First Marathon - Your thoughts? (Read 814 times)

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

OK. You all can see in my little tag line thingy that I am doing at least three half marathons (likely four - will probably do the hometown gig in October) this year. I did four half marathons in about a year from October 2007 to November 2008. So, time to consider the first marathon. I live in western Michigan (in a snow globe, I'm reminded by today's weather) and would like the first marathon to be flat and fairly close, but don't want the first race to be the hometown event (Grand Rapids Marathon). Any suggestions from you pros?
    March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)
    xor

Grand Rapids in October And Bayshore (Traverse City) in May (but May 2010, is sold out this year and you need time to train) are both wonderful races and reasonably close. Although you are used to traveling for your halves, there's something to be said about low-stress-logistics of staying close to home for your first full. Besides, both races kick ass. Neither of those races has a ton of spectators, though. Anyway, since you're planned out through September, I'd totally recommend Bayshore the following spring. If you absolutely can't wait that long, there's Glass City in Toledo in April. Not a bad race, fairly easy course. Can be cold, though.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

When do you want to do it? Also, FYI, there are about 5 or 6 half marathons in the Nashville area...since you said April, I assume you meant the Country Music Half Marathon, correct? Wink
        xor

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The Martian Marathon is in early April. I want to do it just for the shirt, assuming they keep such an insane design in future years. Though training would be a bitch. That would mean starting training in Dec. to do an 18 week program...this does NOT sound fun.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pretty safe bet.
              (yeah, some of us locals, especially those of us who direct other races, get all in a tizzy when folks refer to CMM as the Nashville marathon as if it were the only one...Nashville now has ~7 HM, 4 M and at least 1 UM distance races.)
              xor

The Martian Marathon is in early April. I want to do it just for the shirt, assuming they keep such an insane design in future years. Though training would be a bitch. That would mean starting training in Dec. to do an 18 week program...this does NOT sound fun.
                I forgot about Martian. Some years it is the same weekend as Glass City and makes for a popular double among those so inclined. Martian is an easy course and kind of fun... but you will spend most of it by yourself and it can be frightfully cold. I'd only suggest it as a first race for those who don't mind solitude Smile.

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

Yes, I'm doing the Nashville Half Marathon. My running group gets together in January and plans out the 3-4 half marathons that we want to do for the year. Sooo, this year is Nashville, Sunburst and Philly Distance Run. But, there are rumblings that a full is in the offing for 2010 and I'm the chief researcher for races (and for restaurants, I might add). We did the GR half in October of 2008 and loved it. Bayshore, as you mention, is sold out for 2009. We are considering a 15K in Traverse City in July. "Mount McKinley" is the key feature in this race (which in Michigan is probably about 500 feet in elevation). We also did Charlevoix in 2008 and loved it. Though the route is loopy and might be a bit much for a first race.
                  March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)
                  xor

(yeah, some of us locals, especially those of us who direct other races, get all in a tizzy when folks refer to CMM as the Nashville marathon as if it were the only one...Nashville now has ~7 HM, 4 M and at least 1 UM distance races.)
                    ...see that's far less passive-aggressive than the winky smiley.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think there is also a marathon up near Boyne...in the Fall, maybe? I have a friend who did the half and loved it...but it was VERY hilly.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

...see that's far less passive-aggressive than the winky smiley.
                        Thank you, kind sir.
                        xor

Yes, I'm doing the Nashville Half Marathon.
                          Aw, man. You just made Trent madder. That isn't the name. And please don't call it Music City. They don't like that either, trust me.

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

I forgot about Martian. Some years it is the same weekend as Glass City and makes for a popular double among those so inclined. Martian is an easy course and kind of fun... but you will spend most of it by yourself and it can be frightfully cold. I'd only suggest it as a first race for those who don't mind solitude Smile.
                            Good Lord - a double? For those of us doing half marathons - isn't a marathon a double? Ahhh...the Martian. We looked at it for this year. Flat course certainly. I'm guessing there will be a lot fo people dressed as aliens. Correct on the training. It would be a tough here in our happy little snow globe.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

And please don't call it Music City. They don't like that either, trust me.
                              Not. At. All. You know. Since there actually IS a Music City Half Marathon in the Fall...
                              xor

Not. At. All. You know. Since there actually IS a Music City Half Marathon in the Fall...
                                Is ok. I got really mad when people kept confusing the mongolian cluster flub known as the seafair marathon with the seattle marathon. I know what you mean.