Running Socks (Read 109 times)

AntoF

Hi Guys,

New to this forum, hope its okay to post here.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a preference of what socks to wear when running.

I'm training for the DCM at the moment and I am suffering a bit with blisters when I have completed a long distance run.

Any help would be apprecited.

Thanks

Fred Janzen

I absolutely love Swiftwicks.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I love Darn Tough socks although I also have some Smartwool.  (Pricey socks are worth it.)

I like wool socks for running regardless of the temp. No I don't find them too hot in the summer heat; they wick and breath well.

You could also try putting some anti-chafe stuff where the hotspots on your feet are. Sometimes it's a good way to prevent rubbing.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I get blisters from shoes that do not fit properly or that are tied too loose.  When my shoes fit right, I can use any socks.  In winter, I use Walmart work socks.  In summer, Walmart athletic socks.

Blisters are caused by rubbing.  If you cannot prevent rubbing, put Band Aids on the sore spots before they deteriorate into blisters.

kcam

I've always preferred the thinnest socks I can get.  I just need a thin layer between my skin and the shoe to prevent the rubbing JRMichler mentioned above.  I'd like to run with no socks at all but I'd get blisters.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I wear Costco pumas for my runs. You can try trail toes or other anti chaffing gels. Are your shoes relatively new?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love Darn Tough socks although I also have some Smartwool.  (Pricey socks are worth it.)

I like wool socks for running regardless of the temp. No I don't find them too hot in the summer heat; they wick and breath well.

You could also try putting some anti-chafe stuff where the hotspots on your feet are. Sometimes it's a good way to prevent rubbing.

This. 2 Toms Blister Shield powder in your socks also really helps, when nothing else does.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Arnoldziffel

I prefer the Smartwool and Features running socks.  Sometimes, it's just worth it to spend a little more money because they will provide great comfort over time and wick away mositure.  Before I moved to the smart wool and Features socks, I used to wear a thin running sock until I encountered some blister problems.  I now wear the thin running sock under the Features or smartwool sock.  This did the trick for me.  No more friction or blisters - just happy feet.  

June 22 - Mad Fox Trail Fest 10K

Balega all the way!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

CloudLine - Wool.

- Doesn't rub your feet when wet

- Doesn't smell

- Good for summer/winter

- Rarely gotten blisters with them (though only so much a sock can do against shoes)

- very resilient to holes

- company service is really great

- about half the price of Smartwool

I've just gone and replaced _all_ my socks with CloudLine.  Last about 2-years or 200 wearings before I get holes.

Only down-side is making sure they don't go in the dryer.

Old Thread on them

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Injinji toe socks. No more blisters.

https://www.amazon.com/Injinji-Trail-Midweight-Mini-Crew-Small/dp/B08MVGFB6R

There are lots of variants on this.

I only wear Injinji

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ve been running mostly in Steigen socks for quite a few years now and have no complaints.  https://steigen.co.uk/product/socks/ 

I also like Balega socks.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

RCPangie

Toe Socks!

I wear Wright socks, they are 2 layers, 1 inside the other. They last about 10 yrs a pair ( I have 10 pairs) and I've never had a blister although I only run 35-50 miles -week.