Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2011) (Read 6744 times)

2. Reno Stirrat (56), who logs his workouts on RA, ran New Bedford in 1:17:18.

I saw Reno in the finish chute, and chatted with him for about two seconds.  He was having a problem with his hamstring tightening up on him, and wasn't really happy with his race.  That's how to stay thirsty my friends.

Congrats on a damned nice run Matt, great to see you after the race.  With the lack of Shamrocks down there you would think New Bedford was a dry town.  I can assure you it's not.

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

SMART Approach

Awesome job to pr100, LTrain, and James_H. Love it!!!  CNYRunner, you also did great! Be proud!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Slimbo

success

1:29:00 net time

NYC Half

It was 38 at the start / 45 at the finish ... decent wind but is was mostly at the back.  [For CNY -- I make a point of running zig-zags [aka - Crazy Ivans] so the vertically challenged cannot draft off my 6"5" frame Clown ]   The first 7-8m are up and down hills in Central Park ... then flat for the balance of the race. I set my watch up to 1/2 mile splits so that I could monitor my pace more accurately -- normally my pace is all over the place. The only thing showing on my watch was my "interval pace" -- that's b/c nothing else really mattered.   I was trying to keep it around 645 ... but allot of the early race was more like 630 pace [some long down hills that I just took the brakes off and just ran what felt like comfortable pace] -- maybe just a little too aggressive -- on the right day and 10 lbs lighter -- I could maintain a 630 pace through the half -- but not today. I felt pretty "stressed" from about mile 10 to the finish. Looking at me HR data above 180 ... I can see that it wasn't in my head -- of course may pace slowed some as well.  Managed to pick it up the last mile. 

Anyway -- a 4+ minute improvement over my prior Half Marathon efforts. I also qualified for the NYC Marathon with a sub 130 finish.  Nice confidence boost for Boston in a month.  Quads are still trashed.

PS -- I got an email from NYRRC yesterday that said Congrats -- and listed my finish time as a 1:28:59 -- even though the results show a 1:29:00 -- one second sounds so much better -- will have to get to the bottom of that.

2012= under-goaled

[For CNY -- I make a point of running zig-zags [aka - Crazy Ivans] so the vertically challenged cannot draft off my 6"5" frame Clown ]   

I see that Slimbo! Joking Be nice to old ladies!  So the 15" (yikes!) height difference equals at least 2.5 minutes and getting me under 1:30? ha! I was thinking I'd try and draft this tall dude who was zigging and zagging all over the place, but I got tired just watching. Now I know it was you. Congratulations on kicking your former PR to the curb and nailing it. My quads aren't shredded, so clearly I didn't push it enough. My NYRR Congrats e-mail also included a time that was a wee bit faster than the official results. Fine by me. Anyway, Congratulations and on to Hopkinton we go. Props to James_H as well and all the New Bedford minutemen. 

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Hey should 1/2 require recovery? I ran a light 3 yesterday and did a hills workout today. My legs are D-E-D Dead! I felt reasonably ok after the race but I think it took a lot out of me ;(

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
            Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

SMART Approach

For most of us it is probably 10-14 days for "full" recovery depending on age and mileage base.  No harder work outs for 7-10 days. Keep it easy this week.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

jpdeaux

Must have been something in the air Tim. Did we run the same race?

Slimbo

success

1:29:00 net time

NYC Half

It was 38 at the start / 45 at the finish ... decent wind but is was mostly at the back.  [For CNY -- I make a point of running zig-zags [aka - Crazy Ivans] so the vertically challenged cannot draft off my 6"5" frame Clown ]   The first 7-8m are up and down hills in Central Park ... then flat for the balance of the race. I set my watch up to 1/2 mile splits so that I could monitor my pace more accurately -- normally my pace is all over the place. The only thing showing on my watch was my "interval pace" -- that's b/c nothing else really mattered.   I was trying to keep it around 645 ... but allot of the early race was more like 630 pace [some long down hills that I just took the brakes off and just ran what felt like comfortable pace] -- maybe just a little too aggressive -- on the right day and 10 lbs lighter -- I could maintain a 630 pace through the half -- but not today. I felt pretty "stressed" from about mile 10 to the finish. Looking at me HR data above 180 ... I can see that it wasn't in my head -- of course may pace slowed some as well.  Managed to pick it up the last mile. 

Anyway -- a 4+ minute improvement over my prior Half Marathon efforts. I also qualified for the NYC Marathon with a sub 130 finish.  Nice confidence boost for Boston in a month.  Quads are still trashed.

PS -- I got an email from NYRRC yesterday that said Congrats -- and listed my finish time as a 1:28:59 -- even though the results show a 1:29:00 -- one second sounds so much better -- will have to get to the bottom of that.

Cool 44 degrees and some wind: Check

Set watch to 1/2 mile splits: Check

Try to keep around 6:45: Check

Stressed from mile 10 to finish: Check

4+ minute PR over earlier halfs: Check

Qualified for NYC marathon with sub 1:30: Check

Success: Check

Set my watch to read the single most important value to me: Average Pace

Seems we ran almost the same race. Just that I was doing the drafting throughout. And you officially went sub-89. Nice!

Awesome awesome awesome.  You guys are awesome.  I am officially jealous in a good, steely determined, inspired kind of way.  Congratulations!!!!!

Smile

L Train

Nice racing slimbo and PaulyGram!

Must have been something in the air Tim. Did we run the same race?

Seems we ran almost the same race. Just that I was doing the drafting throughout. And you officially went sub-89. Nice!

congrats to you too - nice work -- feels good.

2012= under-goaled

National Half-marathon. 1h22:00 woot !

New PR because it was my first Big grin

Nice going, Coockie_jr!

Are you a boy or a girl?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Not a bad start for a half.

Great job!!!

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                            Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Nice going, Coockie_jr!

Are you a boy or a girl?

Men Smile

Thanks all !

National Half-marathon. 1h22:00 woot !

New PR because it was my first Big grin

all right!  WTG!  Nice PR!

2012= under-goaled