What speed is the right speed? (Read 1436 times)

Hawt and sexy

Again, screw the charts. Just run and run slowly. And yes, when you are done, you should feel as though you could go right back out and do the same workout again. The only exception will be when you run far and only you will know how far 'far' is. It may start out being 10 miles or it may start out at 5 miles. Again, only you will know this. Just run. That is what runners do, they run. Slowly even. The thing is slow is relative. Also, 'junk' miles are miles that are run at the wrong pace relative to the type of workout you are doing. Easy miles are supposed to be easy. If you run them too fast, then they are 'junk' miles. Recovery miles are also inte4ned to be easy. Some suggest making recovery miles even easier that easy miles. Whatever works for you. But remember, easy means easy. If you do not understand what that means, that is when I recommend getting a HRM and learning how to use it. A HRM is a great way to teach this type of thing. But if you are not willing to try a HRM, fine. Easy is still easy. And beginners start out easy for a long time. Like maybe a year. Maybe longer. It all depends on how you feel and what you are willing to put into training.

I'm touching your pants.

A Saucy Wench

Really??? Confused But shouldn't I feel like I'm exercising? Shouldn't I feel my heart beating and the sweat and actually feel like I had a good work out and didn't just stroll around the block? I'm thinking I need to change my perspective a little bit.
      Every once in a great while you can feel like that. But most of the time, you should be able to skip laugh and sing at the end of your run ...while you are still running. Big grin (And I have been known to do all 3, but not yet at the same time) Regardless of if you want to go techie (the chart or HRM...both are techie running) or keep it low key and learn to run by feel... Easy does it. If you want to just run, run...but try running easy most days. Its like building a house....the slow miles are your foundation. The fast miles are the 4th story. You try to put too many on top and the whole dang thing collapses and you wonder why you arent getting anywhere. If you want "exercise" blast your little heart rate away. If you want to get BETTER run slow, run strong. Save most of it for the races.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

finney

Resident pinniped

Some people aren't ready for a long run right away. When I first started running I'd run 3 days a week: 3 miles, 3 miles, 5 miles. I wasn't ready for that and got hurt. When I recovered I did 3, 3, 4 one week and then 3, 3, 4.5 the next week and felt fine. A weekly "long" run was too much for me at first. [And of course wouldn't you know it when I started making progress I had that rib thing happen No] Anyway, if you push yourself to be "fast" on every run you. will. get. hurt. Maybe not tomorrow, or week or even next month but you will get injured. And, you won't gain much anyway since you won't be doing anything aerobic. I'm just going to take a guess and say the reason why your pace is all over the place is one day you run 10mm, which is too fast for you. Then, you're still worn out the next time you go out and your body doesn't want to run anymore because it's not recovered from the last run. Really, slow down. If you have to run 12 mm to be comfortable, no one will laugh at you. Promise.
          Thank you everyone!! You have really helped me out a lot. You all helped bring me back down to earth.
          Really, slow down. If you have to run 12 mm to be comfortable, no one will laugh at you. Promise.
          Finney, are you in my head?? I do have a HUGE problem with stressing over what people think of me. Thanks for telling me that. If you promise...I believe you Big grin

TRIing to beat the heat!

I just wanted to chime in here... This thread has been incredibly helpful! I'm a newbie triathlete and I practically loathe the running part of my training... and I think it's b/c I'm doing just about every run too fast. There was a moment in time a few months back when I slowed everything down and voila... dropped 4 minutes off of my 5K race time. After that, I got all excited about being newly "speedy" and definitely started overtraining. As of this post, I'm bringing my feet back down to the ground. I had a very speedy run this morning during a fartlek session (actually made a non-race 5K PR) and it felt great... but I was very winded. I have 6 easy miles planned for Saturday and I plan to do them easy... nice 11 mm pace. Smile

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

I just wanted to chime in here... This thread has been incredibly helpful!
              Yeah, it helped me a TON! What's weird about it is I have not really slowed down at all, but I feel like I have. I took the pressure off myself to keep a certain pace and just ran. So now I just run at a comfortable pace for me and don't really pay attention to my garmin anymore. When I log, I'm always surprised that my pace was faster than I thought it would be. I'm still self-conscious about my pace Blush I tried running with some friends a few weeks ago and they were just way too fast for me. They keep wanting me to run again with them, but I have to say no. I said "I'm not running with you, but you can run with me". I ran alone today Roll eyes Thanks again for everyone that chimed in on this discussion. It changed my whole attitude. Clowning around
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'm self-conscious about my pace, too, but I'm getting over it. I NEED to go slow to run a long ways, so that's what I do. I ran 10 miles this morning, a PR, and that's what matters! I've knocked over 10 minutes off of my 5k time in a year (OK, so I was a real snail when I started!) by running consistently and SLOWLY. So keep up the good work, and try not to worry about how fast the other people are going.
                allout88

I personally don't map out my course every day and make sure i know the exact mileage. When i do a course that i know the exact mileage of like you all seem to, i can not go slow and never run easy. I would always find myself dropping 6 minute miles. So what i do is rather than going out the door and saying i am going to do 5 miles...i'll just go on a random route and do a nice easy 30-35 minutes and say its 5 miles. If i am feeling really good then i may actually do 5.2 or 5.5 or something like that in 35 minutes, or on a slow slow day like 4.8 in 30, but who cares i just call it 5 and i can live with being a few tenths off here and there. Honestly on my easy days i range from like 6:40-7:-50 miles on average, which means if i feel peppy then i might drop a 6:20 still running easy or if i feel sluggish i might drop an 8:00 to start off. So i pretty much don't worry about pace at all for 4 days out of the week which include 3 easy days and a long run. Workouts are where you can be picky and worry about being a few seconds slower.
                    Shocked Shocked That would never work for me. I would never be able to log 5 miles when I didn't actually KNOW if I ran 5 miles. I'm too anal that way. Makes me sweaty and nervous just thinking about it.
                      Shocked Shocked That would never work for me. I would never be able to log 5 miles when I didn't actually KNOW if I ran 5 miles. I'm too anal that way. Makes me sweaty and nervous just thinking about it.
                      That's why I posted the McMillan charts. You struck me as my type of personality that way. Just as justification for slowing down.

Junior Amphibian

I am up and down. Some days I do my 5 miles at about 10 min/mile pace and some days I'm at 11:30min/mile. But I always wonder, Am I running too slow? What would put me in the catergory of a "good" runner? Should my speed be improving with every run? Hmmmmm....... Any ideas? Roll eyes
                        Speed depends on many factors such as your weight, your age, your ability to process oxygen (VO2), your muscle mass, your genetics, etc, etc... It is a very variable factor and it generally improves with training. Besides, you should not worry about the speed, but rather you should look at your heart rate. Your heart rate is a much better gauge of showing your true effort while running and the HR ranges are pretty similar for both experienced runners and beginners. For example, a beginner could be running a 11 min/mile pace at 150 bpm heart rate, while an experienced runner will be running at the 8 min/mile pace at the same heart rate. But out of curiosity, I did a little investigation on the http://trail.motionbased.com website, and it appears that the average pace for runners is about 9:30 min/mile. Keep in mind though that this figure includes both race paces and easy workouts, and the people are both amateurs and pros.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

Without going too far off the original topic.... Anzura's long description of her "problem" caught my eyes and I see Willamona giving her usual "good" advice here... ;o) I see many "beginners" (if I may call some of the posters...sorry!) get in a trap of running at the same target pace all the time, everyday, which actually happens to be pretty much close to the target race pace as well (I know you're not quite that...), thinking, "If I want to run my half marathon at 10-minute pace, I'd need to be training at least 10:30 pace...!" It really isn't. First of all, think about the following examples; Okutani or Japan who was on the Osaka world championship's team (though he had an appendictomy and couldn't compete) with a PR of 2:08 (that's sub-5 minute pace, folks!) does most of his training at 8-minute pace. Coach Koide who has a house in Boulder and spend 1/3 the time there said two of the runners he coaches (or coached), Naoko Takahashi (2000 Olympic marathon champion) does a lot longer training, up to 70km a day, but much slower pace; where as Masako Chiba trains much shorter distances, more like 30km, but at faster pace. Interestingly, Takahashi's PR is 2:19 while Chiba's is 2:21. I'm not necessarily saying the slower you run, the better. But the point is; everybody is different. It would do you much better if you vary the training effort; much like you should vary training distance. Some days you run long, say, 8 miles. Other days you run shorter like 2 or 3 miles. Same deal. Some days you may want to run @ 10-minute pace; other days maybe 12-minute pace... How you want do to it--you do the long or longish runs of, say, 5 miles at closer to your target pace to make it more like tempo type runs; or make those shorter runs right at target pace to get used to the pace--is totally up to you. But the point is; you want to include some faster stuff (target pace or close to target pace) and some longer stuff (close to target distance if you're targeting longer events); then you combine both ON THE RACE DAY (it's like working on scene by scene for rehearsal and put them all together on the opening night). I'm teaching (as one of the coaches) for MDRA (Minnesota Distance Running Association) Beginning Women's Running Class (an 8-week course) right now. One lady, who started running in the beginning of April (when this class started) asked me this week that, while she is running on treadmill, her speed doesn't seem to be improving--should she set the speed progressively faster to push herself to run progressively faster? I told her to cover the meter on the machine and don't worry about it. First of all, she's started to feel good and is increasing the duration of her runs (from run/walk 20 minutes and now 40 minutes). NEVER try to increase BOTH quality AND quantity at the same time. But, she said, then how would she know... I suggest, for someone like this, to do a test run but only once a month (at MOST, once every other week). Find a good flat out-and-back course. Do the test run of one of the followings: 1) Go out and back in the same time, whatever the duration depending on your level, say, 15 minutes out and 15 minutes back. Make sure you can do this IN THE SAME TIME comfortably, in other words, you don't have to struggle to come back in the same 15 minutes time (you've started out too fast). Make a mental note of how far you went out (some land mark like this tree or this corner or the house #1963...). Every time you do this test, within the same 15 minutes time, you should be reaching out slightly further (without trying). 2) Do the same test run as above but run to the landmark; progressively you should be reaching there in less time (14:50, then 14:45...). These two of course indicate the same thing--you're now running faster WITHOUT TRYING TO RUN FASTER. 3) Try to keep the run exactly the same (requires some discipline); to the same landmark within the same 15 minutes period. Wear Heart Rate Moniter if you like, or just stop and check your pulse for 15 seconds (and multiply by 4) at the turn-around point. As your fitness level improves, you should be doing the same exact workout (15 minutes out and back in the same distance) but your pulse is progressively getting less; meaning you're handling the same workload easier. These are just some simple tests you can do to make sure you're progressing. But you don't need to check it every day. It takes your body a few weeks to 6-months or so to adopt to a new stress. You can't expect some visible improvement in a day or days or weeks. That's why it's wise to do this kind of test, if you want to do it this way, once or twice a month (once would be more reasonable). If you notice the improvement slacking a bit; THAT is when you want to consider some other stimulous like speed training. Until then, I wouldn't say "throw speed training out the window" but at least set it aside by the window. ;o)
                            I am up and down. Some days I do my 5 miles at about 10 min/mile pace and some days I'm at 11:30min/mile. But I always wonder, Am I running too slow? What would put me in the catergory of a "good" runner? Should my speed be improving with every run? Hmmmmm....... Any ideas? Roll eyes
                            The right "speed" for you is the pace that you can comfortably run at for hours. Unless you are an elite, speed doesn't matter in the big picture. Everybody is up and down. Especially if you run outdoors. Don't worry about it!
                            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                              Marcus, I would LOVE to be able to "just run". I guess one could call me "obsessive". When I start something new and love it, I want to perfect it....now! I'm an instant gratification person...I don't like waiting!!! ::stomps feet and puts on best pout face:: I set goals for myself and when I don't achieve them, I will tweak out on how to get there. I do have to stop and tell myself to just "chill" every so often. I have a hard time remembering that I've only been running for 7 months and not a lifetime. Running feels so right to me and I'm really surprised it took me 40 years to find that out. I hear the term "junk miles" and it scares me. If I " just slow down" like you suggest Willamona, I'm scared those miles will be considered "junk"!! Black eye I really do feel like I've hit a plateau. If I keep my easy runs in the 11-12 min pace, I don't feel like I'm really working out at all. Marcus, you suggest that I go out without a watch so I don't tweak on the pace. I will try that, but I'm pretty sure I'll still be in the same range I have been. I feel like I've hit a wall and I'm pushing up against it to break through. I do agree with you Ennay that I need to build my base up nice and strong. I need a heavy dose of patience!! I will concentrate on increasing my weekly miles, and "try" to make them easy runs. I'll also work on getting that long run longer. Wish my feet and knees would continue to love me after 8 miles, but they insist on protesting. I thank you guys for reading and responding to another post from a noob that I'm sure comes around every week or so. I know the same questions over and over get tiresome. Thanks for taking the time Big grin Debi
                              I firmly believe there are no such things as junk miles for us. Any run is a good run because we got past the hardest part which is getting out the freking &#%# door. When I first started my attitude was just like yours. Then I got over it. You have to realize that running takes time and time means YEARS. Not one of us on here woke up one day and was running 10 minute miles. Just about anybody can attest to that. Running is a practice in futility. You will take two steps foward and one step back. That's just how it is. You really need to let go of your preconcived perceptions on how running should be. Once you do that, it makes running more enjoyable. There is no try in running. It's DO OR DO NOT. If you don't make your runs easy, you run a super high risk of burnout and injury. There is absolutely no shame in slowing down. I just started heart rate training. Before that I was running consistently 10:30-11:30 minute miles depending on terrain. Now you can see my long and where I"m at. Yes it was hard at first and I felt terrible but you know what? I started to notice little things around me like the birds singing and it made it not so bad. Now 99% of my runs are easy runs, my HR has dropped by 20 beats per minute at the same pace and I feel like a stronger runner. Plus I've been able to add on miles and keep consistent. Was it hard? YES! Angry Was it worth it. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES Big grin
                              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

SMART Approach

I think a big problem is terminology. I totally agree beginners need to run comfortable. I like to use this term rather than "slow" when setting up programs. Beginners don't want to be labeled "slow". When I want runners to run slow or do recovery runs, I label it "very comfortable pace". When I work with beginners I generally give the advice above of Willamoma, Nobby and others. Just go out and run at comfortable pace. The problem I encounter is the runners want a little bit of variety. They get tired of the same old pace (yawn). If they hire me, I don't want them bored. You have to listen to your clients. So, what I do after a break in period or if they express this boredom to me is to throw in a few subtle changes to their program yet still keeping 95% plus of their miles comfortable. I may tell them one day to finish the last 1/2 mile or mile at a faster pace (not killer pace). Another day I may say, every 3-5 min, run 30 sec. at a faster pace. One day, I may tell them to travel to an area where there might be some hills and tell them to run those hills at same effort or circle back and run them again. This just adds some variety to the work outs and they thank me for it. It doesn't take away from any base building or mileage building, almost all their miles are still comfortable but these techniques just add some variety and will actually enhance their development. For those of you beginners reading this, think about it!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com