Using HRM for training (Read 667 times)

DebW

I'm a running novice and need some advice on using a HRM when running.  How can I incorporate the use of this to improve my running speed and endurance? I am a slow runner but for now I am working on increasing my distance and hope to run a 10K race in 6 weeks. Any suggestions?

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Take a look at the low heart rate forum.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

SMART Approach

I'm a running novice and need some advice on using a HRM when running.  How can I incorporate the use of this to improve my running speed and endurance? I am a slow runner but for now I am working on increasing my distance and hope to run a 10K race in 6 weeks. Any suggestions?

Very General 

Long runs and comfortable runs 70-78% of MHR

Recovery 60-70% MHR

Tempo 85-92% of MHR

Fast longer intervals - 90-95%

Very general guidelines but if you are beginning most of your runs should be between 70-85% of MHR or what feels to be a comfortable effort. More than likely early on your HRs will spike so focus on comfortable and these HRs will lower over time.

Do you know your MHR? Run a 5K race and finish hard and then sprint in. This should get you there or darn close. There are other ways also to determine MHR. Don't use a formula.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Visit the Low HR Training forum here on RA. Lots of good info in the sticky topics and some very knowledgeable regulars that post.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

DebW

Thanks this information is very helpful.