If you could put together a gift basket for a new runner??? (Read 1095 times)

Second on the massage! I would also give them a gift certificate to a yoga class!
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

- Cowbell: Don't laugh. I bring mine to races and always get asked where I got it. (http://www.bell-outlet.com/cowbellb.htm)
      I gotta make sure DH has one when I run my first marathon...just for the comedy factor! I gotta have more cowbell! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

CherryDG

I gotta make sure DH has one when I run my first marathon...just for the comedy factor!
        After being a spectator at several of DH's triathlons and losing my voice each time, I decided to buy a cowbell. So much easier than yelling plus more likely to be heard than my squeeky voice. My dad and bro-in-law took turns using it for my first marathon and got such a kick out of it that I ended up buying them their own.
        augustwest100

I'd give them a globe with a red "You are Here" sticker pointing to their home town and tell them "happy trails." Ok, but if you're looking for more practical things... 1. Jeff Galloway's website link or any of his books (this is not a plug-- I have no connection other than having read Book on Running) 2. a collection of water bottles and flasks 3. a running log book 4. a collection of sample gels and energy powders from Hammer Nutrition 5. directions to the nearest knowledgeable running store that can do a gait analysis and recommend shoes 6. a simple waterproof watch with a big screen (hey, it's a starter kit, right?) 7. membership in the nearest running club 8. a large bottle of water (with a post-it note taped on saying "use during today's run" -- no time like the present, right?) Also, you might tell them to keep the gift basket itself, and at least once and a while, place all of the above-mentioned items directly into the gift basket (except for the actual running shoes they purchased), place the basket on the nearest shelf, and hit the road with nothing but sneakers, weather appropriate clothing, and wide open eyes. There's nothing like a good reminder of what you REALLY need to run. Cool
            You know, for some people, part of the appeal of running is that it's supposed to be a SIMPLE sport. Smile If somebody had given me a stick of Bodyglide and energy gels and $15 socks and books about competitive racing and a certificate for a massage ... I'm just sayin', it might have scared me off. I'd second the Runner's World subscription and a pack of socks.
            dfffff

Runner's World is trash.
              Mr R

I honestly can't think of one thing that every runner should have. Maybe a 150 lap Ironman and a copy of Kenny Moore's Best Efforts.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker