Numbness (Read 1120 times)

Tortoise

So, here's a weird question. On two occasions this week, I've noticed that close to the end of a run, my feet start going numb. My right foot is worse than my left foot. It doesn't make me stop, there's no pain afterwards, but... WTF? The only thing I've been able to think is that my feet are overheating -- in the last ten days or so, I've switched from running outside to running on the treadmill, where it's obviously warmer -- but that doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. I'm also coming to the end of C25K, so I'm running for longer and not stopping for walk intervals, but that shouldn't make my feet go numb, right?! Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

Driver, Runner, Bestie

I experience numbness in my fingers. I have to shake out my hands quite a bit, so I am curious to see the replies.
      Chris UK

I'm not qualified to give you any medical advice but you might eliminate other possibilities first. Make sure your shoes are not too worn and that you are not 'pounding' the treadmill. Loosen the laces on your trainers so that you can slip them on and off with no difficulty. There is no need to have your shoes any tighter than this, particularly for indoor running, and if your feet are prone to swelling then there will already be a bit of slack in there.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've gotten this...I think in my case it's chronic compartment syndrome. I don't get it all the time...here and there, maybe for a few runs, then I can go months without any issue. No real rhyme or reason to it, though it does seem to be in part an exertion-related thing. I have had it a bit in the past couple of weeks, as I started running more on snow and ice, again. That definitely gives my legs a greater workout. But it already seems to be easing back as I re-acclimate to that sort of running effort.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I get this a lot. Even in my new shoes. I think it's a nerve issue. Not sure.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Last time I got this my pedorthist said that it was just that the compartment that the nerves in your feet go through gets squished when your feet swell. When the nerve gets pressed on, it goes numb, then comes back when you finish your run and take off your shoes. I have orthotics so he put a bump in them that sort of spreads the foot apart slightly so it doesn't happen. I just noticed that lately it is coming back so it might be that my orthotics are old. I'm going back to see him. Loosening up the laces usually helps me too. And wearing thinner socks.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Tortoise

Loosened laces, problem solved. Thanks for the help, everyone. It seems that when my parents told me as a child to be sure and tie my shoes tight, it sunk in a bit more than they thought it did!
                "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

I experience numbness in my fingers. I have to shake out my hands quite a bit, so I am curious to see the replies.
                  The numbness in your fingers could be caused by running with your shoulders too tense. When I have had this though it only affects the index finger and possibly the thumb although I don't recall exactly. I could also feel the pain in my upper back on the same side as the numb index finger. Running with my shoulders more relaxed and taking an overall break in the high miles at the time helped.

Former runner

Loosened laces, problem solved.
                    I have a pair of shoes that will cause me problems if I get them the slightest bit too tight. I also have two other brands of shoes don't cause any problems. So it could be something specific to a certain model. I always tie my shoes to allow for my feet to swell a bit once I start running.

Ross

jayvee33

I once had a pair of shoes that caused problems. However, I have a narrow heel so loosening the laces relieved the top of my foot but caused my heel to slip. I used a "lock" lacing technique which helped keep the heel from slipping similar to Method 1 at this site. http://www.shoe-lacing.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm
                        The numbness in your fingers could be caused by running with your shoulders too tense. When I have had this though it only affects the index finger and possibly the thumb although I don't recall exactly. I could also feel the pain in my upper back on the same side as the numb index finger. Running with my shoulders more relaxed and taking an overall break in the high miles at the time helped.
                        Huskerboiler, Check out Herniated Disk, c6/c7 thread. The symptoms you describe are classic c6/c7 disc problems – be careful.

Huskerboiler, Check out Herniated Disk, c6/c7 thread. The symptoms you describe are classic c6/c7 disc problems – be careful.
                          Good catch achilles... I didn't notice that. I agree..shoulder pain is definitely part of my issues. However I would also say that the pain generally starts up close to the neck and then moves down as it worsens. Good day: little shoulder pain Med day: shoulder and tricep pain Bad day: shoulder, tricep, forearm pain, index & middle finger tingling. However, now that I am somewhat on the mend, I can have finger tingling without arm pain. Also, now that the pain came to a head a month ago and I got everything checked out, I went back to my training logs over the last 3 years. There were numerous instances where my shoulder hurt for a week and then went away. No neck pain ever. Other occaisons of shoulder and tricep pain for a week and then went away. Now it is obvious to me that my herniation occurred sometime in the distant past and has been gradually worsening until finally it hit me hard. Hopefully, this isn't the case with you. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
                          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.