Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

i'll join as a hopeful. chicago marathon in oct. ran phoenix in jan in 3:08. training hard but hurt my right hip so hopefully back at it soon. ran a 29:46 8k. in march.
    You're on the list. That 8k is impressive. Good luck with the hip.
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
    mikeymike

My first time going sub-3, Bay State 2002, I was very confident in my training, but not so much in my body. I had acute Achilles tendinites and wasn't sure I'd even start the race, let alone finish it. I was probably in 2:52-2:53 shape. The weather was good, the course was pretty flat. I did almost no running the week of the race, went out in 6:30-6:40 pace and was going along fine through half. Felt some pain starting to come after 10 miles, just before half, coming down off of a bridge I felt a "pop" in my achilles and a shooting pain. I slowed and just tried to take inventory...everything seemed structurally okay but there was more pain now. I just backed off and kept going. I told myself that I'd try to take it easy all the way to 20 miles and if I was still runnig at that point, I try to grind it out even if it meant I'd be in a cast for 2 months. I wound up finishing in 2:57:46 in a lot of pain. It's weird how race adrenaline works because a few feet past the finish line I could not bear any weight on my left foot. But hey I broke 3. I've crunched some numbers on my 6 best marathon performances and the clear predictor is mileage. Among those top 6 performances there is a perfect relationship between total miles run in the 3 full months before the marathon and my finish times. No other factor seems to matter.

Runners run

DoppleBock

MikeyMike - Mileage may be it for you, but you may have kept the other factors somewhat similar. I would rate Mileage 60-70% Speed workouts - General 10K speed 20-30% Other 10% I can break 3:00 on mileage alone I need some speed to break 2:50 I will need both plus weight down to 180-185 to break 2:40 (And some luck)

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

My goal is to break 3 at this year's Chicago Marathon. I've come really close twice in my life: 3:01 at the age of 21 in Fort Wayne, a 3:03 at the 95 Chicago Marathon. Now that I'm 44, I'm giving it another shot. I ran a hilly 1/2 M in 1:29:48 in March. I know I need to improve that by about 4 minutes to have roughly an equivalent sub 3 marathon. But, I hadn't really trained that much to run the 1:29 half. It should help that I finally have some training partners again that really push me. In 95 I was running solo almost all the time.
            General 10k speed has been best predictor for me. The years I’ve run my best 10k times have been the years I’ve raced fastest at all distances including the marathon. However, there has been a direct correlation between 10k time and average mpw for the full year. The higher the mileage the faster the 10k times. Then doesn’t that mean that mileage has actually been the best predictor? Kind of, except that a study of 16-week periods leading up to 5 fastest marathons showed that my all-time PR followed the lowest 16 week “buildup” of any of them. Overall mileage for the year was highest, though, and race times were better at all distances. I was racing every weekend and just kept mileage about the same for marathon—actually it was 3 mpw less than when I ran a string of PR’s at 10k-HM earlier that year.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              My goal is to break 3 at this year's Chicago Marathon. I've come really close twice in my life: 3:01 at the age of 21 in Fort Wayne, a 3:03 at the 95 Chicago Marathon. Now that I'm 44, I'm giving it another shot. I ran a hilly 1/2 M in 1:29:48 in March. I know I need to improve that by about 4 minutes to have roughly an equivalent sub 3 marathon. But, I hadn't really trained that much to run the 1:29 half. It should help that I finally have some training partners again that really push me. In 95 I was running solo almost all the time.
              Welcome BoilerTom. You're on the list. Good luck!

Are we there yet?

Welcome BoilerTom. You're on the list. Good luck!
                Hey Jim... Can I get on the list ChakaKahn Buffalo 5/24... I changed my name from Mike Kahn cause I noticed no one uses their real name. Thanks! Cool
                buck919

I've crunched some numbers on my 6 best marathon performances and the clear predictor is mileage. Among those top 6 performances there is a perfect relationship between total miles run in the 3 full months before the marathon and my finish times. No other factor seems to matter.
                  As a relatively new runner (only running for 2 years...only 1 marathon under my belt) I'm hoping that mileage is the best predictor for me too!!! Just out of curiousity Mikey, when you first went sub-3:00 (or when you first thought you could) what kind of mileage were you putting in? What kind of 10K times were you at?
                    I have a question for the experienced...I will be making my second attempt at sub 3 at the Marine Corps Marathon in Oct. My first mararthon was a mess at 3:12:00 but I was injuried. This time around I have been really trying to lay down a good base and do some speed work besides just tempo runs. I am already up to 60-75 miles a week for the last month. Is there such a thing as to much of a base. Would have this mileage so far out make me peak to soon. I just ran a 10K last week to test the legs and finished in 37:24. Not to bad of a way to mark my first year of running.
                    2010 Goals 3000 Miles 1/2 Marathon-Sub 1:20:00 Marathon-Sub 3:00

Why is it sideways?

Is there such a thing as to much of a base. Would have this mileage so far out make me peak too soon..
                      No. That's the short answer. The longer answer is the same, too. But, you do want to be mixing it up some, touching a variety of paces, doing strides and hill charges, working on form drills, racing every now and then, etc. during the base season. The problem is not so much peaking as getting stale.
                        Hey Jim... Can I get on the list ChakaKahn Buffalo 5/24... I changed my name from Mike Kahn cause I noticed no one uses their real name. Thanks! Cool
                        Gotcha covered, Mike...I mean Chaka... ...and just to be contrary I changed my handle to real name. I've wanted to ditch that 24315 for a long time and finally did it.. Any one who wants my name can get it anyway and I couldn't think of anything clever. Hey, was that a quick decision to run Buffalo or had you been thinking about it? With less than a month to go it gives you less time to worry, heh? You'd probably run a faster time if you waited a little longer but I still think you have a good shot at sub 3. You are coming off a nice month that included a solid half marathon. With another couple decent weeks you should be good to go.
                          No. That's the short answer. The longer answer is the same, too. But, you do want to be mixing it up some, touching a variety of paces, doing strides and hill charges, working on form drills, racing every now and then, etc. during the base season. The problem is not so much peaking as getting stale.
                          That's exactly what I have been doing, intervals, hills, tempo, long runs, easy runs, and then racing maybe once every two months right now.
                          2010 Goals 3000 Miles 1/2 Marathon-Sub 1:20:00 Marathon-Sub 3:00
                          DoppleBock

As a relatively new runner (only running for 2 years...only 1 marathon under my belt) I'm hoping that mileage is the best predictor for me too!!! Just out of curiousity Mikey, when you first went sub-3:00 (or when you first thought you could) what kind of mileage were you putting in? What kind of 10K times were you at?
                            I'm not the Mikey that you asked, but ... 15 months after starting running - I ran a 2:56 at Twin Cities - I probably averaged 60-70 MPW - 1/2 marathon time 1:25:58 10k Time 38:17 I ran 3 speed workouts per week

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

mikeymike

Just out of curiousity Mikey, when you first went sub-3:00 (or when you first thought you could) what kind of mileage were you putting in? What kind of 10K times were you at?
                              The first time I thought I could run sub 3 was 2002 Boston, I ran 3:01:13. I was running 50-70 mpw leading up to it, ran a HM of 1:21:52 in March. I was doing 1-2 workouts a week, pretty standard stuff--30 minute tempos, some intervals etc. The first time I actually did run sub 3 was 6 months later at Bay State, when I ran 2:57+. Coming so close at Boston helped me focus and be more consistent--ran 60-70 mpw all summer leading up to it, had a longest run of 23 miles, I raced pretty often and even brought my 5k PR down to 17:17 that July. That was the one time I pretty closely followed a cookie cutter plan--the 70 mpw marathon plan straight out of Pfitzinger and Douglas' Road Racing for Serious Runners. I think I'm blessed with more speed that Dopple Bock but I don't have good natural endurance--that is always my weakness. The last few years I've focussed almost exclusively on the marathon and run pretty decent mileage for a hobby jogger and yet my marathon times, while coming a lot more in line with my other races, are still weak compared to most of my shorter PR's. I probably would have made a fairly useful 1500m runner at one point in my life. I'm experimenting with going back to the 5k for the first half of this summer, partly because I want to and partly to see if I can't move the whole line down from this current base of fitness that I've got...the results of this experiment won't be out until probably October though. If I can't get my marathon time in line with my 5k-HM times, then maybe the answer is to move my 5k-HM times down. In the back of my mind, 2:45 is the goal for fall of this year.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

That's exactly what I have been doing, intervals, hills, tempo, long runs, easy runs, and then racing maybe once every two months right now.
                                That's great. I really think a 6 month build to the marathon can be ideal, especially if you are coming off of a down time or injury. You've got time to really push the volume in the base period so that when you get into the more specific marathon training, you are totally adapted to the volume and ready to emphasize the long runs and intensity without risking injury.