Match Game sadness (Read 907 times)

xor

Richard Dawson died from cancer at 79.

He was known for three things.  First was Hogan's Heroes.  Last was Family Feud.  In between, he was the anchor of the celebrity panel on a game show called Match Game... really he was that show's version of the Hollywood Squares "center square".  He was always there, and he had a freakish manner (perhaps aided by good editing, as all games shows in the 60s-80s were super duper edited, but back then we didn't really realize it) of being in tune with contestants.

If you are too young to know, Match Game was a crazy popular game show that was kind of...uh... risque for television at that time.  I won't go into the show here; like most game shows, it was shown daily... but it was recorded on the weekend.  They'd blow through 5-10 23 minute (subtracting commercials) episodes on a Saturday or a Sunday.  If you watched the shows every day during the week, like I did on summer vacation, the celebrities would seem to get more and more inebriated as the week progressed.  Well, yes, knowing how they recorded them, this makes sense.

If you ever wondered, no, that isn't what Wrigley Girl looks like.  That?  Is Bret Somers from Match Game. She was there all the time too.  Hammered.

I decided to change to Charles Nelson-Reilly for the week.  He too was a fixture.

As always, cancer sucks.

bhearn

You forgot The Running Man.

xor

You forgot The Running Man.

Conveniently.

Who loves you and who do you love?  Richard Dawson.

I always think of The Running Man, and specifically that line, when I think of Richard Dawson.  Plus, Arnold Schwarzenegger, , Jesse Ventura, Mick Fleetwood, Dweezil Zappa, and Richard Dawson?!  Love The Running Man.  It is one of the best worst movies ever.

SMART Approach

Richard Dawson kissed 20,000 women. One of those he married and she was still with him when he died.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

bhearn

Love The Running Man.  It is one of the best worst movies ever.

+1

Kalsarikännit

If you ever wondered, no, that isn't what Wrigley Girl looks like.  That?  Is Bret Somers from Match Game. She was there all the time too.  Hammered.

Liar.  It's me.  Also, I could currently be hammered.  I'm not saying.

Sounds like it is time for another Match Game question.

The Jolly Green Giant stepped on a rake and got hit right in his ______.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Prince of Fatness

The Jolly Green Giant stepped on a rake and got hit right in his ______.

Brussel sprouts?

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

Brussel sprouts?

I expected you to say potatoes.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Prince of Fatness

I expected you to say potatoes.

He's the Jolly Green Giant, not Mr Potato Head.

Carrot?

Not at it at all. 

xor

Right in his ho-hos.

L Train

Ball bearings?  It's all ball bearings nowadays.

he took Running Man from terrible to watchable. 

that probably won't be on his headstone.  it's just one of his many accomplishments. 

xor

(TANGENT, pretend this is a commercial)

Ok, Green Giant.  Fine brand, fine imagery.

Another brand of veggies from our yoot was Bird's Eye.  We never ate fresh when I was a kid.  We were a can family.  So lots of Green Giant, Del Monte, etc.  Although usually, generic cans from the commissary. 

Now, Bird's Eye was the frozen stuff.  Tasted much better.  But we were a can family.  I only experienced the yum of Bird's Eye at friends' houses.

Fresh stuff?  Nah, it was the 60s and 70s.  We weren't hippies. 

ANYWAY.

Green Giant. Fine brand, fine imagery.

Bird's Eye.  Have you ever thought about this name?  Who the heck intentionally names their brand "Bird's Eye Food"?  That's just nasty.

I assume the old dude was trying to attract the witch demographic or something.

And now back to Match Game.

I think the dude who came up with that name was Mr. Birdseye.  For real.

Runners run