How long did it take you? (Read 1411 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've been running for 20 years and still haven't run one (although I once got lost on a training run and ran nearly 22 miles). Years ago, I saw that Carlos Lopes of Portugal won the '84 Olympic marathon and set the marathon world record in '85 at age 37-38. This convinced me that I had many good years of long distance running ahead of me. Now that I'm 37, I'm considering a marathon late this year or next. Or whenever. Your question is a good one. A lot of people rush into doing the marathon, so whatever your choice is be sure you're ready. The ideal time different for every person, but no matter what, be sure that you respect the distance. Train for it, and train well. A marathon is not to be done lightly, especially by a new runner. Build up slowly, and do it when you feel ready. In the meantime, get that first 5k under your belt, run some more 5ks, try some 10ks, 15ks, and half-marathons. You may find you really like a particular distance more than others. When in peak shape, I'm best suited for 800m~1mi races, but you don't see many of those, so I focus mainly on 5k and 10k races. Run easy, build up slowly, and go from there.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

18 months. i wish i'd waited a lot longer got faster at the shorter distances and built some serious base. there might have been a chance of me enjoying it instead of hating pretty much every second of both the long runs and the race. i very nearly quit running entirely after that experience. however, i do understand the pull to run further and further.
        JakeKnight

A lot of people rush into doing (it) .... so whatever your choice is be sure you're ready. The ideal time different for every person, but no matter what, be sure that you respect the ... is not to be done lightly, especially by a ... Build up slowly, and do it when you feel ready.
          I'm pretty sure my parents and my eighth grade human development teacher both delivered that exact same speech.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

how long from the time you started running, till your first marathon?
            Technically, 8 years. Realistically, 12-15 years. I started running as a youngin', but my first team was in 1992. I ran my first marathon during my junior year of college, and ran my second marathon about 3 years after that. Now I run 2 or 3 marathons or longer per year on average. My general recommendation is to not even consider running one until you've been running for a year or two. I acknowledge that it's possible to run a marathon 6 or 9 months after you start running, but I just don't recommend doing that sort of thing.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

C-R

I'm pretty sure my parents and my eighth grade human development teacher both delivered that exact same speech.
              Nice editorial clip - you've got skills.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

protoplasm72

Almost exactly 2 years of serious running. Before that I would run on a treadmill once or twice a week but never really got over 3 miles. If all goes as planned I'll be finishing my 4th marathon right around my 3rd anniversary of starting to run. Cool

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

rlemert

I ran my marathon 13 months after getting back into running, and I started running again just a few weeks before my 53rd birthday. It took me almost six hours and I did walk a lot of the last 10k, but I never felt like I was doing a "death march". I did have some ITB issues in the months after the race, but my Dr. and my PT both felt that putting down floor tile the week after the marathon was as much to blame for this as the race. Like others have said, I would not recommend this approach if you're planning on 'racing' the event, but I don't have any problems if you just want to experience it. Also, if you're young you can probably get away with being somewhat 'foolish' like this. As you get older you have to be a lot wiser about your foolishness.
                    I've been running only for a couple months now. I've always wanted to run a marathon, but never really gave it a lot of thought. A marathon is my long term goal for now. I know I have a looooong way to go, and I'm starting with my first 5k next month. I'm not going to go from a 5k to marathon either. I've already been looking at other longer races for future reference. Now I know it isn't the same for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with that, but my question is: how long from the time you started running, till your first marathon? Just curious.
                    I'm been moving my legs recreation since about 2002, and I don't really think I was running much till 2006. Nov 2006, I ran my first race a 10K, about a year and 3 months later I ran a Marathon... well ran/walked it.

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Now that I'm 37, I'm considering a marathon late this year or next. Or whenever.
                      You know...I hear some really cool people are running Milwaukee as their first this Oct... Shy I'm guessing the beer will flow at the end of that race, too. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

10 weeks (couch to running). I figured if the running plan suggested I run 18 miles or so at week 10, I might as well sign-up for a race and get some water support (I didn't really realize the disparity between 18 and 26 miles) I ran my 2nd marathon this yr and am hoping for more.
                        And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
                        kcam

From the time I started running regularly till my first marathon was about 4 or 5 years. But I didn't start running to do any races - I think in those 5 years I might have done 5 or so races (a couple 5K's, couple 10K's and a 1/2). If I had the attitude of wanting to run races it could have been quicker (but maybe not better for me) to get to marathon shape.

Hawt and sexy

Started running this time 'round-Feb. '06 First marathon- Oct. '06 I had let myself get to the point where my previous running experience meant nothing. I was just a seasonal runner before then any way so no biggie.

I'm touching your pants.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You know...I hear some really cool people are running Milwaukee as their first this Oct... Shy I'm guessing the beer will flow at the end of that race, too. Evil grin
                              Heh. Sounds like lots o' fun. Cool If I run one this year, it will be either Huntsville's Rocket City in December, or The Monkey if I'm feeling really crazy stupid well-trained. But odds are it'll be next year, as my miles are not where I hoped they would be at this point (although last week was my highest mile week of my new running life (starting Jan 2007)).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

If I run one this year, it will be either Huntsville's Rocket City in December, or The Monkey if I'm feeling really crazy stupid well-trained.
                                You need to go this year. Because I will be there. And I will be sad if Trebek is not.

Amy