Cold, hard, shoes (Read 841 times)

nextyearcubs

Does this happen? Specifically, does cold weather make your shoes harder, thus absorbing less impact and making my feet sore? I run in Brooks Beast '08's which are a pretty comfortable shoe, but I noticed that, mainly on long runs, my feet get more sore in the cold as the miles add up, especially after 12 miles or so. In warmer weather, not so much. The shoes have gel in them, so maybe it thickens up... I'm perfectly willing to accept the fact that I just need more training at longer distances, but the last few long runs I've done, my feet were really barking at the end, and the shoes aren't worn out (less than 100 miles) and feel great on shorter runs. I'm also curious if anyone has used those heating insoles that hunters use, because wearing heavier socks doesn't really help much, and probably just makes things worse because there isn't as much room in there as there should be. But maybe the heated insoles would help keep the shoes warm and pliable when temps get in the 30s.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

JimR

It looks like your last few long runs may have been the longest you've gone, at least in a while. I don't know if you can separate the effects of just running longer than you're used to from the shoes themselves. I personally have never had an issue with shoes in cold weather, and I run outside all winter in temps to -25C (-13F).
      nextyearcubs

They are the longest, and that's what makes it hard to tell. I've increased distance this month and I'll probably just stay where I am for little while and get stronger at the 13-17 mile distances before pushing longer. But if it is the shoes than maybe I'll wait until spring to make the push.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

jfa

I ran outside all winter long in as low as 12*f, and never noticed a difference in my shoes. I also have not used inserts. I think that as long as you're running,your feet should be warm.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I definitely notice this. And it's more noticeable the denser the midsole is, at least with the NB models I've worn. The shoe that seems to be the least affected by temperature is the one that has the lighter-weight, more flexible, squishy midsoles to start with. It seems to happen any time the temps dip much below 40, in my experience.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Old, Slow, Happy

For what it's worth, I run in Beasts and I never noticed it. I'm taking this week off, but I bet I'll notice it next week since you pointed it out. I can't wait to get started again to find out!!!

thumbs up!

I'm not as experienced as you guys, but I swear I notice stiffer shoes in the cold too. It's like they don't "bend", and I feel less stable.
                2010 Goals
                1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
                2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
                3. sub 30 min 5k
                4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10

Why is it sideways?

I think it has more to do with the feet being cold and tight than the shoe. The feet, much more than the shoe, are what reduce shock and provide balance. The foot is complicated and must warm up, just like everything else. If your foot is not warming up, try loosening the laces a bit.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think it has more to do with the feet being cold and tight than the shoe. The feet, much more than the shoe, are what reduce shock and provide balance. The foot is complicated and must warm up, just like everything else.
                    Maybe, but I notice a difference with different shoes, even under identical weather and warm-up conditions. Or 2 days in a row in a single model of shoe...one day with warmer temps (ie 50-60ยบ) and the other below freezing (see my avatar--this is no joke in my neck o' the woods)--it's like wearing 2 totally different shoes, sometimes.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I notice this only when the temps get into the single digits. Something else that I think has a bigger impact is that all of the surfaces are harder once the ground freezes. I run on ashphalt and gravel and the gravel is noticeably harder when frozen.
                        A few weeks ago, this question was also brought up in the gears and wears forum, see this (short) thread: 'Freezing midsoles'

Running in Belgium
                        Ann

I notice this only when the temps get into the single digits. Something else that I think has a bigger impact is that all of the surfaces are harder once the ground freezes. I run on ashphalt and gravel and the gravel is noticeably harder when frozen.
                          I was thinking the same thing. Asphalt is a lot harder in the cold. Imagine how your feet feel after running a long run on concrete- doesn't matter what shoes you are wearing, it still hurts!

Member Since 2008

"does cold weather make your shoes harder," Only if you leave your shoes outside. When you run, you create friction which creates heat.
                              Never noticed a difference with shoes in cold weather. Winter is a great time of year to run long bt the way. I never need to carry water in winter and I often go on 20 to 25km runs during the winter with no need for rehydrating. I couldn't go half that distance during the other seasons.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I've never noticed a difference here, and I've run in temps down close to 0 F.