The Muscle Factor Model (Read 3142 times)

Now I really want to watch that again.

Me too.

PPS: How do I enter that so it shows up on my PR list?

Like this.....

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Awesome!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Robert: I can run 11 paces.
        Dragline: Nobody can run 11 paces.
        Society Red: You just said he could run anything.
        Dragline: Did you ever run 11 paces?
        Robert: Nobody ever run 11 paces.
        Prisoner: Hey, Babalugats. We got a bet here.
        Dragline: My boy says he can run 11 paces, he can run 11 paces.
        Loudmouth Steve: Yeah, but in how long?
        Robert: A hour.
        Society Red: Well, I believe I'll take part of that wager.

dennrunner

eggactly
          Tinman

A couple runners I coach said I need to join this forum and explain things. I have stopped by today, but I probably won't have time to do so again, or least not very often. I have a few pans on the fire to attend to.

Pete and I have worked to create information that would help runners qualify training. We weren't saying (in the article or interview)  that nobody has considered the effects of training on muscle fibers.  Authors such as David L. Costill, Phillip Gollnick, and Lars Hermansen were studying fibers of athletes in detail several decades ago.

Over the last couple of decades, however, Pete and I have formed a discipline of information about training, which  targets fiber types, among other things. The article that Pete and I collaborated on (Pete wrote it; I asnwered interview questions; and we chatted about the information multiple times), had a goal of helping average runners  understand basic muscle physiology - as it applies to training. 

To paraphrase Bill Bowerman, the legendary coach of the University of Oregon and Nike shoemaker; any coach worth his weight in salt can answer the question: 'Why are we doing this training.' If a coach doesn't know, get a new coach.'  But, so many average Joe and Jane Runners are self-coached, and that's why they need help from guys like Pete and me. We bridge the gap between science concepts and everyday training. We not trying to claim we are research gurus or mavericks. We are trying to do a little bit of good for some runners who, like us, want to enjoy training at a higher level.

Oh, and to Rich, it would not be accurate to claim I only advocated for the aerobic/anaerobic model, however that is defined; I have believed the humans, like all animals, integreate a multittude of capacities that contribute to running performance. I am eclective; I was trained in the 1980's by Dr.'s Wiliam Floyd and Phil Esten, among others, to think of performance as multi-demensional. However, to improve overall performance, it's sometimes worth it to focus on one relevant attribute at a time. However, over a passage of time - a cycle, if you will - hitting all the relevant attributes of performance is the best strategy to improve results.

Have a great day and remember this: Know why you are running a workout, what you want to achieve, by targeting  muscle fibers (motor units), in addition to other important things like mechanics, nutrition, etc.

Take care,

Tinman

www.therunzone.com

Feeling the growl again

I have believed the humans, like all animals, integreate a multittude of capacities that contribute to running performance. I am eclective; I was trained in the 1980's by Dr.'s Wiliam Floyd and Phil Esten, among others, to think of performance as multi-demensional. However, to improve overall performance, it's sometimes worth it to focus on one relevant attribute at a time. However, over a passage of time - a cycle, if you will - hitting all the relevant attributes of performance is the best strategy to improve results.

Except for the Drs. William Floyd and Phil Esten part, a big +1 on this.  People like Rich_ and Noakes (not Pete) are so busy trying to break it down and find some little part to pretend they created and own, that they become blinded to the big picture.  We're a big organic machine with many parts that contribute to the performance of the whole.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Rich_

Oh, and to Rich, it would not be accurate to claim I only advocated for the aerobic/anaerobic model, however that is defined; I have believed the humans, like all animals, integreate a multittude of capacities that contribute to running performance.

Take care,

Tinman

www.therunzone.com

Tinman,

Thank you for the clarification.  I've read some of your stuff in the past but don't consider myself to be particularly knowledgable about your physiological or training beliefs.

The muscle stuff is, to me, very interesting.  I believe the research supports the idea that muscles, and not the cardiovascular system, play the dominant role in performance so articles like yours/Pete's tend to catch my attention.  I hope you and Pete continue to talk about the role of muscle in performance - your voice is significantly better received than mine.

Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
                Rich_

We're a big organic machine with many parts that contribute to the performance of the whole.

Very true.  But that's not to say that all the parts contribute equally.

I find it humorous that you claim I focus on 1 little part since that is as far from true as one can get.  You know so little and hate so much you haven't a clue to my actual physiological beliefs.  Of course, that doesn't stop you from posting utter nonsense about me.

The Dynamic Model of Fatigue from 2007

Rich World's Fastest Slow Runner
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Tinman,

Thank you for the clarification.  I've read some of your stuff in the past but don't consider myself to be particularly knowledgable about your physiological or training beliefs.

The muscle stuff is, to me, very interesting.  I believe the research supports the idea that muscles, and not the cardiovascular system, play the dominant role in performance so articles like yours/Pete's tend to catch my attention.  I hope you and Pete continue to talk about the role of muscle in performance - your voice is significantly better received than mine.

Nooo.  Really?   Wonder why. 

dennrunner

I'd say the posts that Richard starts provide greater than average entertainment value—even if he does get all hated on.
                        xor

I hope you and Pete continue to talk about the role of muscle in performance - your voice is significantly better received than mine.

Ah yes.  The "woe is me" card.

AMAZING, I say.

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I'd say the posts that Richard starts provide greater than average entertainment value—even if he does get all hated on.

You have to give him credit for attracting the big guns.

Hawt and sexy

Oh jeebus. Two of them in the same thread again....

Don't make me start with the smilies. I am a mean mother when it comes to smiles. And lolcats.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

Very true.  But that's not to say that all the parts contribute equally.

I find it humorous that you claim I focus on 1 little part since that is as far from true as one can get.  You know so little and hate so much you haven't a clue to my actual physiological beliefs.  Of course, that doesn't stop you from posting utter nonsense about me.

The Dynamic Model of Fatigue from 2007

Dude, you've been spouting the same crap, with the same wild misinterpretations of science due to your completely inept understanding of basic biochemical principles, for years.  I've been through it more than I care to remember as each time is part of my life I will not get back.  I could refute the rest of your drivel at will, and have before, I can cut and paste your prior thrashings here if you would like as I saved them all in a Word file so I don't have to repeat myself.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills