Illinois Marathon-Anyone Running This? (Read 653 times)

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Who else is in? This is my first race ever. I'm doing the Half. Weather looks good.
      I'm in. Doing the full. The weather looks good but maybe a little bit windy. I think it is supposed to be around 32 for the start and 50 for the finish (40 for the finish for anybody reasonably fast). Good luck.
      xor

I'll be there. It'll be my 50th state. (code for "I've run a marathon in 49 states previously, and this is my missing one") WOOHOO FOR PINK!

Just Happy to Run

That's great! Good luck Pink! Big grin (I'm surprised it was over 200 marathons for you to complete this, not a goal at first?) Doing the 7 continents next?
          Jason

2010 Goals
          • M PR (Current: 6:27:00) • HM PR (Current: 2:13:14) • 5k under 25:00 • 10k under 59:00 • Weekly Milage of ~25 miles

Just Happy to Run

Of course AFTER I post it hits me... 50 is just a quarter of what you ran... with all the travel planning, sounds reasonable. Smile
            Jason

2010 Goals
            • M PR (Current: 6:27:00) • HM PR (Current: 2:13:14) • 5k under 25:00 • 10k under 59:00 • Weekly Milage of ~25 miles
            xor

That's great! Good luck Pink! Big grin (I'm surprised it was over 200 marathons for you to complete this, not a goal at first?) Doing the 7 continents next?
              Interesting thing. Finishing the 50 states was actually one of my early marathon goals. I was supposed to finish in 2006 (five years after I started), but I got sidetracked and it became less important than other goals. Like chasing women and stuff. So.... knock on wood that I have no travel or race issues... I'll hit 50 after 7 1/2 years. That's fine. I have no plans for the continents. I got international travel out of my system in my former work life. I'd still like to do some odd ones (islands, for example... Iceland, Easter Island), but I don't feel like specifically visiting all the continents again just for a marathon. (ok, in fairness, I've never been to South America nor Antarctica).

protoplasm72

Didn't this race almost get canceled due to lack of volunteers? You almost had to wait a little longer to get your 50th state.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

xor

8000 runners signed up for the full (2000), half (4000), and 5k (2000). I was shocked. I thought it was going to be a 500 person marathon with maybe 2500 in the half. I surely hope they found volunteers. Lots and lots of volunteers.

Good luck to all of you, my brothers and I will be there (all RunningAhead members). 2 of us will be running the marathon while my other brother will be running the half. It should be a fun race, the weather looks to be decent for the time of year in Illinois. Srlopez, good luck to you on the 50th! Any particular goals for anyone? I would like to break 3... we shall see Big grin
                    xor

I'm in Chicago at the moment. I would have simply driven from ORD, but I got a free flight, so I maximized my flying distance. Which means I have to keep my fingers crossed about my connection to Champaign. Anyway, shouldn't be a big deal. Race goal for me... I'm doing training runs; my goal race (or race season, depending) is July. So, tomorrow will be 3:40-3:50 depending on how I feel with a goal of running as evenly as possible. My other race goal is a quirky thing... I want to run cold. I have tropical genes and I'm cold at anything under 60, so I tend to overdress. This really killed me last weekend. I'm going to try to man up tomorrow. But WIND makes it harder for me, and it shall be breeeezzy. My other goal SHOULD HAVE BEEN "take lots of pictures to remember my 50th state", but I showed up in The Land of Lincoln w/o my camera. crapola.

I have no plans for the continents. I got international travel out of my system in my former work life. I'd still like to do some odd ones (islands, for example... Iceland, Easter Island), but I don't feel like specifically visiting all the continents again just for a marathon. (ok, in fairness, I've never been to South America nor Antarctica).
                        Don't forget about Greece -- Hear they have a pretty nice 'original' marathon there.........

Champions are made when no one is watching

I'm in Chicago at the moment. I would have simply driven from ORD, but I got a free flight, so I maximized my flying distance. Which means I have to keep my fingers crossed about my connection to Champaign. Anyway, shouldn't be a big deal. Race goal for me... I'm doing training runs; my goal race (or race season, depending) is July. So, tomorrow will be 3:40-3:50 depending on how I feel with a goal of running as evenly as possible. My other race goal is a quirky thing... I want to run cold. I have tropical genes and I'm cold at anything under 60, so I tend to overdress. This really killed me last weekend. I'm going to try to man up tomorrow. But WIND makes it harder for me, and it shall be breeeezzy. My other goal SHOULD HAVE BEEN "take lots of pictures to remember my 50th state", but I showed up in The Land of Lincoln w/o my camera. crapola.
                          You just need to rock and old dress shirt as a throw away... Good luck on your 50th state, I hope you win! Now back to the large pile o' tax returns on my desk - just a few more days.
                          MM# 1477

Driver, Runner, Bestie

I am only in the Half and my first race at that. So my goal is 2:15. At the Expo I found a pace group, so I will try to hook up with them. I am not a group runner, so I have no idea how it will feel. I generally speed up the longer I go, so I am worried that although my training runs can be 10:20 overall, I know that my starting miles are always slower. I hope this group doesn't start out too fast for me.
                            xor

Wow, what a gorgeous day! And yesterday's 30 mph steady wind was much reduced. Phew. The community really came out. I only have two small goofy things I recall about the race, but what an excellent first-time event. Especially considering the size. Hope everyone else had fun and made their goals. I did. AND I got to hang out with Dick Beardsley at the airport. Now I am double disappointed that I forgot my camera.

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Missed my goal by 20 seconds. But I was really happy with the overall experience and it was a beautiful day. A fun and flat course.