Allegra vs. Zyrtec (Read 1422 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Any insight? I have been on Allegra for almost 3 years...plus Flonase for a couple of years...and Advair 250/50 for asthma for the past year. Unfortunately, it seems that the seasonal allergies beast is hitting me extra hard all of a sudden this past week. The nasal steroids work reasonably well, but I still need the help from an additional oral med. I think if I can better control my allergies that the asthma will also not be such an issue, at least this is what my PCP has alluded to. A couple of years ago I was on Singulair, which did little, unfortunately. I've heard good things about Zyrtec, but wonder if it will be much more effective than the Allegra. I'm assuming that since this is also available OTC that there would be a generic prescription version, too...correct? Gah, I am just so danged sick and tired of being sick and tired EVERY FRIGGIN' SPRING!!! My mom has even commented that she remembers how miserably sick I would get ever since about junior high. There were no nasal steroid sprays or non-drowsy allergy treatments then, either (Benadryl still probably works best for me, but knocks me flat on my ass and makes me feel dehydrated all the time).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Allegra requires a prescription, Zyrtec is over the counter. Allegra is brand-only, Zyrtec comes in generics. Allegra is a big pill, Zyrtec is a small pill. But they both work about the same, although there seems to be a lot of individual variation in response to these. Zyrtec being OTC, why are you asking? Just go try it out.
      DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Zyrtec makes me so tired that I can barely function...even when I took it at night...but I have heard that is does not affect everyone like this. Good luck - I hope you find the combo that works for ya...it's all trial and error...

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have heard that is does not affect everyone like this
          It does this to about 10% of people who take it. So does Allegra.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Oh, I'll just jump in my car and bring over my bottle of Zyrtec for you to try. I have almost a full bottle because it did nothing for me. But my snot problems might have been more of a cold and less allergy related. 'Think you could make me a sandwich when I get there? I might be a little hungry from the cross country drive. Clowning around
            Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Allegra requires a prescription, Zyrtec is over the counter. Allegra is brand-only, Zyrtec comes in generics. Allegra is a big pill, Zyrtec is a small pill. But they both work about the same, although there seems to be a lot of individual variation in response to these. Zyrtec being OTC, why are you asking? Just go try it out.
              Ahhh...I thought there was a prescription dosage that was different. I thought there was an OTC version of Allegra, too...? I'm on Allegra 180, I thought there was an OTC that was about half that strength. I've also heard that Zyrtec gives some people drowsiness issues (which is why I haven't yet tried it...I keep envisioning the sort of effects I get from Benadryl and other OTC antihistamines). I haven't heard that about Allegra, but it's not been a side effect for me. But if it's only 10% that deal with that I definitely want to give it a try. OK, so how $$ is the OTC Zyrtec? That's one advantage of the Allegra...$5/month, since the script is generic.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, I'll just jump in my car and bring over my bottle of Zyrtec for you to try. I have almost a full bottle because it did nothing for me. But my snot problems might have been more of a cold and less allergy related. 'Think you could make me a sandwich when I get there? I might be a little hungry from the cross country drive. Clowning around
                Ha, if you don't drive too fast I can even run out and get all the ingredients you'd like. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ahhh...I thought there was a prescription dosage that was different. I thought there was an OTC version of Allegra, too...? I'm on Allegra 180, I thought there was an OTC that was about half that strength.
                  You thought wrong. Wink
                  I've also heard that Zyrtec gives some people drowsiness issues
                  You heard right. But they all can do that.
                  OK, so how $$ is the OTC Zyrtec? That's one advantage of the Allegra...$5/month, since the script is generic.
                  Allegra is not generic. Zyrtec is probably more expensive since you have to pay the full price. I'd suspect that a generic would be ~$10-15 per month.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Allegra is not generic. Zyrtec is probably more expensive since you have to pay the full price. I'd suspect that a generic would be ~$10-15 per month.
                    Ok, maybe "Allegra" is not generic, but Fexofenadine is...are you playing a semantics game, Dr. Trent? Confused If Fexofenadine were not generic I'd be paying a lot more than $5/month (our standard generic prescription drug co-pay) for it.

~ Sarah Kay

Zoomy, FWIW, I also spent my junior high and high school years in a fog every spring because Benedryl was the only thing that worked, but it made me soo tired I could barely function. I tried Allegra and it did absolutely nothing for me. Zyrtec has worked great for me for the past 3 years. It does not make me tired at all like the Benedryl did. I actually can make it through the month of May now without either sleeping through it or having sneezing fits. Although I do hate it now that it's OTC and my insurance doesn't cover it.
                      Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy, FWIW, I also spent my junior high and high school years in a fog every spring because Benedryl was the only thing that worked, but it made me soo tired I could barely function. I tried Allegra and it did absolutely nothing for me. Zyrtec has worked great for me for the past 3 years. It does not make me tired at all like the Benedryl did. I actually can make it through the month of May now without either sleeping through it or having sneezing fits.
                        Oh, this sounds so promising! Your reactions to things appear to be similar to mine. Oh, and what made junior high allergy issues even worse was that our Science teacher liked to pop Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" tapes in during class and shut the lights off. He would get pissed when I would completely zonk-out in class, but I physically could. not. stay. awake. Benadryl + soothing Sagan + dark room = not-so-zoomy zoomy.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ok, maybe "Allegra" is not generic, but Fexofenadine is...are you playing a semantics game, Dr. Trent? Confused If Fexofenadine were not generic I'd be paying a lot more than $5/month (our standard generic prescription drug co-pay) for it.
                          Oh, oops, I forgot that. Time moves forward.
                            Oh, this sounds so promising! Your reactions to things appear to be similar to mine. Oh, and what made junior high allergy issues even worse was that our Science teacher liked to pop Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" tapes in during class and shut the lights off. He would get pissed when I would completely zonk-out in class, but I physically could. not. stay. awake. Benadryl + soothing Sagan + dark room = not-so-zoomy zoomy.
                            I had a biology class that the teacher left the lights off for also. I had trouble staying awake so I would try to not take any Benadryl too close to her class. Which meant it had totally worn off by the time her class was over. I spent one class period sneezing the entire time, even though I went ahead and took another Benedryl. It didn't take effect in time. At the end of that school year she gave out awards to some of the students. Mine was "Miss Allergy" Undecided Look for a small starter pack of Zyrtec, I know they carried them last year, so I'm assuming they are still out there. Was like a 5 pack for right around $5.99. Gives you enough to try them for a few days to see if they will work. (Seems to take a few days for me if I'm in full blown "mess mode") and you're not out too much money if they don't.
                            Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, oops, I forgot that. Time moves forward.
                              Where have you been for at least the last 3 years? Wink

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Look for a small starter pack of Zyrtec, I know they carried them last year, so I'm assuming they are still out there. Was like a 5 pack for right around $5.99. Gives you enough to try them for a few days to see if they will work. (Seems to take a few days for me if I'm in full blown "mess mode") and you're not out too much money if they don't.
                                Even better! Apparently the OTC version is generic (does this mean the script would be, too?). Meijer had their store version on sale...it's usually $18/45, but it was $3 off. So I can try it for 6 weeks, which will get me through the worst of Spring allergy season if it works...and if it does I will know to ask my PCP about a full script or just keep buying the OTC generic when it's on sale.

~ Sarah Kay