Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Bhearn - 2:59:38 with the headwind and all!! Big grin
    How can I join Marathon Maniacs? Big grin
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
    kcam

Congratulations to the new sub-3'rs! bhearn - that was masterful, you game-planned that race perfectly.
      DoppleBock

bhearn - 04/20/09 Boston, Boston, MA #3523 2:59:38 (1:30:05 / 1:29:33) dacook - 04/20/09 Boston, Boston, MA #2405 2:57:33 (1:26:51 / 1:30:42) DanMoriarity - 04/20/09 Boston, Boston, MA dcv2002 - 04/20/09 Boston, Boston MA #3049 2:58:42 (1:28:31 / 1:30:11) dnephin - 04/20/09 Boston, Boston, MA ksrunr - 04/20/09 Boston, Bosta, MA #4061 3:18:46 (1:31:34 / 1:47:12) Wet Bus Ticket - 04/20/09 Boston, Boston, MA #4439 3:09:48 (1:29:20 / 1:40:28) DRoadRacer- 04/20/09 Boston, Boston, MA #3474 3:02:06 (1:30:01 / 1:32:05) Mikeymike- 04/20/09 Boston, Boston, MA #1562 2:54:53 (1:25:01 / 1:29:52) Congrats all RA runners - Wow what an exciting women's race down to the wire.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

mikeymike

bhearn, amazing run to neg split that bitch today. Huge congrats. You must have had a 2:56 in you Wink Great run! The wind kept picking up strength as the race went on...after heartbreak was tough. Conditions were pretty comfortable (actually on the cold side toward the end) but not fast.

Runners run

Nicely done to everyone! Headwind and all, very exciting! It was fun to watch the times go by, I tried the online video cast and I think there were too many people trying to access it so I caught little glimpses of it as the race went on.
              Awesome efforts from all, this really made my afternoon at work! Special congrats to bhearn for the most impressive bit of surgical racing I've seen for a long time! I thought you might just miss out after the in-race tracker predicted 3:00:40 at 35k, fantastic! I was following 5 runners, mikey, wet bus ticket (gotta support the fellow brit), bhearn, dcv2002 and ksrunr. And a massive congrats to dcv for hanging tough and nailing the sub 3 too, everything pointed to a sub 3 before the race but you nailed it perfectly! I hope everyone is celebrating or commiserating with a few well earned beers....

Are we there yet?

Great job in Boston...Thanks!! that was fun to watch while at work today!! Mikeymike.. you were a consistent machine clippin off 20 minute 5K's everytime I checked in... Bhearn.. what?!? I had you counted out of the hunt til that burst thru the Newtons... Shocked
                bhearn

Thanks everyone! I can't tell you how incredibly satisfying this is. To negative split Boston for my first sub-3 -- I don't know what can compare to that. Reports of my demise were greatly exaggerated. I stuck very close to my plan -- posted a page or two back -- and never fell behind, notwithstanding Boston's predictor. More later; iPhone is slow. But Congrats also to today's other graduates!

Right on Hereford...

bhearn - 2:59:38 dcv2002 - 2:58:48 dacook - 2:57:33 A big congratulations to all you guys. I am very impressed!
                    That is just awesome. So cool to see you guys do it. Way to go!

The Thunder

Nice work in Boston! See you all there next year!

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Are we there yet?

Nice work in Boston! See you all there next year!
                        Thunder... nice work in Knoxville to get there!! I enjoyed reading your race.
                        lap

Congratulations to all on the strong races! I've been lurking on this thread, and it was great to see plans come together. The women's finish was particularly exciting to watch, but tracking all the RAers added to the fun.
                            Just got in from a long rainy trip from Boston. Thanks for tracking and the congrats. It will be a day I will always remember. To have my first sub-3 in Boston, when I wasn't 100% sure was great. I knew after HB hill that it was good to go, but I didn't want to push it too hard for fear of loosing it. I waited until Boylston to pick it up. According to my Garmin I ran the last 0.45 in 6:05-6:06/mile pace... I should probablyl thank gmaclin and his spreadsheet. It worked like a charm. I can't believe how it worked. I probably should have put in 2:57:45 instead of 2:58:30. Think about it. I was only 12 seconds of my pace band time... Also, I still had energy at the end, I probably left a 2:57 out there, maybe a high 2:56... Since I had the 3:01 in the bank there was no reason to shot for anything less than a sub-3. I'm also lucky I had no blister problems and felt fine right after the race except it was damn cold and windy and took way to long to get to the warm clothes.. bhearn - great race with the negative split. I can now see how it can be done in Boston. Though I think a +0:45-1:15 positive split is best (I did +1:40 and probably left 10 seconds/mile from 21-26 due to not pushing it). Everyone else great job... I did not push it up the hills (you can see it in my log). Just went gmaclin's pace or slightly faster, but I was still passing people. However, once I got over HB I was passing bolt loads of people. I wish there was a way to check you standing at each 5k... That would be cool to do... Thanks again. The next goal is to get a NYQ (2:55/1:23). In what race I don't know, though I do know I'll be at Boston in 2010...
                            Wet Bus Ticket

Congratulations to those who managed sub-3 in Boston! A bit of a different race report - from someone who didn't make it under 3 hours. I started out with Maclin spreadsheet-designed pacing for 2:55 which was predicted on my HM time. For the first few miles I was hitting those times okay, but my HR was a bit too high in doing so, (around 164 c.f. my goal of 159-160), which was a bit of a worry. I spent a mile or two chatting to a couple of people to try to relax into it a bit, but just dropped back off the pacing by about 90 seconds. I left them and managed to stay 90 seconds off 2:55 pace for a couple of miles, but couldn't get my HR down. Decided at that stage that it was not going to be a 2:55 day, and focused on my 3:00 targets (which I also had as a back-up). The (obviously too fast) start, hills and perhaps the head wind took a bit much out of me and I slowly dropped back to 3:00 splits, and then even past those. For a while I was hoping I could make up some time after Heartbreak, but that is already factored into the Maclin spreadsheet. I couldn't hold the pace I needed going up or down the hills and once 3:00 was gone I probably lost a bit of the desire to "take the pain" in order to try to push the pace. Felt like I was plodding along and surprised to still get under 3:10... although had to push it for the last few hundred yards to make sure that happened! I have tried to think about why it didn't go well, and to report those thoughts in case they help someone else avoid the same mistakes. The crowds were incredible and everyone in Boston was so supportive, but I must say I don't think I really got into the hype emotionally/mentally. On the morning of the race, right up to the start I was (I think) far too relaxed. I didn't have any nervous energy or adrenaline, certainly not like I have had in my only two other marathons, so wasn't quite pumped up for it. Not sure why that was. I also had a little bit of a cold - not enough to say I was actually sick, but was (and am still) a bit run down - which might explain the elevated HR. Looking back I think my last few weeks' training were also a combination of forced breaks (due to work and injury) and trying to make up for the breaks with work-outs that were too hard. Two in particular - a MP 17 miles two weeks out which I think lead to six days off with an Achilles strain, and a 5M workout including an 8*400m interval session 5 days out (which I stupidly did on a downhill incline and too fast) which left me with really sore quads that barely came right by Monday) - were too much for me. I had not trained enough on downhills, or probably on hills generally, but definitely downhills. Perhaps I am also an example of Jim's mantra that higher mileage is the way to go. But I did manage to get to the Celtics game on Monday night and see Ray Ray break the Bulls hearts with 2 seconds left. My first live NBA game after being a fan for over 20 years. So the trip to the US was not a complete disappointment! I am switching to triathlons for a couple of months with a half-ironman in Switzerland in June but (and I can't believe I am saying this given my thoughts through the pain of the last hour on Monday) I am thinking about giving sub-3 another shot in either Berlin or the French Riviera Marathon in November.
                                Tough one WBT, but I'm glad to hear you are already planning the next one - I'm doing Berlin so let me know if you decide to go for that one. The two workouts sound a bit aggressive close to the marathon, but I'd probably tend towards the missed sections of training for your answers and Jim (as always!) is right on the mileage front. Of the four sub three runners on Sunday, three look to average somewhere between 60-80pw in the bulid-up and bhearn is a marathon maniac!