Running outside after being a treadmiller...discouraging and embarrassing! (Read 2818 times)

nina.h

I'm a very new runner. I do about 20-30 minutes on the treadmill when I get to the fitness center on campus, and so far I've felt pretty good about my progress, as marginal as it may be (I just joined RunningAhead, so my log is very skimpy). I've felt less winded, more confident in my abilities. However, I decided to run outside today, since the weather's been really brisk and beautiful, and I could hardly make it a half mile without feeling winded, completely discouraged and embarrassed. I felt like a fake--there were people walking on the path I was on and it was so humiliating to stop in front of them. It's one thing to switch up my pace on a treadmill, since I'm next to other people who are doing the same thing, but getting winded and stopping in front of people is another. I just want to be in shape! Angry Ugh! Is that too much to ask? I don't know what the point of this post is. I guess I just need some encouragement or sympathy or a good pep talk. Thanks. Smile
      nina, don't worry about it. Enjoy your run! Whatever it is! You're running for YOU. All of us are at different levels. You'll find a wealth of knowledge here to help you. Enjoy!! Good Running Vicki
        Don't get discouraged! You may have just went out at too fast a pace. I can understand having done the same thing myself. Being outside after running on a TM can get one excited, adrenaline kicks in, and bam: too fast. Don't sweat it and don't let it keep you from enjoying your run, whether inside or out.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Nina, just keep at it! When I started a year and a half ago, I would try to do just a minute or two more each run, and sometimes I couldn't do that. My calendar from a year ago today shows that I made it 23.5 minutes. Today I ran 8.6 miles in one hour, 37 minutes. Increase your mileage very gradually, and keep slowing down when you feel winded. Keeping a log helps a lot, too. You can do it! Teresa
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You can run 20-30 minutes...that's more than a lot of people can claim! Smile I think the transition from treadmill to street is hard for a lot of folks. Outside you have wind and inclines. Keep working at it, you'll get faster and be able to go further, I promise. In a couple of years you'll look back and think "damn, look how much I've accomplished!" Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

obiebyke

I recently made that transition, too. It's hard! Concrete sidewalk pavement is even harder, for me at least, than asphalt bike path pavement. Don't know if that was a factor in your run. But everyone's right--stick with it and it'll get better. Be sure to run on your muscles, not your bones. And remember that, even though you had to stop, the walkers were WALKING. You were RUNNING, at least for a while. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Giant Flaming Dork

Just wanted to echo most of the comments. The treadmill can fool you a little bit. 0% incline is really not like running on flat ground. From running both indoors and outdoors, I've found that for my treadmill 2% is about the same as a flat surface. 0% on my treadmill is most definitely like running downhill. Don't get discouraged!

http://xkcd.com/621/

Bugs

I have a tough time making the transition too, so much that I tend to run most of my runs outside, with only an occassional easy run on the TM. You shouldn't be embarrassed stopping to walk, no one knows how far you ran. I ran with two other people today and two of us (me included) had a spot during the run we needed to take a walking break.

Bugs

I also ran strictly on the treadmilll for quite a while. I switched to outside running last spring. I think the hardest part for me, like someone else mentioned, was my pace. It's easy to go too fast outside and wear yourself out quickly. Once you get comfortable pacing yourself, you'll love it. I only run on the treadmill now when I'm traveling and am stuck in a hotel in a part of town I'm not comfortable running in. I'd way rather run outside in the cold/rain than inside on the treadmill. As far as what other people are thinking, why would they possibly care how fast you are going? They are focused on their own workout and probably barely even notice you are there. When I run in a race, I admire the people who are at the end of the pack more than the front. It takes way more balls to get out there and run slow than to be the guy in the lead.
                    Len

Damn Yankee

Don't be discouraged Nina, and just keep running. You'll get there soon enough. You are out there trying which is more than what most people are doing. The hard work and time you invest in your fitness are what make it so sweet.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

The Greatest of All Time

You had a bad run. It happens to every one. Keep at it. It will get better.
                        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                        finney

Resident pinniped

If you need to walk, walk. Beats overdoing it and getting hurt. When you're a beginner you don't have to run 100% of your runs and you probably shouldn't. Try to work on building endurance right now. Try running at an easy pace for 10 minutes, then walking for 1 or 2 and repeating that 3 or 4 times. When you can do that easily increase the running intervals or cut down the walking intervals. Before you know it you'll have 5 miles behind you and it'll seem like a breeze.
                            Welcome to RA Nina. Give yourself time, you'll see changes before you know it. I've found that going from the treadmill to outside is very different and your body has to adjust. Be patient and don't worry about what others think. You'll do fine. Smile When I first got back into running I thought I would head out and easily do a mile run, I didn't make it a half mile before I realized that I had lots of work to do. My breathing was out of control, my legs felt heavy, I didn't feel like a runner at all. It took me a while, but I slowed down and gave my body time to get used to running again.

Michelle

skinnycaponesugar

A huge part of learning to run is persevering. Look ahead, you can do it! the one rule is keep at it.

Love, Run, Sleep

It's the adjustment that's the difficulty, not the outdoors. The few times I go to a treadmill, I'm running at least 30sec/km slower than I would be outdoors, sweating like you wouldn't believe, and can only go about 45 minutes max when my daily runs were more than that outside, and my long ones a little over 2 hours. And for me, the dreadmill on 0% is significantly harder going than outside. Good luck!