy. how is he? (mta. sorry. missed page 2..) how are you?
                xor

Tobias made it out of surgery and woke up a couple hours ago. He's trying to bite anyone who comes near him Sad. The doctor thinks he's just cranky and possibly hallucinating. I hope the biting thing is temporary. Dachshunds are known as biters (and as a weird point of trivia, dachshunds have the second highest bite pressure of all dog breeds), but my little boy has always been the sweetest dog EVER. He's never bitten nor tried to bite any other living creature. His normal vet used to comment on this all the time when he was in for checkups. Anyway. Don't know anything yet about whether the surgery had the desired outcome. The doctor did tell me that when he got in there, it was a lot worse than he was expecting but he thought 'it is reasonable that he'll walk again'. I *think* he was trying to be positive, but phrased it not-so-great. Sigh. Real Life.

SR - He probably just plain don't feel good. Poor little guy. And there's no way to tell them, "Hang in there!" Hope he comes out of this just fine and dandy. We don't have kids, but have 5 cats, and have had to bury two in the 21+ years we've been married. Our oldest is 18+ years old (and is actually irritating the heck outta me at this very moment 'cause he thinks he should be on my lap Wink ). It never ceases to amaze me how their furry little bodies just crawl their way straight into our hearts.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

SR, not sure if dogs respond to anesthesia the same way people do, but a couple of years ago my sun had oral surgery and came out of it meaner than a badger. He is normally a very affectionate, happy-go-lucky kid, but holy shit...he was enraged and crying uncontrollably (and it wasn't even general...just a sedative and local anesthetic). A few hours later he was eating Spicy Cheez-Its and cracking bad jokes. One thing kids and dogs would have in common after surgery is pain and an inability to understand the purpose behind it. I'm sure the combo of residual drugs in his system combined with discomfort would explain his snarliness. I hope he is back to his gentle ways by morning. (((Tobias)))

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

Good luck with your doggie! I have a soft spot for all dogs coming out of surgery because they have no idea what happened and why they feel bad. I worked at a vets for 4 years (bit 2x both times dachsunds!) ANyway I am sure he is wondering where you are!
                        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                        Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

He's been through a lot, give him time . and you hang in there.
                          pitrunner

Thanks so much for the in-depth run down of the symptoms. I always like to pass on doxie back info to my sister so she can have a better grasp of what's normal and what's not. She's very protective of their backs, but they're little rapscallions and you can only do so much. Lots of healing vibes going out to little Tobias! Hang in there buddy!
                            redleaf

{{hugs}} wishing Tobias a speedy - and complete - recovery. As an aside, your dog and my DH have the same name. Big grin

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

anneb

Oh no, keeping all fingers/paws crossed. Don't worry too much about anesthesia - I think it is common for animals to come out of it cranky. I know mine have. I was once waiting to pick up my cat after a procedure and couldn't figure out what was taking so long, it turned out no one could get near her since she was growling and biting so much. Alas, she was fine once she readjusted at home. <--- this guy is definitely my child. this="" guy="" is="" definitely="" my=""></--- this guy is definitely my child.>

Anne