Tell me how you've HTFU'd lately (Read 2844 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I ATE BACON ALL THREE MEALS TODAY!! Big grin wait, I think I have the wrong forum
    Yeah, that's the HTAU thread (Harden The Arteries Up).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

A Saucy Wench

I've been sluggish on the pace and today in driving wind and rain I almost gave up and went home and instead decided that "if I cant hold a 10 minute mile, then maybe I can hold a 9 minute mile" and ended up doing a progression run, each mile faster until I finished the last 1/4 mile at 5K pace.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I ATE BACON ALL THREE MEALS TODAY!! Big grin
        Best day ever! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Best day ever! Big grin
          I'm tapering and need something to get me through the day. Bacon seems like the most harmless choice Wink
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bacon is one of the reasons I could never go vegetarian...I won't even try.

~ Sarah Kay

I am a long time reader, first time poster to this forum. I am also an infrequent poster to the cool running board, and a refugee to RA. I am often encouraged by all of your helpful support and find myself repeating HTFU to myself as I do my runs. I am training for the Indianapolis "Mini-marathon" or HM in May, and am moving through my training plan. On Friday, I decided to do my Saturday's long run as we had family obligations on Saturday that may keep me from having the time. I got home late from work and did not get out until it was almost dark. I decided (after repeating HTFU to myself) that I would go ahead and go despite the oncoming darkness. I run on mostly deserted country roads, got all of my mileage in (5 miles) in the dark, and had to pause several times when cars passed to make sure that I was visible and not in danger. I even had one car stop and ask me if I was OK because I was standing by the road waiting for them to pass. I just told them that even though I was running in the dark in sub 40F weather(whis is akin to lunacy in most folks minds), that I was in fact OK. It was too dark for me to see the mileage on my Garmin 201, so I even ran an extra half mile or so when all was said and done. It was all possible because I repeated HTFU in my head while I was running. Thanks to all of you for helping me by giving me the motivation to keep going, when most people would have bagged it due to the conditions. I am in Indiana, so I hated to waste a good, almost 40 F day to run, so I HTFU and did it anwyay. That is my story.... Thanks for the encouragement.
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good going, tnctippy! It's so hard to run in the cold and dark. I'm like you - the people on this site motivate me, too! Yesterday, my running partner really didn't want to run when it was 16 degrees and the roads were in horrible condition. But I told her the positives were that it wasn't windy and there was no slush, so what the heck! She hadn't run in 10 days, so I knew she needed to get out there. HTFU is a phrase that I repeat often to myself.
                  Yesterday I went out for what I thought would be a very pleasant run in above freezing temperatures for the first time in a while. I got outside and immediately realized that it was snowing, but decided that it would be nice to run in a snowfall, so headed off. Within 2 minutes I discovered that although the streets were bare, the sidewalks certainly were not. Everytime I got to an intersection I had to duck-walk through the slush and water then start off again. People were looking at me like I was crazy and the sidewalks were not cleared very well so between the water and poor footing, it was tough going. About 5 times I felt like turning around and going home. But I decided to HTFU and keep going. I purposely went on a route that gave me no short-cuts or turnarounds. I ended up getting a 10k run in. Yeah! Today, the windchill is -20C (-4F) and I don't know whether I can HTFU after yesterday - I'm going to jump on the treadmill.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It was all possible because I repeated HTFU in my head while I was running. Thanks to all of you for helping me by giving me the motivation to keep going, when most people would have bagged it due to the conditions.
                    HTFU has had me running on numerous occasions when other more sane runners would retreat to the comfort of the dreadmill. Smile I think to myself "what would Chopper Read do?" Of course, I won't be running today with windchills below -20ยบ, and gusts ~40mph, but that is as much because I ran the last 3 days as it is due to today's nasty weather.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Today, the windchill is -20C (-4F) and I don't know whether I can HTFU after yesterday - I'm going to jump on the treadmill.
                      I did 3 miles this year when it was a windchill of -8. Only reason I didn't go longer is that I had a raw spot on my foot from ill-fitting shoes. You can do it! Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

Today it was -9F with wind chill factor with 36MPH gusts. I ran 5M. It was probably my toughest run ever. (Except for that one time I ran a 14 mile out and back and got a migrane at mile 7 and vomited for 7 miles; that sucked, but in a way different way...)
                        gregjkm

So, I am in Orlando Fl so it was nice out. A good no shirt day, the only problem running while hungover is no fun at all(stupid friends 21st birthday party). I still got in my 4mi, after reading this discussion it made me want to go out and do it so thanks all.
                            after reading this discussion it made me want to go out and do it so thanks all.
                            Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. What the heck, the sun will be going down soon the wind should let up a little and I'm 90% sure I'll be out there. Figures I'll probably finally go run and not even have a bit of sun left, I am a masochist Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I just did 4 miles in 30 mph gusts, snow squalls, 17 degrees F. I have no idea what wind chill made it seem like, but I felt like Dorothy trying to run into the tornado. It's a good thing I don't care what the neighbors think - I need to run.
                                Today was a very nice day out, about 51 degrees at lunch time. I wanted to run in the afternoon, so I did the sensible thinig and ate a huge Mexican food lunch. 1. Mondo Burrito, 2. Chips and salsa, and 3. A soft taco my daughter couldn't finish. Also, two glasses of iced tea. Anyway, I knew I was in for trouble when I set off on my run about an hour later. I managed five miles at a decent pace, but my arms felt like I was carrying bricks. I guess you could say I HTFU'd, even though I brought it on myself. I still don't regret the burrito.
                                Do bears bear? Do bees be?