Running a 10K 8 Days before a Half-Marathon (Read 589 times)

Rundadrun27

There is a 10K race that I am interested in running 8 days before the Half-Marathon that I am registered for. I would like to race in it, but I am worried that it will affect me for my Half-Marathon 8 days later. There is also a 5K division which I ran last year, but I would like to run the 10K. Can I run the 10K or register for the 5K to save myself for the Half-Marathon?

Half Fanatic #846

I'm no expert, but personally I would run the 10K at about my half marathon pace - using it for practice - a training run. If I raced the 10K that might not be a good idea, but it is 8 days out. What about your taper?? Smile How important is the 10K? With my luck recently, if I raced the 5K "to be safe", I'd probably pull a hammy or something!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Rundadrun27

How important is the 10K? With my luck recently, if I raced the 5K "to be safe", I'd probably pull a hammy or something!
        The 10K is not really important to me. I'm really focused on the HM. It looks like your luck is as good as mine.Wink.
        Slo

Based on your log I don't think there is any problem doing both. It dosen't appear that you would be in any danger of imposing on your Half Mary Finishing time. Probably just the opposite. It'll more than likely be beneficial. Keep doing what your doing, ramping up your mileage, getting a good solid and easy "long"(er) run in once a week and you'll finish with respectable times in both races.
            Go for it! I'd run it as a 10k race and you'll know exactly what kind of shape your in for half. Just keep your runs between the races fairly easy so you recover in time for the half. Good luck!

SMART Approach

I say a 5k is ok but not a 10k on your low miles. If you were doing 40 or miles per week consistently I would say yes, but you are nt. This all out event on your low miles is too much before a half. Make the 5K your last hard quality work out surrounded by a couple slow miles before and after or do a slow long run the day after. Listen to your body.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Rundadrun27

Thanks for everyone's advice. I forgot to mention the Half is May 3 and the 10K is April 25. There is still plenty of time to train for both. Does this information change any of your answers?

SMART Approach

Are you going to ramp up your miles? I just think you need to have a "goal" race and if the half marathon is your "goal" race, why take a chance on potentially affecting your performance. You may not, by why chance it???? Generally, it will take 6-7 days to fully recover from a 10K if you are fit. That is tight. Again, if your miles are up in the 40s or more, no problem, your fitness can support the intensity. It all comes down to how important it is to run your absolute best for this half. If it more of a fun run, then do both races. If the half is a major goal, then only do the 5K. OR, run the 10K at half marathon goal pace which is an excellent race specific work out at the right time frame for a carryover effect. And, recovery will be 2-3 days on your miles per week. Can't really break it down any more than that.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com