When to Hydrate on Long Runs? How far is too far w/o water? (Read 1588 times)

Dave

Does this remind anyone else of those guys you see out in warm weather running in plastic workout suits to lose weight? I guess I can understand it for wrestlers or boxers trying to make a particular weight for a bout (and then immediately rehydrating) but who actually believes that you lose real weight that way (now who's trolling) Evil grin?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I have a camelback waist pack. I normally use it on trail runs. I was planning on using it Saturday when I did a 17 mile run. Friday night I noticed that the tubes were moldy.
      Buy Camelbak's flexible brush for cleaning the tubes. I had to clean mine recently after some months of neglect. Yucky. You can also buy food grade tubing from Home Depot/Lowe's to replace. And denture tabs are good for reservoir cleaning. MUCH cheaper than Camelbak's tabs.

Me and my RP

I can usually do 12 or 13 without water so long as I get out early, say 530am. I haven't tried to go longer than the 13 w/o fluids. Most times, it's not intentional. I just get running, planning to do 7 or 8 but wind up going longer. Like others have said, it's just a matter of how fast/temps/how much you sweat...
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Buy Camelbak's flexible brush for cleaning the tubes. I had to clean mine recently after some months of neglect. Yucky. You can also buy food grade tubing from Home Depot/Lowe's to replace. And denture tabs are good for reservoir cleaning. MUCH cheaper than Camelbak's tabs.
          I switched to the Amphipod belt when I got sick of cleaning the Camelbak resevoir and tubes. Throwing bottles in the dishwasher is so much easier.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lia's Daddy

I switched to the Amphipod belt when I got sick of cleaning the Camelbak resevoir and tubes. Throwing bottles in the dishwasher is so much easier.
            That is kinda what I'm thinking. I was keeping the Camelback in the fridge which helped to keep it mold free but the DW said it took up to much room. Does the Amphipod have pouches to carry gu and stuff? Do you like it enough that it is worth lowering your status as a runner? Wink
            "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
            Carps10

Guess I should just quit, then. I get sick when I dehydrate, so it's obvious that running is simply not the sport for me. Roll eyes BTW, come back and talk to us about hydration needs when your longest run is well over 7 miles and/or 90 minutes in 80º or higher temps, ok.
              I just started keeping the log. My longest run is 14 miles and my 5k is 16:20. I'm serious when I say that no fast runner carries a fuel belt around. also: I'm building to higher levels of mileage, 38.5 was just my first week of summer base.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Does the Amphipod have pouches to carry gu and stuff? Do you like it enough that it is worth lowering your status as a runner? Wink
                Yep...Amphipod makes lots of models. I have the full-tilt which holds a 20oz. bottle horizontally across the lumbar. I can also add various bottles on the front to hold gel flasks or bottles up to 10.5oz. When it's hot I will fill the back bottle with Gatorade and two front bottles with water and empty them in 2 hours (and still manage to lose 3-5#s of fluids without peeing mid-run). My belt has a pocket large enough to hold my cell phone and inhaler plus a smaller pocket that 2 gels will fit in. Though my runner status is already pretty low since I wear a hat, socks, bra, Body Glide, and use my inhaler. You know, I hear that real runners don't need these "crutches." Roll eyes

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just started keeping the log. My longest run is 14 miles and my 5k is 16:20. I'm serious when I say that no fast runner carries a fuel belt around.
                  Yeah...and I am anything but fast. Does it hurt you when others bring hydration? Why do you care what people behind you are using on their runs? And I can guarantee you that I would be slower without fluids. If I am losing 5#s on a 2 hour run with fluids I would be on a stretcher in an ambulance without.

~ Sarah Kay

Carps10

Yeah...and I am anything but fast. Does it hurt you when others bring hydration? Why do you care what people behind you are using on their runs? And I can guarantee you that I would be slower without fluids. If I am losing 5#s on a 2 hour run with fluids I would be on a stretcher in an ambulance without.
                    I was just trying to convey that it's a bad idea. You can't hit a fast stride with 4 pounds of liquid sloshing around on your waist(it also looks ridiculous.) Running is beautiful because it's simple...why bog yourself down with extra junk? My longest run this summer is 14(about 2 hours) and I'm doing it on a 7 mile loop, so at the halfway point I'm gonna pick up a water bottle stashed in my mailbox and drink it. But for normal runs I drink before and after. also, I wear 3 articles of clothing when I run: running shorts, socks, shoes. it sounds like you carry a bunch of stuff which may be causing you to overheat
                      Zoomy, Do you like the lumbar type belt? I just looked at it this weekend at REI, and could not decide if I could stand it or not.... BUT after sweating like a pig this morning after a 6:00AM run, I know that by this weekend's long training run It is probably time to think seriously about it..... Do you find it comfortable? ease of movement while running with it? Does it sound sloshy? Leak? Curious.... Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like it...the only criticism I have is that it tends to ride-up in the front and come up over the bottom of my rib-cage--but I am also shaped kinda weird with a ghetto booty, heh. Once the bottle is half empty or if I have the front ones on it's not an issue. You probably would want to use Body Glide on your lower back where the belt is, though. I had issues the first time I ran with my Camelbak...had no idea that that would chafe, but it did--owie. So now I always use it in that area if I am using my belt.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

also, I wear 3 articles of clothing when I run: running shorts, socks, shoes. it sounds like you carry a bunch of stuff which may be causing you to overheat
                          Yeah. My boobs. Sure would be nice if going shirtless and braless were an option. Roll eyes

~ Sarah Kay

Lia's Daddy

I was just trying to convey that it's a bad idea. You can't hit a fast stride with 4 pounds of liquid sloshing around on your waist(it also looks ridiculous.) Running is beautiful because it's simple...why bog yourself down with extra junk? My longest run this summer is 14(about 2 hours) and I'm doing it on a 7 mile loop, so at the halfway point I'm gonna pick up a water bottle stashed in my mailbox and drink it. But for normal runs I drink before and after. also, I wear 3 articles of clothing when I run: running shorts, socks, shoes. it sounds like you carry a bunch of stuff which may be causing you to overheat
                            When conveying your personal opinion on the internet it is often a good idead to use qualifiers. For example, you might want to say "I was just trying to convey that it's a bad idea for me" or "why bog yourself myself down with extra junk?" Also, when participating in a internet community (and that very much is what RA is) it is probably not a good idea to come across so opinionated, at least until you have established some rapport with folks on the board. Just my $.02 but what do I know, I'm new here too.
                            "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen

Lia's Daddy

Yeah. My boobs. Sure would be nice if going shirtless and braless were an option. Roll eyes
                              If you want I could carry those for you Shocked Sorry- I just couldn't resist!
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you want I could carry those for you Shocked Sorry- I just couldn't resist!
                                Bwahahaha...would you do it for free? At $40 apiece the damned bras get expensive! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay