Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2011) (Read 6744 times)

MoBramExam

Nader,

Wanted to make sure I was double-committed before jumping in, but now ready to sign up.  Target race will be The Mid-South Championship HM on November 5th in Memphis suburb of Wynne, AR.  Still a ways out, but (1) wanting to make sure I have plenty of time and not rush the training, plus (2) wanting to wait until after my 50th birthday since they have a Grand Masters Division.

For next 10-12 weeks, lots of base miles.  Will probably hop in a couple of shorter races this summer just for kicks.

My half still 19 weeks out, so still just building mileage (starting to get around 35/wk now), working in at least one specific tempo run a week, and trying to extend "longer" runs. Bunch of work travel recently actually helping shake things up a little. Couple of 5ks and one 8 mile race between now and then to keep things interesting.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      DLJ

First month progressing well bar one bad week - not old but not as young as I thought I was and felt a slight niggle going from zero running to 60km/week. Took 3 or 4 days off and have just completed the first real good week of of training at 65km. Feeling sore but not injured. So onward and upward for more base miles trying to push towards to 100km/week. First longish run - 17km at about 5:30/km (I make that about 8:30/mile) felt worse than I recall. Am going to run a training HM in 2 weeks to just get the feel and hopefully cheer my wife to a PR and around 1:32:XX. Nothing fast here just long and slow.

Dwane

I more week to go before my next attempt. 

The 4 weeks training since my last half have been:

Wk1: 91k - 7 runs - mostly recovery / easy.  Short XC race on Saturday.  23k long run.

Wk2: 105k - 9 runs.  Included an 8k tempo (34.45), a couple of serious hill runs and a just under 25k long run.

Wk3: 102k - 9 runs.  Included an 8k tempo (35.10) and a very hilly 5k XC race.  Long run only 18k as recovering from the race.

Wk4: (this week - so Sat pm / Sun is still "planned") 80-85k - 7 runs.  Included an 8k tempo (34.11), but also a rest day and lots of easy running. Expect the long run will only be 22k ish. Maybe up to 25k if I'm feeling good.

Next week - taper, relax, try not to panic.

I look my best blurry!

I just took a deep breath for you! The last week is the toughest! Hang in there!

Relax, focus and bring it home, Mandy. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Thanks both of you!  Finished the week off with 83.5k and a 22k long run.  Now to sit down and actually plan a taper (rather than just stop running completely as I normally do!)

Any thoughts on tapering, anyone?

SMART Approach

Mandy, How does the body feel? If feeling good, I wouldn't be too concerned with a full week taper. I would watch the intensity this week, maybe Monday or Tues, do 3-4 miles at goal pace with 4 X 200m fast. Take it easy the last couple days as far a volume/intensity.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I'm not sore in any way but have been a bit tired. I found yesterday's "long" run a bit of a struggle. I put the same question to my bf and he suggested easy running for an hour today and tomorrow, then a bit of a blow out on Wednesday (fast 4km) then easy Thursday, Friday off and short/easy Saturday. He also reminded me that I'm fitter than I've ever been, and it's only a half so not to overdo the tapering. Probably good advice for me - I do tend to go a bit stircrazy during taper.

Sounds like good advice from the BF. Good luck Mandy! Crossing my fingers for you.

I look my best blurry!

I'm not sore in any way but have been a bit tired. I found yesterday's "long" run a bit of a struggle. I put the same question to my bf and he suggested easy running for an hour today and tomorrow, then a bit of a blow out on Wednesday (fast 4km) then easy Thursday, Friday off and short/easy Saturday. He also reminded me that I'm fitter than I've ever been, and it's only a half so not to overdo the tapering. Probably good advice for me - I do tend to go a bit stircrazy during taper.

Speed on Wed is probably fine but how do you define blow out? Don't blow up, seriously. You could overdo that workout if you push too hard.
                          Speed on Wed is probably fine but how do you define blow out? Don't blow up, seriously. You could overdo that workout if you push too hard.

(its a bit late - I've done it now)

I ran it at 4.10s - faster than HM pace but not as fast as 10k pace.  Feeling good and ready now.  Rest day today.  Easy 20mins or so tomorrow.

Thanks Candice Smile

SMART Approach

I did not respond because I thought you would know better than to fly/race on Wed. Those reps should be fine for you with your miles and strength and be a good sharpener. Good luck - you will do it! Race smart!!!!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Thanks for all your support. 1.29.47 chip time, 1.29.53 gun time. 12th lady. Race report to follow later. Little bit overwhelmed right now.

Spectacular Mandy! Congratulations and well done!

Inspired...