My very first race report ever.. (Read 714 times)

Double IPA Please!

I had my 10mile race this morning. Woke up feeling VERY anxious, could barely choke back a few bites of a cliff bar and drank some coffee.. Since the race is right out my back door I just walked up with my family. I did a warm-up with some striders as well as stretching. My mom and I walked up to get our packet and bibs. I did not bring my Ipod with me as the race said no headphones, but when I got there about 30% of the people had them. My husband went back home to get the camera and I told him to grab my headphones as well. We found our way to the start and I decided that I was not going to use my headphones and just absorb the atmosphere. My mom told me to run my own race and focus on me and not her (after all she is the marathon runner). As much as I told myself to not go out fast, I still managed to not go out as slow as I intended to as I got caught up in the moment (dammit). It took me about 3 miles before I could relax (but not enough to loosen my shoulders up-ouch). I ran the course last weekend so I knew what to expect and when. I ended up walking 3 seperate times at about a minute a clip because my knee. I don't think I wrapped them tight enough. I ran with my mom for the most part then I gradually fell about 30 second behind her and then ended up coming in about 2 minutes behind her. The course is a bitch, it really is, it is very rolling with a couple of doozy hills with one being in the last mile (which I felt prepared for because I have run that hill plenty of times)for some reason it kicked my butt today. My time was 1:46:45, which I don't think was all that bad for my first "Official Race". I can only build from here. I made a few key mistakes I feel (not eating prior, starting too fast and not taping my knee tight enough). My goal was to finish, but I was able to go faster than I had thought I would. All in all, it was a good experience. This also was my first run EVER without my Ipod, I cant help but wonder if that played into the factor, I know a few times I thought.."If I had my music I could pump it up right about here". My husband surprised me with framing my bib # along with a picture of me crossing the finish line! My 10 year old met up with me when I had about .25 mile to go with a towel and ran next to me on the sidewalk cheering me on. Smile Since we live in the area my husband and kids as well as my mothers husband met us at different points on intersecting sideroads to cheer us on as well. I tell you, it really does help to have people cheering you on. So, that was it.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

Dog-Love

I though when I would look at your profile that you would be a 16 year old racing with your mom but you had 3 generations of you guys at the race. Congratulations! A very decent time and it sounds like you got some real helpers. 10 miles is a long way to run and you should definitely be proud of yourself....and your mom!
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        Excellent result, good job! I like the ipod for zoning out on long training runs. For an actual race I would think it better to stay focused on running. 1:46 is a great time, Congrats again.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

congratulations! sounds like you had a good race and learnt some stuff for next time too - perfect!
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hey, that's wonderful! You rocked that race. I'm impressed that you picked a 10-miler for your very first race! A 5k will be anticlimactic after that. It's cool that you ran it with your mom - I hope my daughter can say that when she's your age! Cool
              Nice race Denise. 10 miler for your first race.... ballsy WTG Jason

SMART Approach

Great job. The great thing about racing is that you learn (hopefully) what you need to do to be better the next time.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

10 miler for your first race.... ballsy WTG
                  Jason's right, there aren't too many that dive into the deep end for their first. Make sure your base is solid, then keep aiming high. Looks like the sky's the limit, nicely done Denise!

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Double IPA Please!

Thanks guys! You all really helped me accomplish this with your advice and tips. I have learned so much in the short time that I have been here. Upward and onward. I'm gonna rest today and then back to building my base up some more. I don't have anything else planned for right now, I have to take a look around and see what there is. The next things on my agenda don't come until September or so.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Double IPA Please!

Jason's right, there aren't too many that dive into the deep end for their first. Make sure your base is solid, then keep aiming high. Looks like the sky's the limit, nicely done Denise!
                      Thanks- yeah I know. 10 for my first. I really wanted to be able to do this and I feel I gave myself plenty of time to train. I know a few times my husband told me to try the 5k first, but I'm so stubborn with an A-type personality to boot that I just had to set my goal a little higher. Earlier in the week I did a mock 5k on the course (since it was a 5k as well as a 10miler) since they had it all marked off already. I'm not quite prepared to skip the half to go to a whole marathon though- not that crazy Tongue So my next goal is the half. I honestly feel I could probably do a half now, but I want to be more prepared with a few 15 milers in prior to doing a half and focus a little more on time vs. just finishing.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awesome first race! And now you share an addiction with a lot of us here. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

very very nice!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Way to go Denise, This was a pretty big chunk you bit off for your first one alright. Congratulations!
                            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Another Passion

Congratulations, Denise! Awesome first race and distance for it. I ran a 10 miler back in January and they are really tough! The family support is awesome and kudos to your husband for commemorating the race for you as it was quite an accomplishment! Great job! Wink

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

GreenMan

Nicely done, run and report, DM23 On the food, I'd experiment with a gel (maybe caffeinated) before the race and maybe one in the middle for this distance. I'm not an expert, just a thought. jjj
                                Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.