Am I doing this right? (Read 1220 times)

newerrunner

Hi, I am new and I need some help!!! Over a year ago, I started walking 2-3 miles a day, occassionally running a mile with the ultimate goal of losing 5 pounds to be at my perfect goal weight. Plus being active feels SO good! Then I upped it to running 1.5 miles ~3 days per week. 6 months ago, I planned on doing a 12K, running 3 miles and walking the rest. I ended up running every single step of it and finished in an hour and 19 minutes. That gave me a HUGE thrill. I had NO idea I had that in me, especially considedring more than 1/2 the course was uphill. Even after a year of all this activity, I didn't lose so much as 1 pound. Sept of this year, I was on vacation for a month and ended up walking about 10 hours every day. At the end of Sept, I had finally lost those 5 lbs I'd been aiming to lose for 3 years to no avail. Determined to keep it off....and by this time I'd become addicted to the feeling of working out a lot - those 10 hour walks were awesome - so I stepped up my game and started running a minimum of 3 miles a day 5 days a week. I mix it up a bit. One day I walked 9 miles. Once I ran 6 miles. Sometimes I run 4 or 5 miles. Sometimes I run 3 and walk 2. Sometimes treadmill, sometimes pavement, most often flat trails. My running pace is usually around 9 mins/mile. I only know this cause my neighbor who runs with me has the IPod sport package that tracks it. That did the trick for weight. I've consistantly maintained 127 without limiiting food one bit. Perfect! The last 2 months my right hip has hurt when I transition from sitting to standing or when I move it in certain ways. It doesn't hurt while I run. In this last month, I have had more aches and pains than EVER in my life. It's all transitory pain - comes and goes - calves, thighs, in particular. I feel great because running just gives you this feeling like you are in tip top shape. Energy level feels fine. I LOVE the feeling of having a run under my belt most every day. I feel like a sloth the days I don't run, but I know breaks are important. But I feel SO beat up. My legs never feel great - they always feel some degree of soreness. My whole body feels beat up. I usually go to the chiropractor 3 times a year or so, but I've been about 5 times this last months alone and have another visit tomorrow. I've read these are signs of overtraining that I definately have: washed out feeling, mild leg soreness, general aches and pains, pain in muscles and joints, moodiness and irritability. But is there such a thing as overtaining as mostly 3 miles a day 5 days a week? That seems like such a short amount. I need some guidance. I wish I had a running coach. Everything I can find to read about running pertains to people who training for 1/2 or full marathons. I am not in that league. I am seeking help for people who only run 3 miles per day. I have no idea when to run and when to rest, how far to run, what I should eat before and after, if this hip pain is related to running, if I am feeling so incredibly beat up due to running, if that's normal. If my body is just adjusting to daily running. I haven't gone to the Dr. because she isn't an athlete - how would she know if this hip pain is caused from running or not? I feel like I should go to a sports medicine doctor for this....but then that feels like total overkill cause I am only doing 3 miles a day for Pete's sake. I don't even think I would be considered an athlete at this level - just fit, that's all! What can you guys offer in terms of advice?
      I am no expert but I know women are more likely to have issues with the IT band. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome are you running too hard? I run 20 miles a week and 9 minutes per mile is about as fast as I go for "easy" runs. and 90% of my runs are easy. maybe you would benefit from more stretching after the run. or even getting one of those massage rollers. I think running should be pretty easy for anyone running less than 40 miles a week. (meaning not really a need for hard exertion workouts).

Slo

I'm also new here so I'm not sure what kind of expert advice you will get. I am not a coach or physiologist so take what I say and put it in the "For What it's Worth" category. 1st, there is not enough information to make a true assesment. What does a snap shot of a 3 week training period look like? There is a big difference between walking 9 miles ones day followed by a 6 mile run the next vs putting a couple of days in between those work outs. Doing a long walk or run that is greater than say 15% of your total weekly volume isn't really a good idea either if your fairly new. And really, any one who has been training less than 2 years probably fits this "new" description. How old are you? How long have you been training? Most runners I know that constantly battle injuries is due to the way they train. The biggest being inconsistancy. they'll do a 20 mile week, then a 12 mile week, then a 35 mile week. This type of training is setting you up for problems. I kinda get that from your description. That there may be a consistancy issue. As far as aches and pains.......I don't feel right if something isn't aching somewhere. Backs of calves and thighs are usually muscle related and can be expected a day or two after a "hard" work out. If I don't run hills for a couple of weeks and then bring them back in......I'm going to feel it ! Bad pains to watch for......Right behind the Knee; Front of the Knee; Metatarsils of your feet; Ankle; Front of Claves. Feeling beat up and tired can be a sign of over training but should not last more than a day or two. Try slowing your running pace down some.
        JimR

you walked 10 hours a day? Holy smokes!

Future running partner.

I second that! What kind of shoes are you running in and how old are they?
              Yeah - I don't have much to offer in the way of injuries/overtraining - that's something you should probably take up with a doc if your symptoms are serious enough and it gets worse/doesn't get better... Everyone's fitness level is different and the amount of training one person can do easily can be exorbitant for someone else. Don't discount your 3 mile runs! Most people can't even finish ONE! My only question: Where the hell were you vacationing walking 10 HOURS a DAY! Good luck!

2012: Just run.

FWIW. Here are a few non expert things to think about. Aches and pains are a normal part of training if the training is "hard". "Hard" for a newer runner is different than "hard" from someone who has been running for years. If you are running fast for all of those miles then it can be difficult on your body. You might try slowing down. Mixing things up is good thing. You might try 3 miles one day, 5miles another and 2 miles or a day off after the longer run. Change up the terrain. Include some hills. A dramatic change in mileage from day to day if you are only used to running 3 miles will make you sore. After a longer effort make sure you fuel up. Drink some chocolate milk or have some gatorade. Make sure you are fully hydrated. Drink enough water. Don't eat crap during the day. Running allows you to maintain your weight but if you're eating candy bars instead of food, you're gonna feel like crap. "Other" workouts *do* affect your running. If you are taking 10 mile walks or lifting weights on your days off then yeah it will affect you. The hip pain thing is something to worry about. Don't let it escalate so that it curtails your running. You've been doing awesome btw! Take some time off, see if it heals -- if not, go and see a sports medicine doctor.
                Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I don't have anything to add about your question, but good job on getting fit. I have long suspected that just walking can get a person really fit, but only if they do it for a large portion of their day. That's what our spear-throwing ancestors did, after all. :-)
                  Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                    Myself I have found I can work hard for 3 maybe 4 weeks in a row. Then I need a really really easy week. It is okay to let up for a bit now and again. You will be much better for it. Consider taking a couple weeks off and doing something else very active. How about Swimming?
                      I just can't comprehend that either. lol

- Anya