What's up? Endurance suddenly gone! (Read 1011 times)

Ringmaster

Any help will be much appreciated. My daily mileage before this was about 6, with long runs on the weekends. I took off close to one week recently because of nagging knee pain, with fear that I'd make an injury worse. The ortho confirmed that there was no injury and I could keep running my normal mileage though he recommended I cut out one day of training, so I went back to running. Lo and behold, I suddenly can barely run a mile without stopping. With no disrespect meant for those who run-walk, I don't, and I don't really want to. But my legs are dead tired suddenly. Surely this didn't happen because I took five days off? The first run after the break was a run-walk six-miler that ended up having an average 11:40 pace. The next one was a 6.2 on the treadmill, but that doesn't count b/c I stop to check on the kids. The next day I ran 5 on the road and though I walked some, I still managed to keep a 10 minute pace for most miles. The next day was miserable--mostly 11min miles for a 5-miler. I took yesterday off, then today I ran the first mile at a 10min pace (slow for me) then ran-walked two, then pushed myself to run the last mile at a 9:15 pace without stopping. Now this is not an unnatural pace for me normally--I ran my half at 9:20. Today, that last mile, I was literally picking my legs up by sheer strength of will. My legs felt heavier today than they did at the last mile of my half marathon, and this after only four miles! What's up? I haven't changed my diet or hydration. I started taking a B12 vitamin and magnesium supplement on the advice of my neurologist and a liquid glucosamine syrup to help my knees, but I don't think that would sap my strength. I know the temperatures have risen, but not that suddenly, and I generally start my runs before the sun rises anyway. I am so frustrated! Any ideas?

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
    Mile by Mile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...could you be coming down with a bug? How have you been sleeping? What's the humidity like? If everything else seems normal I would chalk it up to just a couple of bad runs.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

low level allergies? I have never had seasonal allergies, but the last few years I seem to have a couple of weeks where I just feel...sluggish. They seem to coincide with when everyone around me is complaining of allergies. low level illness just a bad week. mini taper madness? I swear my runs go to pot after only a few days off, but that usually only lasts 2-3 days

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JakeKnight

I skimmed your question, looked at your log, and was kind of stumped. And then I read more carefully and caught this:
          Lo and behold, I suddenly can barely run a mile without stopping. With no disrespect meant for those who run-walk, I don't, and I don't really want to. But my legs are dead tired suddenly. Surely this didn't happen because I took five days off?
          Yes. Surely it did. Significant time off - and 5 days is - always makes the legs sluggish. As for the rest ... reconsider the walk breaks. I always walk in training. If it doesn't say tempo or race on my log, you can bet I walked at some point. I don't mean specific Galloway-type ratios. Just slowing to a walk or shuffle for a few seconds every couple miles. I'm convinced it keeps me injury free and fresh. My legs are never tired. After a 42 mile run and 2 hard marathons (and a new PR), all in 3 weeks, my legs still feel good. Part of it is that I train in training. Meaning I don't worry about running slow and even walking. There's no need to prove your studliness in every training run. That's what races are for. Which brings up the next obvious thing: you may be racing too many of your training runs. It doesn't really look like it in your log ... but your last mile was faster than your HM PR pace. And looking back, your last long run was also faster than HM PR pace. You might need to slow down, at least in your long runs, maybe even on your easy runs. By a good minute per mile. I know. That sucks. But it might be worth a try. Or maybe its none of the above and you're just having a bad week. Or you're depressed. Or bored. Or burned-out. Or sick. Stuff happens. Try to just have fun for the next couple weeks. Maybe even leave your watch at home and run easy by feel. Good luck.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

The Greatest of All Time

Nevermind.
            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

SMART Approach

Your 5K race pace is 8:45. Most of your training run and especially long runs should be 10:30 - 11:00 pace. Look at your paces on your runs. You may just have tired legs. The 5 day layoff shouldn't have much of an effect. Are you stressed? Lack of sleep? These could also be issues.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

finney

Resident pinniped

If I take too much time off, I get really stiff and experience exactly what you're talking about. Cut back until you get back to where you were. My guess is that you strained stiff muscles (even if you don't actually feel sore), and now you're having a hard time recovering. Also, I second walking or slowing down. If you need to or like to, you need to or like to. I used to be one who had to "run" EVERY run and I ended up with more down time hurt than actually running. Now I walk a bit if I'm feeling too fatigued. I don't need to on every run, but if I need to, I do. You're still getting the benefits of exercising, and if you run for 40 minutes, walking for a total of 5 of those still meant you were moving which is more than a lot of people do on an average day anyway.
                Ringmaster

I knew I'd come to the right place! Thank you so much for the helpful advice! As a novice runner, I always welcome the input of those who've been at this longer than I have. And I really appreciate you taking the time to look at and analyze my log. It's like having a coach, only better! Yeah, Zoomie, I guess a bad week could be it. I just haven't had one before and I was shocked by it. Roll eyes I've had bad runs, but never so many days of steadily worsening runs, you know? But brighter days surely will be here soon, right? You know, Jake, I think your advice might be dead on. I'm still a recovering sprinter (is there a support group somewhere?). When I input my race times, most of the training plans I generate call for me to run my easy and long runs at 10:40 to 11 minute pace, and yet I can rarely do that. Maybe I need to try harder. It's one of the reasons I got my Garmin--to keep me from running too hard--but maybe I'm not using it wisely enough. Hey, Todd, as a physiologist who specifically works with runners, I appreciate your advice on slowing down my pace. Thanks for looking at my log. And Ennay, there may be something to what you're saying too. I know at least one of those days I forgot to take my Advair before I set out. I didn't connect it to my legs feeling tired, just to my definite wheezing toward the end of the run--my asthma is definitely allergy-triggered. Could be burn-out, I guess. I like to think I love running but as you can see I've been steadily increasing my mileage and other than improving my 5k time I really have no big goal on the horizon. Maybe your advice is dead on: chill out, don't take myself so seriously. It is just running. Finney, I think I will take your advice and cut back a little. Better four miles that I feel good about than six miles that I hate, right? Keep the advice coming, if you want. Any input is helpful! K

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                  Mile by Mile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm still a recovering sprinter (is there a support group somewhere?).
                    If someone starts that group I am SO in. <--- retired 100 & 200m girl :) retired="" 100="" &="" 200m="" girl=""></--- retired 100 & 200m girl :)>

~ Sarah Kay

Bugs

I haven't changed my diet or hydration. I started taking a B12 vitamin and magnesium supplement on the advice of my neurologist and a liquid glucosamine syrup to help my knees, but I don't think that would sap my strength.
                      Make sure you are staying hydrated 24-7. I have found that if I'm dehydrated one day, it does affect my running till days later.

Bugs

I think all the advice, as always, is superlative. I would recommend inviting a friend on a couple runs for a while. Leave the clock at home (like JK advised) and laugh and talk. Or run to something (coffee shop, pastries, beer, shoe store) so it feels like a reward. Celebrate and be proud of all the good stuff!
                        And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
                          If someone starts that group I am SO in. <--- retired="" 100="" &="" 200m="" girl=""></--->
                          How come the PB's aren't in your log? Wink

The Greatest of All Time

The 5 day layoff shouldn't have much of an effect.
                            Agreed 100%. You might be sluggish but probably lost no quantifiable amount of fitness. You'll be fine in no time.
                            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                              Vixi, I'm not sure it has to do with taking 5 days off, I think these things are different for different individuals. Personally, if I take 5 days off I feel like Superman on my first run, my legs are just loaded with energy. You may be different.... Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How come the PB's aren't in your log? Wink
                                Ha, don't think I can count PBs from half a lifetime ago... Blush

~ Sarah Kay