Garmin 305 Addiction (Read 2021 times)

obiebyke

Whoa! I've been compulsively looking around at Garmins. I want one for my birthday. Amazon.com is REALLY cheap right now! The 305 is only $26 more than the 205! Too bad my birthday isn't here yet. Anyone have a place to get a (lightly) used one? I'm trolling Craigslist and Amazon (although the Amazon Marketplace ones are currently MORE expensive than Amazon is selling them for new).

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

I have been keeping my eye out for one myself. Ever since the announcement of the 405 the prices have seemed to drop some more. Walmart.com has them for $179. I am buying one after the 1st of Feb Big grin
        I am a 305 addict. I was staying with friends out of town this weekend (non-runners) and when I came back from my run, I headed straight for the computerwith my 305 to update my running log. They couldn't believe I was so obsessed with all the data from my run. When I told them I even enter what shoes I wear and the weather, they thought I had really lost it.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Try ebay.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I never had you pegged for a GPS guy. I've just got this vision of you, kinda grey with a beard sitting in a comfy chair with like 30 or 40 kids of about 9-12 years old sitting on the floor in front of you. "Kids these days! You kids got it so easy! We never had any Garmins or technical fabric when I was your age! We ran in deer skin! That we ran down and skinned ourselves! And we ran SLOW!. We didn't do any of that fancy schmancy speedwork! We HAD to run slow - you try running fast with a big stone sundial to track your pace! And we carved our splits on stone tablets!"
            kcam

"Kids these days! You kids got it so easy! We never had any Garmins or technical fabric when I was your age! We ran in deer skin! That we ran down and skinned ourselves! And we ran SLOW!. We didn't do any of that fancy schmancy speedwork! We HAD to run slow - you try running fast with a big stone sundial to track your pace! And we carved our splits on stone tablets!"
              ... and we LIKED it!!!
                I love my garmin, its so great to compare my runs with the past . The one thing i havent done is use it during a race. i am tempted to try it out on the 20th at the carlsbad half marathon. Does everyone else wear them for races??

Dave

I do. I've seen race reports where people run by their HR levels but I generally go by pace. I think they're most useful to keep from running too fast early on longer race distances.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

"Kids these days! You kids got it so easy! We never had any Garmins or technical fabric when I was your age! We ran in deer skin! That we ran down and skinned ourselves!
                    And we ran uphill - both ways! In the snow . . . . . I'm way, way slow, too, but I love the freedom I get from my 305 to just run where I feel like without having to worry about re-tracing the route on gmaps to figure out how far I've gone. I am pretty obsessive, though, and have to force myself not to watch it too often. Twilight runs are great for me - with my middle aged eyes, I'd have to stop to read the screen, so I just keep going! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

I have the 205 and I'm like a big baby if I have to run without it. I run at lunch a lot, and if I forget to take it off the charger and put it in my bag, I freak out. As a relatively new runner (1.5 years into it) it's a huge help, especially on my long runs. I can make sure I don't go out too fast and not save anything for the long haul.
                        On the downside, I've actually turned around and not run because the batteries were dead Sad
                        Just. Spat. Coffee. Out. Big grin
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like the freedom I feel with being able to run on different streets but still keep track of the distance and not worry about mapping it at home.
                          This is what I love most...being able to noodle around on streets and paved rail trail paths that aren't even on Google Maps. That was the primary lust behind the Garmin for me. It's so freeing to just run wherever I feel like and not have to try to remember all the randomness of a particular route later. I actually feel LESS obsessed about time and distance on the run. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love my garmin, its so great to compare my runs with the past . The one thing i havent done is use it during a race. i am tempted to try it out on the 20th at the carlsbad half marathon. Does everyone else wear them for races??
                            I have only done one race since getting my Garmin, but it was useful to have. The race was billed as a 6 miler, but a volunteer messed up and was directing people to turn too early on an out-and-back, so it was essentially a 5.45 miler. The race director and timing management company later sent postcards out to finishers apologizing and explaining the mix-up. Because I had my Garmin I knew something was up when I ran mile 5 at about 5 minutes faster than normal. There's also a 15k race near me that is wonderful and has a beautiful course, but this past year the miles weren't marked well...I ran it too easy since I had no idea what my pace was and didn't want to burn-out. Had I had a Garmin I would have known and finished better. That said, I don't get the HRM thing during races...I just race by feel.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ack. Lost my chest strap. Where are my numbers? I've learned, through months of monitoring, sort of where my breathing should be for a "tempo" pace and an "easy" pace. I always use the HRM in races to monitor my pace. It knows when it's hot/humid out better than I do. I keep an eye on HR early in long races and at the end, use it for motivation (150? c'mon Jim you've run 150 lots of times, quit complaining) Where's my dang strap?
                                Whoa! I've been compulsively looking around at Garmins. I want one for my birthday. Amazon.com is REALLY cheap right now! The 305 is only $26 more than the 205! Too bad my birthday isn't here yet. Anyone have a place to get a (lightly) used one? I'm trolling Craigslist and Amazon (although the Amazon Marketplace ones are currently MORE expensive than Amazon is selling them for new).
                                Keep looking! If you know how to use ebay, it can be a very good place. My mom got me one for christmas and bought it for $190, but it was unopened and came with the the $50 mail in rebate. So in reality, she got it for only $140. Not bad Smile
                                keep running!