2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

Congrats!  That's perfect execution.

Thank you!

chances141

Things went great today. 2:50:24 at the Wineglass Marathon. 6:29 pace, 1:25:21 first half, slightly negative split second half. No complaints. I am thrilled.

Well done, ccowden!  Looking forward to a race report!

DoppleBock

Congrats - a sub 3 is always good 

With the assistance of a downhill 25th mile (100 ft elevation loss) I squeaked by in 2:59:08. Akron a more challenging course than my PR course in Toledo.

The men's race was a sprint finish and a 1-second margin of victory. Video here

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Things went great today. 2:50:24 at the Wineglass Marathon. 6:29 pace, 1:25:21 first half, slightly negative split second half. No complaints. I am thrilled.

Sweet! - New leader!

kcam

Nice race ccowden.  2:50 - damm!  Also, congrats to DB for his sub-3 today.  

DoppleBock

Someone from this board pulled me into position for a sub 3:00

Mile 3 - I was 20-30 seconds behind him - I worked my ass off for 8 miles to catch up to him and then leached off his top notch pacing for 8 miles before his friend was sliding and I had to go it alone. 2:59:24

2 thoughts:

1)  After a week at Disney - 1 bottle of Tequilla & Margarita mix + 2 cases of beer - I left WI @ 220 and busted the scale @ 229 this morning, so I am damn proud how I fought and was hurting by mile #3 to eek one out.  1:29:31 / 1:29:53. 2nd hardest I have ever worked in a marathon!

2)  I let a perfect PR day slip though my fingers - High 30s at start to mid 40s @ finish - Generally a cross wind to tail wind most of the way - Although I felt like I had a breeze in my face for at least 10-12 miles - But it was light.  So I am pissed for the missed opportunity - We do not get to many chances at a near perfect day to run a marathon!

Why is it sideways?

Congrats to all the sub-3 graduates out there. Good running!

Last big week of training for me: 100 miles in 11 runs. The nice weather we've had here made everything a lot easier.

Nothing too hard workout-wise this week:

one fartlek 90s on/ 90s off

Steady 8 miler avg. 5:50 pace

Easy long run of 17 miles

Two weeks to go, and I feel good.

kcam

Week 3 training - 71 miles in 9 runs.  A 'big' run on Wednesday 6X1600 @ 97sec/400, 200 jog recover with long w/u & c/d, another 5K XC race Saturday and 18miles easy this morning.  

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it. I saw dcv on the course and also someone else on a bike who said they were from these forums. Pretty cool.

The shirtless wonder

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it. I saw dcv on the course and also someone else on a bike who said they were from these forums. Pretty cool.

I was the weirdo on the bike.  Smile  You looked exactly the same as you do in your photo here.  I figured I'd cheer for you by name.  Even if it was weird I thought it might take your mind off the race/entertain you.  At the very least it would entertain me.

You ran a very impressive race.  What did you think of the course and the race? 

I'm sure I saw DCV multiple times but I have no idea what he looks like. 

Feeling the growl again

Congrats to everyone making their goals this week.

My training has continued a downhill spiral consistent with what I was expecting with this travel.  Only 30-odd miles last week.  Have been in London for almost a week now, only a couple runs with way too much drinking, probably too much food and little decent sleep.  This will probably cost me 2-3 minutes come 10/16. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Taper for me.  47 miles with 1 WO.  3x1mi @ 10K pace w/ 400m recovery

T-minus 6 days...

Congrats to DB and ccowden this weekend - well fought DB, & ccowden that was absolutely brilliantly run, 2:50 with a negative split, quality!

mikeymike

Congrats to those who got id done this weekend.

Last week I was battling a head cold that caused me to take an unplanned day off but I managed 66 miles.  Workouts included an 11.7 mile easy fartlek on Tuesday and an 18 miler on Sunday with 6 at MP, or maybe a bit faster than that.

2 weeks left.

Runners run

Yes ccowden blew by me going up one of hills @ mile 5. I then got a stomach cramp that took about 3/4 miles to go away. Once that went away I actually felt pretty good and actually was probably 5 meters behind ccowden at the water/gel stop just past the halfway point. He then proceeded to basically take off from there as I started to slow down around 17-18 miles. I didn't hit the wall,but just had general fatigue and soreness in my legs that made it tough to get down into the 6:3x's or even low 6:4x's. I managed a 2:53. Given my crapola racing this summer I'm actually surprised I ran that fast.

I think ccowden might have mentioned this elsewhere, but the course though not difficult is not as easy as described/looks. There are lots of gently rolling uphills and it seems to me a lot of uneven footing turns, etc the last 8 miles of the course. I came in 19th overall, 4th in my age group. Running this marathon has confirmed to me that I do not like running these small marathons where the course is open to traffic etc. Somethings I did not like about it:

1. 35 port-a-potties at the start for a race with 1800 marathon entrants and 500 relay teams. Not enough.

2. No idea where on the roads we were supposed to run. Were we supposed to run tangents, stay to one side of the road, etc. etc. No clue.

3. Not a fan of running races with cars on the roads. Though it wasn't a problem, just not a fan.

4. GregRowe not meant to offend but there were an awful lot of bicyclists on the road zooming back and forth.

5. Lots of turns at the end, but a steep short downhill after mile 21 = quad killers.

6. If the website says you are going to have the awards at 1230pm, have the awards at 1230pm and don't start them earlier because "its getting warm out".

7. Water stops were so randomly places I had no clue when and where they would come. Some were less than a mile apart some were more than 2-3 miles apart. The first water stop was at 4.5 miles....

It was a nice marathon. Great course for spectators to see you at many places. Beautiful scenery. More crowd support than I actual expected. Unique post-/pre- race gifts

But I'd rather run Boston/Chicago over these small races any day....