Mental Toughness (Read 1114 times)

I'm a sophomore girl in high school and for track I am running the 2 mile. I run about 30mpw, some easy with speed workouts/hills. My best time so far is 14:30, but I know that I can do better - I'm not as tired as I should be at the end. I run better at practice than in meets, so I think my problem is with mental toughness. Is there anything that you tell yourself when your racing that helps you run faster?

I ran the 2 mile in HS. It was my favorite race. Pick a faster time (ie 14:15 or maybe even 14:00) and figure out the splits and then just run it lap by lap focusing only on making that lap split. Don't worry about other runners, just run your splits. I always had a split plan for my 2 mile races. Effort wise, if you get to the 1 mile and are almost wondering how you will finish, that is how you should feel. Focusing on splits is one way of getting your mind off the fact that you are hurtin. Running fast hurts and it will take practice to get to where you can ignore how it feels and keep going or even go faster.
      Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
      rlemert

I've never really had any sort of 'mantra' that I've used for racing. When I ran track I just knew that my teammates were going to give their best in their races and that they were counting on me to do the same. What I've found works the best is if you can race against someone that's just a little faster than you are and focus on beating them. It will be easier to do this if that person is a teammate so you know how her times compare to yours, but there are ways to identify competitors that would fit the bill. You could always ask your coach to identify a target for you. He or she can use previous race results for the other team to identify likely targets, or even ask the other coach what he/she expects her girls to do in that day's race. Another approach that comes to mind is to see where everyone is after about two laps into your race. At that point focus on working your way past the runner in front of you, and on preventing anyone behind you from passing you. If you do get passed, stay with the passer. Also, don't 'sweat' the situation too much. As you gain more race experience you'll learn what works for you and what doesn't. Even Olympians learn something new about themselves during their Olympic races. Sometimes they learn what works, sometimes it's what doesn't.
        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Have you talked to your coach about it? Maybe you need to tweak training if you aren't able to push as hard on race day. Because you've said training runs are no problem, just race day, I suspect it's a confidence issue. Are you able to do anyt practise runs on the race course? Familiarity can help with race day nerves too.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

MrH

Congratulations on your dedication to training. With 30 mpw I'm sure you can get big improvements in your two mile time. What pace do you run in training? What is your best 800m or mile time? The key to running your best in a race is running even splits, or as close as possible. This is the most efficient way to run. The first few laps should feel easy (most of the runners go out much too hard, only to slow later) and progressively you will expend more effort with each lap. Running track you can just focus on your splits that you accomplish in training and ignoring everything else. Write them on your hand if necessary. If you are unsure of running even pace over a whole lap, have a friend/parent stand half way around the track so you can get your splits every 200m and know how you are doing against your goal pace. For a two mile run this would give you an update every 16th of the race and make sure you run evenly.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I'm a sophomore girl in high school and for track I am running the 2 mile. I run about 30mpw, some easy with speed workouts/hills. My best time so far is 14:30, but I know that I can do better - I'm not as tired as I should be at the end. I run better at practice than in meets, so I think my problem is with mental toughness. Is there anything that you tell yourself when your racing that helps you run faster?
              I dont have any suggestiions for you but keep out there and keep working and keep trying. I wish I could get my Soph daughter and Jr son in their running shoes and on the road (my son runs XC but I cant get him to run on the off season - thus he isnt very fast during the season).....KEEP IT UP....... I am guessing also that if you figure your preferred splits and then do your best to run them in a meet (exp 1:40 x400) and if you know your splits and focus on them, you will develop the toughness. Dont think of the race in terms of 2 miles - think of it in terms of 8x400 splits. I never ran track -- so Im just guessing this might help so take my advice with a grain of salt...and disregard if you dont like this advice..

Champions are made when no one is watching

Scout7

I think your problem is that you race your workouts and having nothing to give when it comes time to race. Mantras are not a magic bullet. The point of them is to help you focus on the task at hand, to induce a calm, relaxed state. You do not get to that point by just repeating some words to yourself. You get to that point through practicing relaxation and meditation. And all of that is completely meaningless if you're not training properly in the first place.
                  Thanks for all of the advice. I have another meet tomorrow and I will try these suggestions. I have talked to my coaches, but they say that it's a mental thing. In practice, I am not pushing so hard that I have nothing to give on race day, but my coaches say that seeing how I am in practice, I should have a faster race. In practice a couple days ago, we ran an 800 in a speed workout and I got 2:57. I haven't timed a mile, but in my last 2 mile race, the mile split was around 7.

Why is it sideways?

jdoyle: your problem could be that you are trying too hard. You may be, in a way, too mentally tough. The best runners run relaxed. So, listen to your coaches for sure, but try to let the race come to you. You've got the whole spring season ahead of you, and if you keep at it your times are gonna drop, and you'll fly. Run confident and relaxed. Good luck!
                    MrH

2:57 for 800m suggests you are in shape for about a 14 minute time, especially if you have been doing the mileage. Were the laps in the 800m even, i.e. about 89 seconds each? Next time you run a two-mile race try to get your splits every 400m. The goal should be to run them all at the same pace. Knowing that you ran 7 minutes for the first mile and 7:30 for the second suggests you didn't slow too much, but within each lap did you run fairly evenly? Running even pace may feel counter-intuitive as it will appear too easy at the start, but you want to reserve enough for the latter stages of the race so that you can maintain the same pace. Run relaxed at the start and try to maintain that form. With practice you can learn to run even splits and that will help optimize your time.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Corny race thoughts that have worked for me at one time or another... When in the middle of the race and it starts to get tough, pick out a competitor and say to yourself, "I am stronger than you. I am just getting warmed up." Do not waste energy by looking at them while you leave them in your dust...Smile Visualize yourself running relaxed. Shoulders down. Smooth stride. Smile.
                          find someone ahead of you to hate. it doesn't matter why you hate them. just make something up. then beat them. another method: i once ran a mile in JV and with 300 meters i started to pick it up and with 200 meters i moved into the lead. i knew next 2 guys did not have much left so i would win. it was only JV so i did not think it was going to be a big deal. but then my coach and 2 other runners started yelling at me with 100 meters to go. they made like someone was going to overtake me. i pushed like hell... and turned around to see i won by about 10 seconds. i was kind of mad at them for a minute as i nearly puked but i laughed eventually and i did PR the mile by 3 seconds. so my coach was happy.

jules2

I think your problem is that you race your workouts and having nothing to give when it comes time to race. Mantras are not a magic bullet. The point of them is to help you focus on the task at hand, to induce a calm, relaxed state. You do not get to that point by just repeating some words to yourself. You get to that point through practicing relaxation and meditation. And all of that is completely meaningless if you're not training properly in the first place.
                            With you on this one Scout, my friend around the corner has a running gait thats just so smooth he seems to float, he was a really good runner years ago, he's a lot younger than me, if I meet him when we are out running I struggle to keep up, yet he hasn't beaten me in a race for at least three years and we race quite often. The penny still hasn't dropped with him and I don't think I dare try to say anything.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

grateful runner

Its about how you prepare (practice) Set manageable goals and get into the habit of success. When you can't imagine not succeeding, you have gained all the confidence you need. Do the visualizing trick... See yourself nailing the pace - over and over - then go out and do it.
                              2009 Goals 1500 Miles 21:30 5K 1:40 Half Marathon 3:45 Marathon 200 Mile month
                              vengeancewins

As a sub 10 two miler (don't actually have the PR...yet) I know a lot about the event. Your problem might be as simple as just needing to relax. Don't overstress the race. Just do whatever you gotta do and know that if you do that you have nothing to worry about. Another problem could be that you just aren't pushing a fast enough pace. It can be really hard to increase your pace during the race, but if you start stronger and push yourself a little more, you will see huge improvements. Then on the last lap try to pick up your pace one last time and kick the last 100m with everything you got left in the tank. If that still doesn't work, then you may need to do more longer intervals. If you are able to recover very quickly after the race, you have the aerobic capacity to be a lot better, but don't have your legs moving fast enough yet. Leg speed certainly can be improved by doing a lot of 10 second hill sprints, but strong interval workouts of 1k with very little recovery can teach the body to be more mentally tough. The key to these intervals is to make sure you don't have enough time to fully recover so the body learns how to keep running fast when tired. You don't have to do these intervals ridiculously fast, but you just have to be consistent with your pace. I believe any one of those tips I mentioned should get you well on your way to being a better runner. From learning more about running and learning more about my body I've been able to drop almost 3 minutes off my freshmen 2 mile time. Now I'm looking at a possible school record and a trip to nationals this June. I'm sure you can improve just as much as I have and could be a great runner with enough hard work and dedication. The sky's the limit! Reach for it!