Is it all just a marketing Sham? (Read 1698 times)

Why is it sideways?

I think it's all a marketing sham.
    JakeKnight

Eureka! Exactly! Now maybe a 3hr or better Marathoner can truly Bonk. Someone like myself who is trying to run 4hrs, simply isn't fit enough to bonk. I will wear down first.
      I'll start with emoticons to emphasize my jocularity: Clowning around Smile Now the question: do you think its possible that maybe - just maybe - you should run a marathon - maybe, say, one - before you form all these opinion? That maybe -just maybe - you should experience "the wall" at least, say, once for yourself, before you decide you know everything about it? Or is that silly? To repeat: Tongue Cool Yes Modified to add:
      MTA- My body probably holds the same amount of Glycogen as you fast guys, there is no way I can burn mine all up in a race the same length unless I'm going at least your speed.
      Sigh. You're not listening to what Mikey and Scout told you. Comparative speed does not matter. If you run a bit too fast *for you* - you will hit that Wall. Period. Science wins. I give up.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eureka! Exactly! Now maybe a 3hr or better Marathoner can truly Bonk. Someone like myself who is trying to run 4hrs, simply isn't fit enough to bonk. I will wear down first.
        Try this. Eat low carbs for a week. Better yet, eat NO carbs for a week. Now, go out to a track or a flat stretch of road. Start running at a moderate effort. You will bonk. It will happen in 20-30 minutes. It will be spectacular.
        MTA- My body probably holds the same amount of Glycogen as you fast guys, there is no way I can burn mine all up in a race the same length unless I'm going at least your speed.
        Go back and reread my post. Energy burning is a function of distance, not time. If you cover 26.2 miles, you will burn the same number of calories, more or less, whether you are running a 6 minute pace or a 10 minute pace (as long as you are actually running).

Why is it sideways?

My awareness is being clouded by this thread.

Lazy idiot

My awareness is being clouded by this thread.
            My awareness was clouded running behind JK on a beer run.

Tick tock

Why is it sideways?

I don't think that cloud was your awareness.

Lazy idiot

I don't think that cloud was your awareness.
                Could have been my glasses. I should quit brown nosing.

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Try this. Eat low carbs for a week. Better yet, eat NO carbs for a week. Now, go out to a track or a flat stretch of road. Start running at a moderate effort. You will bonk. It will happen in 20-30 minutes. It will be spectacular.
                  Earlier in my running days (ie like a year or so ago) I decided to play around with Atkins induction level carbs (20 net carbs or lower per day) for a few days. I lost 60#s on Atkins (and ate healthier in those days than I am now, sadly...lots more salads and veggies when one's not filling up on breads and potatoes) and have maintained 40 lost. There are crazy people out there who run marathons on VLC diets, so I was curious to see how long *I* could go after a few days of eating VLC. I made it about 4 miles. Suddenly felt like the best thing in the world would be a pillow. I wanted to curl up on the side of the rail trail and have a long nap. And a cheeseburger. Perhaps simultaneously. I couldn't take another step, at least not running. Walking wasn't particularly easy for that last mile home, either.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Here's another sham: Damn Sam.

Scout7

Eureka! Exactly! Now maybe a 3hr or better Marathoner can truly Bonk. Someone like myself who is trying to run 4hrs, simply isn't fit enough to bonk. I will wear down first. MTA- My body probably holds the same amount of Glycogen as you fast guys, there is no way I can burn mine all up in a race the same length unless I'm going at least your speed.
                      Actually, that's not what I said at all. If you run as fast as you can, you're running anaerobically. Think of a sprinter. Your body can only hold that pace for so long before it has to slow down. That's not a bonk. A bonk can be accomplished by anyone. It's based on glycogen levels. If you burn up enough, you will bonk, hit the wall, whatever you want to call it. Most people don't bonk in a 5K because it's too short. However, as Trent has indicated, it's entirely possible to do so. I've had the initial feelings of it on training runs after only a couple miles.
                        Try this. Eat low carbs for a week. Better yet, eat NO carbs for a week. Now, go out to a track or a flat stretch of road. Start running at a moderate effort. You will bonk. It will happen in 20-30 minutes. It will be spectacular. Go back and reread my post. Energy burning is a function of distance, not time. If you cover 26.2 miles, you will burn the same number of calories, more or less, whether you are running a 6 minute pace or a 10 minute pace (as long as you are actually running).
                        I'm still awaiting your reply to my question about your post. I'll repeat it how come we are burning the "Fight or Flight" energy as we are sleeping but we burn fat while slow running Clowning around Tongue

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm still awaiting your reply to my question about your post. I'll repeat it how come we are burning the "Fight or Flight" energy as we are sleeping but we burn fat while slow running Clowning around Tongue
                          When sleeping and at basal, you burn both fat and glycogen. Much of this discussion, though, is about the energy sources used for the incremental calorie expenditure that occurs during running.
                          JakeKnight

Earlier in my running days (ie like a year or so ago) I decided to play around with Atkins induction level carbs (20 net carbs or lower per day) for a few days. I lost 60#s on Atkins (and ate healthier in those days than I am now, sadly...lots more salads and veggies when one's not filling up on breads and potatoes) and have maintained 40 lost. There are crazy people out there who run marathons on VLC diets, so I was curious to see how long *I* could go after a few days of eating VLC. I made it about 4 miles. Suddenly felt like the best thing in the world would be a pillow. I wanted to curl up on the side of the rail trail and have a long nap. And a cheeseburger. Perhaps simultaneously. I couldn't take another step, at least not running. Walking wasn't particularly easy for that last mile home, either.
                            Yup. My first experience with "the wall" wasn't from running at all. It was in the second hour of a martial arts class, a long time ago. I was trying one of those same diets, and had eaten nothing but red meat and lettuce for days. (Don't ask. It was like the "cleansing phase" or something). I felt great. Then all of a sudden, I could barely throw a kick or a punch. Now I know exactly what happened. Science happened.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                            -----------------------------

I'll start with emoticons to emphasize my jocularity: Clowning around Smile Now the question: do you think its possible that maybe - just maybe - you should run a marathon - maybe, say, one - before you form all these opinion? That maybe -just maybe - you should experience "the wall" at least, say, once for yourself, before you decide you know everything about it? Or is that silly? To repeat: Tongue Cool Yes Modified to add: Sigh. You're not listening to what Mikey and Scout told you. Comparative speed does not matter. If you run a bit too fast *for you* - you will hit that Wall. Period. Science wins. I give up.
                              LMAO - Some people like to know what they are getting into, so they ask all kinds of silly questions before they are in a mess. Like What if? What happens? Is it posssible? and then some people have to experience problems first and then wonder what happened Clowning around Tongue. Which are you Jake Wink

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Scout7

We ALWAYS burn both. The ratio is what's different. The brain can only burn glycogen, and doesn't store its own, so it gets it from the bloodstream. Fight or flight response is usually for a short duration of speed/strength, and won't really result in that much energy loss, anyway.