Am I on the right track? A few newbie pointers needed please! (Read 1348 times)

Howdy Folks I’m pretty new to running and boy am I glad that I found these forums! I’ve got a few newbie questions and for those who understandably don’t want my life story feel free to skip to the bottom of this post! Big grin For those who do……here’s a bit of background: I am 32, 6’ 1” and 217lbs. I have played Rugby since I was 9 years old but when my kids (2yrs & 3yrs) were born I just couldn’t justify the time away from home that Rugby was taking, so I started running about a year ago. Things were going OK. I trained for the “Hottest Half” in Dallas in August and ran (most of) it, in the summer heat in 2:12:57. Pretty happy! I came off the back end of that wanting to beat 2 hours and entered the White Rock half for December. Around September time I noticed that my right hip was stiff about 6 hours after running. No big deal, I thought, and I kept training. HTFU, I believe, is the term used round here! Training went well, my hip kept hurting after running, but not while running and when I completed 12 miles in 1:44:20 two weeks before the race I thought I was on to a sure thing. Race day sucked. Windy and much hillier than I had trained for and I ran (still walked a bit) a 2:07:07 – I was gutted. Sad Also time to face facts about my hip. Pretty much the only time it did not hurt was when I was running. Two short runs in the week following that half and I had to go to the doc. He diagnosed an SI (??) injury and sent me for physiotherapy…. No running for 12 weeks. The Physio folks set me straight on a few things… I was a bad trainee: When I had been training I was a; fall out of bed, into my shoes and hit the pavement at training pace, round the block, back home and hit the shower type of person: No stretch, no warm up, no cool down, no stretch! Black eye I also did nothing else other than run. No core exercises, no lifting, no cross training, nothing other than run. I’ve started running again and now include a .75 mile warm up, a cool down walk and stretches before and after all of my runs. I still do not do any exercises or cross training. I travel a load for work so don’t train with anyone. Cry I run when I can – three times a week, sometimes twice, maybe four times. I am not looking to become an elite just want to avoid getting fat and make the best use of the running time I have available. I was in the process of looking for an on line coach when I read this article .... and here I am. I’m hoping to get a few things: Obviously a big hug from the running community coz I ain’t getting any runnin’-luvin from elsewhere Wink I appreciate any pointers from folks with more experience. I posted my training log as far back as I have Garmin data (yes, I’m afraid I’m a little bit “all the gear and no idea”) Embarrassed Cross training – If I’m only running 4 times a week max am I better dropping one of those and riding a bike or lifting weights? Core exercises – I believe this may reduce the risk of an injury reoccurrence in my case. I have no idea what I should be doing! A bunch of sit ups before bed? Heart Rate – I read somewhere that I should be training at 85%-90% of Max HR? If I calculate it on any of the formulae it’s around 188. 90% of that is 170. My HR is at that level in about 0.5 mile of starting and goes up to well over 188 when training (recorded it at 202 when I tried to push it). Something isn’t adding up and I’m sure it’s because I don’t understand what I’m doing! Can anyone set me straight. Thanks in advance folks – happy to have found this place! Cheers MattJ

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

MrH

Others will chime in with much, much more, but a few comments: (1) Any method of estimating max heart rate is based on an average. Clearly if your recorded heart rate is over 200 then 220-Age isn't giving you an accurate estimate. One thing for sure, is you are pushing your runs hard and doing so every run. (2) what is your goal? If your goal is to run 5ks to half marathons or even for general aerobic fitness, then pushing yourself hard for 2 or three miles every run won't help and you'll likely end up injured. Think about going out slower and running 30, then 40, 50, 60 etc minutes. Don't worry about pace or mileage. That will come in time. There are plenty of beginner and intermediate 5k, 10k and marathon training programs to illustrate what a weekly schedule and appropriate paces for each training session might look like. (3) the type of strength and injury prevention workouts you do will depend on your goals. That said, if you plan to run distance races the following simple link isn't a bad start, but being a former rugby-playing dude you could probably go a little heavier Smile http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Strength.html (4) Stretch after your run: http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm If you feel the need to stretch before you run do some dynamic stretching. If you start your runs at an easy pace there is less need for that.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

gregw

If you've poked around here, I bet you can predict the advice you'll get. Stretching, core exercises, cross training, hugs -- these are all good. What you need to though is SLOW DOWN! No, SLOWER THAN THAT! From your 82 miles in November in 12:24:39, it looks like you are training at 9:04 pace. Using the mcmillan running calculator, it looks like easy runs should be 60-90 secs slower than half marathon pace. Could you run a half at 7:30 - 8 minute pace (1:38-1:45)? If not, then you should seriously consider slowing down. Recovery jogs (which should come after hard runs) are another 60 seconds slower than easy runs. The heart rate monitor is an excellent idea. 85-90% Max is ridiculously high though! Easy runs should be more like 70% maxhr. Now, as you've discovered, the MaxHR formulas can be way off. For example, my max is 200 and I'm 37. The only way to know your max is to actually test it. Also know that hear rate monitors can give spurious results, especially at the beginning of a run before you break a sweat. I'd recommend using a HRM to make sure your easy days are easy. Staying under 180-age (148 in your case) is a pretty good rule of thumb. It will be very, very slow, but you'll be surprised by how good you feel. If you need to cheat to stay sane then cheat, but try to keep it slow.
          Good on you for keeping at it. I agree with advice from others - slow down. To paraphrase advice from Trent - run often, mostly slow, sometimes fast. I also agree with stretches AFTER running - no need for stretches before if you are going slow . With your main goal being to avoid getting fat and make the best use of the running time I have available I don't see any great need for cross training or core exercises. Core exercises may be a good idea if you have a particular injury or weakness and your doctor or physio recommends a particular exercise.

Running - cheaper than therapy

rlemert

Given that you've already had hip problems the presumably came about because of your running, I think you would probably benefit quite a bit from cross-training/core workouts. I just missed running my spring goal race due to ITB/piriformis problems. My doctor pointed out that as a runner my outer quads get plenty of work, but the inner quads not so much. As a result there's an imbalance that, while it doesn't cause injury, it's also not as effective as it should be in preventing injury. I'd start by talking to your Physio about what types of exercises he'd recommend to help prevent problems in the future. I'd then take that information and find a personal trainer who is either a runner himself or very familiar with runners, and develop a workout schedule that meshes with your running schedule, fits into your life, and serves your needs as a runner.
              Thanks for all the advice folks. I had anticipated the “Slow Down” but am shocked at how much! I love the McMillan calc though and it seems to be telling me: Tempo Runs 8:47 to 9:10 Easy Runs 10:10 to 10:40 Long Runs 10:10 to 11:10 Recovery Jogs 11:10 to 11:40 So I go out tomorrow and do my four miles at 10:10 pace or slower (and keep my HR under 148 or at least keep an eye on it). I’m also off to the physio this week to close stuff out so will ensure I leave there with suitable exercise instructions. This slow down pace thing has left me with another question. If I get back to my old training pattern of 3 shorter and one long run a week: I run the long run at “long run” pace obviously…. But do I do 2 “easy runs” and 1 “tempo run”? Sorry for the ignorant questions and thanks again. Smile

2017 Goals

I would keep all of your runs easy until your injury is behind you. I would skip the pre-run stretching. Actually, I'd skip all the stretching unless the doc wanted you to do some post-run. Given your goals, I agree with what iansyd said about whether core exercises and cross-training are necessary. If you like running, then run. Oh yeah, and hello from another fellow DFW-area runner.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

+1 on stretch AFTER running. But just jog a good mile or two as a warmup and that will do the same as a pre-run stretch without much chance of straining any cold muscles.

Tagging onto the "slowing down" idea. Last year after the Country Music Full, I had finished in 3:57: xx and was absolutely stoked. I made the post here about getting faster, etc, and was slightly offended whenever I read to "slow down..." It never registered that I should "slow down" and somehow get faster. (Oh the amazing paradoxes of life.) Simply put: Slowing down is your best friend. I was training almost EVERYTHING at a 8:30 pace last year, and then marathon pace was 9:05. This year, my pace has consistently stayed around 8:50-9:00 m/m. Yes, it's been annoying at times, but I have seen huge gains in my running ability. Case and point, from last year on March 1 when I ran a 15k at 7:18 pace to this year when I ran a half at 7:13 pace, and in fact, went through the 15k two and a half minutes faster...with room to give more! If you slow down, it eases the stress off your body and allows your aerobic system to become stronger. Next week, I plan on bringing the pain on CMM 09 simply because I have slowed down, which has allowed me to put in more miles, which is going to allow me to PR by a big margin (at least I hope...come on good weather!) Anyways, take the advice listed by these other guys and implement it into your training. Running slow sucks at first, but as you increase mileage, and then adjust from there, it gets so awesome on runs to see the type of improvements you will make. I'm in taper mode, and some of my easy runs coast at 8:20 pace and I feel phenomenal, but had I done so before I built a base, I would hurt for 11 days. So, slow down and log the miles. Keep up the training!
                    mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

One thing with Mcmillan, especially for race predictions, and especially for longer races, if / when you contemplate them - the predicted finish times are a somewhat aggressive. For the training paces, it's pretty much right on, if you use a recently completed race or hard effort for your input. And on the slow & long runs, if you fall out the back end of the range a little, don't worry about it. Better to keep the effort easy than worry about hitting a precalculated pace.
                        Thanks for the encouragement everyone - really appreciated. makers, your post really hit the mark. Smile Ran "easy" for the first time this morning and it was weird, no doubt.. That said, I did 4 miles and felt good as opposed to a 5k and feeling dead afterwards. I'll build a base and increase my mileage before pushing anything. (Though I do have a 10k on the calendar in about 6 weeks) I'm still a lacking a little faith about doing most of my training at 10:10 and then racing at 9:10 but the other posts on this board alone make me convinced I need to give it a try - It's the way forward! Thanks again folks.

2017 Goals

GKA

GKA

Matt, I am not an expert; I thought that you might appreciate the perspective of one who also recently received the same advice for the RA coaches. About 3 weeks ago I started a new regimen; run more frequently (now 5 times a week), run more (6 miles is generally my preferred distance now when I barely squeaked it out once a week before), and slow down. I can honestly say that I am enjoying my runs much more. Smile Earlier this week I ran 13.9 miles because I was really enjoying it. My average pace was 10:20, although I am sure that at times I was closer to 11. Today, I just wanted to try and follow my body's cues and see if I could run faster than my current easy pace. I finished 3.4miles at a below 9 minute pace. I know there were times when I lost focus and slowed down, however, I really pushed the last 1.5miles. So I guess this wasn't really a tempo pace as I know I did not maintain the same pace throughout. So, IMHO, try the "run more, mostly slow, and sometimes hard" advice, I think that you will be surprised by the experience and the eventual results. PS, During your training runs do you have a crazy Indian riding a vespa waving a cricket bat and screaming to you to go faster? (ref. you avatar)
                          "Remember; no matter where you go, there you are."- B. Banzai
                            PS, During your training runs do you have a crazy Indian riding a vespa waving a cricket bat and screaming to you to go faster? (ref. you avatar)
                            LOL - not now I have moved to the US... but I am from the UK and that is how we all train over there! : Clowning around Simon Pegg just cracks me up and I often felt like "Dennis Doyle from downstairs" when I was training at my old "too fast" pace.

2017 Goals

(Though I do have a 10k on the calendar in about 6 weeks) I'm still a lacking a little faith about doing most of my training at 10:10 and then racing at 9:10 but the other posts on this board alone make me convinced I need to give it a try - It's the way forward! Thanks again folks.

OK - I had to come back to this thread because of the comment I made above, six weeks ago. I was really skeptical about being able to race faster than I trained if I slowed down having always trained way too fast up to the point I got injured. The aforementioned 10k was this morning and for those who helped out with pointers for my training and for anyone else who may stumble across this thread and share my initial skepticism about slowing down during training. Here's my mini race report:

American Heroes 10k

Ranger's Ballpark, Arlington, TX

Saturday May 23 2009. 08:25am

Overcast, 72F

Terrified before the start that this thing is going to take me longer than an hour. My PR with the "pre-Running Ahead" training plans was 53:46. That was when I used to train and race at 08:45/mile.

Mile 1: We're with the 5k folks at the start and I am off way too fast my heart's racing and I had to try really hard to slow down. Pass the marker at 8:51 and continue to slow down. Still scared that I am going to flunk the second half of the race.

Mile 2: It's uphill and easy to get to the pace I thought I wanted 9:05. Actually I feel OK., one could even say... good! This was the point where I thought - "Maybe these RA folks have got a point !" 

Miles 3,4 & 5: The doubt is gone and I feel really comfortable going slightly faster each mile 8:53, 8:48 & 8:47. Thinking at this stage - "Don't let me crap out on the last mile"!

Mile 6 +: I have the energy to push this home. This never happens to me. I am usually just hanging on. I clock an 8:31 for mile 6 and then am able to cover the last quarter mile in 1:46.

I loved this race. I finished with a 54:42 (from my Garmin, results not posted yet). First race back from injury and less than a min outside my PR. Fantastic feeling.

To those who have convinced me, beyond the shadow of a doubt, to slow down - Thank You!

To anyone reading this thread who may be thinking otherwise - this works - SLOW DOWN!

2017 Goals