Posting Running workouts to Facebook Wall (Read 2601 times)

Maggie & Molly

Major apologies if I missed it over the previous 43 posts, but ... I'd like to use the FB feed thingie, but I don't want my notes/remarks visible on my FB wall.  But I DO want those notes to be accessible by my coach and any log-stalkers I may attract from time to time, all of whom can see it when here on RA.  Is there some middle ground between "everything is public" and "make this note private"?

yep.  When you set it up there is an option to show or not show your notes on FB.  Just unclick the 'show" and you are all set.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
    Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Is there an option to make the link on my facebook wall to be directed to the actual log on my RA account? Not everyone wants to trust giving permission to all the apps they come across.

Thank you

FDFerris

P.S. Good site, by the way. I liked the option of being able to upload all my previous workouts. Wasn't perfect but good enough.

eric :)

There is currently no such option.  I will add it though because it make sense.

That would be awesome. Thank you.

protoplasm72

My race this morning did not get posted to my FB wall.  Looks like it is still configured to do that and it used to work.  I tried logging it a second time and it still did not appear.  It shows up on the fb app, just not on my wall.  Is there some recent change or something I need to update?  Thanks.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

My race this morning did not get posted to my FB wall.  Looks like it is still configured to do that and it used to work.  I tried logging it a second time and it still did not appear.  It shows up on the fb app, just not on my wall.  Is there some recent change or something I need to update?  Thanks.

I just posted my morning run and it showed up on my wall.

e454545rt

I've tried everything and can't post to my wall. I guess my "friends" probably don't care anyways, haha.

HermosaBoy

Not working for me since Friday...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

As far as I can tell, everything is working properly on RA's end. Your workouts are sent to FB and it is up to FB to add it to your wall. You can try unlinking your accounts to see if that fixes the problem. If not, then the problem is entirely on FB's end.
                    HermosaBoy

As far as I can tell, everything is working properly on RA's end. Your workouts are sent to FB and it is up to FB to add it to your wall. You can try unlinking your accounts to see if that fixes the problem. If not, then the problem is entirely on FB's end.

The funny thing is that it appears to be working for some people and not for others???

Rob

The funny thing is that it appears to be working for some people and not for others???

FB has thousands of servers.  Different users are served by different servers.  It's possible that you're on a malfunctioning server.

HermosaBoy

Eric, it might be something to do with Firefox.  On a whim, I deleted my most recent run and then did a re-upload in IE 8 (version 8.0.6001.19019) and it flowed through to my facebook wall.  Before, when uploading in Firefox 3.6.16 it would show up on the runningahead app wall, but not flow through to my personal facebook wall.  Not sure what the dealio is, but found this interesting.

Hopefully this helps others...

Rob

I think that is purely coincidental.  When you save a new workout, the RA first saves the data to the database, then repackage it and send it to Facebook.  If it's browser specific, then your data would not be displayed correctly even on RA.  Facebook has no knowledge of which browser you were using when you saved the workout because it is the RA server that's talking to FB.  FB fails more often than it should.  Most of the errors I see are:

- FB not responding

- FB disconnects in the middle of the data transmission

- after the data is transmitted, FB reports there was an unknown error

I put in code several months ago to retry the transmission if there was an error.  The retry gives up after several times.

My last two runs weren't posted to my wall.  First time this has happened to me.

My last two runs weren't posted to my wall.  First time this has happened to me.

You can try going to the FB app's Preferences tab and click the Unlink link at the bottom to unlink the RA and FB accounts.  After that, enter your RA credentials again and reset your publishing preferences.  Usually this would fix the problem.  I suspect the problem is caused by FB revoking RA's ability to publish to your wall without notifying RA.