Motivation..............any advice (Read 1493 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I have had a calamitous year, up and down with injury - still struggling with weight etc. I am being proactive and taking a step tonight, as I rejoin Weight Watchers to help me get back to my slimmer state. Any of you got any motivational ideas to see me through the temptations of slacking with the training and diet - (I am going to try to get more miles in but it means up in the freezing cold at 5am). How do you guys do it?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I push hard, get off my ass and get out the door. Sorry I don't have anything deep or poetic, but that's pretty much it.

Prince of Fatness

For me it's all about habits, both with the diet and running. It works both ways. I know myself well enough to know that if I start skipping runs it will become a habit, or if I start snacking when I shouldn't it will become a habit. Nice thing with me that it works in the positive direction as well. Bottom line with me is I just make it something I do, not something I have to do.

Not at it at all. 

mikeymike

I push hard, get off my ass and get out the door. Sorry I don't have anything deep or poetic, but that's pretty much it.
          Yup.

Runners run

Slow-smooth-fast

For me it's all about habits, both with the diet and running. It works both ways. I know myself well enough to know that if I start skipping runs it will become a habit, or if I start snacking when I shouldn't it will become a habit. Nice thing with me that it works in the positive direction as well. Bottom line with me is I just make it something I do, not something I have to do.
            Hey thanks for that. That is really insightful and I think you have hit the nail on the head, so from tommorrow, I will be starting the positive habits again, and I know I will develop the thirst again in a few days.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

(I am going to try to get more miles in but it means up in the freezing cold at 5am). How do you guys do it?
              I don't go out that early, but ran through a MI winter last year. I'm a *complete* wimp in the cold, but what got me out and kept me going out was first, dressing properly (I actually wasn't doing this) and then realizing that though it's freezing maybe the first 10 minutes, it's great after you pass the warm-up point. The hardest part for me is getting out the door. Once that's over, it's a breeze! If that still isn't doing it for me, then I just remind myself of why I run. It's a quick mental check down my list, but after a few seconds, I'm good to go.
              Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Similarly, once you "get off your ass and get out the door," you'd be really glad you did. Try to use that great feeling you'll get once you are done as a motivation to get out there in the first place.

TRUST THE PROCESS

I struggle with motivation this time of year too. I'm also working with a minor injury and that makes it easier to justify skipping a scheduled run. Last year I got lazy, sat on the couch from November through February, and was mad that I'd gained 15#. (Duh.) I won't let that happen this year. So just like the others said, it's all about getting out the door and sticking to a schedule. Good luck!
                  -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
                  Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I struggle with motivation this time of year too. I'm also working with a minor injury and that makes it easier to justify skipping a scheduled run.
                    Monica, I'm in the same boat. However, I find that guilt works great for me - I don't like the guilty feelings of missing a run. However, I'm trying to work on more consistency because some days I let the little injury get the best of me and the result is too short of a run.

TRUST THE PROCESS

My legs are killing me

Set a goal. Sign up for a 5k or work toward a distance you've never done. I find it hard to have motivation if there is no end goal. I was really afraid of lack of motavation after I ran my first marathon a couple of weeks ago but I signed up for a Thanksgiving day race and I'm going to work on trying to PR that race. It gives meaning to my runs now and I have something to focus on.
                        Monica, I'm in the same boat. However, I find that guilt works great for me - I don't like the guilty feelings of missing a run. However, I'm trying to work on more consistency because some days I let the little injury get the best of me and the result is too short of a run.
                        I agree. Guilt is an excellent motivator. I didn't run last week (well, except for one miserable cold, icy, windy run that hardly counts) and I felt horrible all week. Consistency is key too. I'm also working on that.
                        -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
                          Any of you got any motivational ideas to see me through the temptations of slacking with the training and diet - (I am going to try to get more miles in but it means up in the freezing cold at 5am). How do you guys do it?
                          Some great advice here I won't repeat. But I go out at 5:30 or 6am and run in the cold. I like it because it's hard. It's an attitude I have. It was the same when I quit smoking. I didn't use a patch or any other crutch, I went cold turkey and faced the difficulty head on. I got angry at that habit to the point I just wanted to beat the crap out of it. Go watch Rocky I again. My FAVORITE motivational scene is where he goes out for a run at 4am in the cold and dark streets of Philly. He's grabbing his side, shuffling along. What nut job goes out at O-dark-thirty to run? Answer: Me! I feed off of other people thinking I'm a little nuts for being so health-conscious. One other motivational thing is an oldie but goodie: Nothing tastes as good as thin feels. Good luck!

Queen of 3rd Place

I had a similar problem until I started feeling like I had HTFU points for going out during the sometimes-miserable summers we have in my area. If felt good to be proud! Arla

Ex runner

I have had a calamitous year, up and down with injury - still struggling with weight etc. I am being proactive and taking a step tonight, as I rejoin Weight Watchers to help me get back to my slimmer state. Any of you got any motivational ideas to see me through the temptations of slacking with the training and diet - (I am going to try to get more miles in but it means up in the freezing cold at 5am). How do you guys do it?
                              grow up and act like an adult. works for me.
                              And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
                                It's hard work at times. This isn't like pulling a bunny out of a hat......

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs