2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

gilbertlemieux

Parklife, that's awesome!  Congrats on a great run (and a negative split last 10k?)

You bet. The whole thing was like a really long progression run. Last 10k in at 40:30-ish.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

That is pretty damn impressive!  Although significant improvements are made over the course of a year for most newbies, many people take a good 30 minutes off their first marathon time after a couple of years.  Just think of your potential with continued training over the next few years.   Enjoy smashing new PR's! 

Started training for a half marathon less than a year ago. Decided around mid-Dec that I needed to run a marathon. Picked out The Ave and ran yesterday...

2:55:33.... Fourth overall.. third in the age group.

The last six miles my average pace was just under 6:30.

Turbolegs

You bet. The whole thing was like a really long progression run. Last 10k in at 40:30-ish.

You are a genetic goldmine. How did you do it !!!! W2G !!

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

spinach

I am scheduled to run the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon next week but I won't be anywhere near 3 hours in it.  Good luck to Don in it, I hope he gets his goal, it is a very fast course.  But I am not in shape to run it.  Right now I do plan to start it and hope I can finish it but that may not be possible.  The hamstring problem I had this winter has taken too big a toll on my training.  Before this past weekend the longest run i had since the Sandbox Indoor Marathon in February was 6 miles.  I did manage to run the Lake Minnetonka Half on sunday but I struggled to get under 1:40.

I will attempt to do Wobegon as a long training run since I have done it every year and want to keep that streak going but I will make no attempt at racing it. It seems that my goal to try to do a sub three will be postponed to either Paavo in August or to some undetermined marathon in the fall.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

I am scheduled to run the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon next week but I won't be anywhere near 3 hours in it.  Good luck to Don in it, I hope he gets his goal, it is a very fast course.  But I am not in shape to run it.  Right now I do plan to start it and hope I can finish it but that may not be possible.  The hamstring problem I had this winter has taken too big a toll on my training.  Before this past weekend the longest run i had since the Sandbox Indoor Marathon in February was 6 miles.  I did manage to run the Lake Minnetonka Half on sunday but I struggled to get under 1:40.

I will attempt to do Wobegon as a long training run since I have done it every year and want to keep that streak going but I will make no attempt at racing it. It seems that my goal to try to do a sub three will be postponed to either Paavo in August or to some undetermined marathon in the fall.

Thanks man, I'm feeling really good right now. I paced the 3:15 group at Eau Claire on Sunday and holy windy day.  One thing that is very encouraging is how easy 3:15 felt despite the tough conditions (we ran into the wind from miles 14-~19.5) coupled with the fact that I, on a whim, decided to run 21 miles on Saturday afternoon.  My endurance is feeling strong, so now I'll ramp it down and let the legs recover for a crack at that 2:49 goal on 5/14.

I had some friends and my  younger brother running Lake Minnetonka on Sunday.  It sounds like the wind conditions were just as bad there as they were in Eau Claire. 

Hope to meet up with you at Lake Wobegon.  I'll be arriving at the race that morning with two other buddies who are also running the race.  Right now I'm just hoping for good weather and less wind than we've had lately.  I couldn't imagine trying to race Eau Claire with the wind gusting as it was on Sunday.  It would've killed my race for sure. 

If we don't connect, best wishes to you at Wobegon.

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
              The days of my youth are far behind
              My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
              Can't hear one-half that's being said
              And this is the message I want you to get
              I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

Just realized I owe an update here.  I had originally signed on for Boston, but ended up a DNS after my son got sick and ended up in the hospital from the Thursday before Boston to the next Wednesday.  He's fine now, so I jumped into the Providence marathon this past weekend and managed a 2:45:19.  I'm really happy with it considering the change of plans and that it's a 13 minute PR and my first marathon where I didn't crash.  It's good to finally have a successful marathon to learn from, and hopefully I'll be able to get it down a little closer to 2:40 next time around.

Running Boston in memory of my son.  Want to help?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Goals:

1. Run Boston for Matthew (< 2:40 if possible)
                2. Run 5k < 16:00
                3. Hold off father time for at least another year
                spinach

Hope to meet up with you at Lake Wobegon.  I'll be arriving at the race that morning with two other buddies who are also running the race.  Right now I'm just hoping for good weather and less wind than we've had lately.  I couldn't imagine trying to race Eau Claire with the wind gusting as it was on Sunday.  It would've killed my race for sure. 

If we don't connect, best wishes to you at Wobegon.

Don,

I will look for you next week.  I will be wearing my blue Team Aquaphor uniform, I should be identifiable by it.  I just hope the wind calms down by then and it is a little warmer than last weekend.

Just realized I owe an update here.  I had originally signed on for Boston, but ended up a DNS after my son got sick and ended up in the hospital from the Thursday before Boston to the next Wednesday.  He's fine now, so I jumped into the Providence marathon this past weekend and managed a 2:45:19.  I'm really happy with it considering the change of plans and that it's a 13 minute PR and my first marathon where I didn't crash.  It's good to finally have a successful marathon to learn from, and hopefully I'll be able to get it down a little closer to 2:40 next time around.

What a great improvement!  Going from 2:58 to 2:45 is inspiring.  Although based on your half-marathon pr, I bet there's a lot more room for improvement.

Just wanted to express my thanks to the entire RA group. Every part of my running community deserves credit for my training, especially this group. It helped every week / day to stop by and read comments from experienced runners to first timers. Now that the marathon is over, I'm a bit lost on what goal to aim at next. I suppose it will sort itself out.

And we run because we like it
                      Through the broad bright land

kcam

What a great improvement!  Going from 2:58 to 2:45 is inspiring.  Although based on your half-marathon pr, I bet there's a lot more room for improvement.

True.  To see runners like negative_split and ChakaKahn among many others here take so much off their marathon times is very inspiring.  I wish I had participated in a group like we have on RA back when I first started running.  I had no idea that mere mortals could accomplish these types of results!  Keep it up guys!

Thanks kencamet and bpurcell.  The RA community has definitely helped me.  I used to be a low mileage guy - thought 70-80 miles a week was just for the "elite" runners and would break me.  Seeing so many "normal" people logging that mileage here helped me realize I could do it, and has made a huge difference in my running.  Now 70-80 seems normal and 100 seems high.  I'm sure that will change again if I bump up any further.

As for the 1/2 PR, yes I think it indicates I should be able to handle a faster marathon.  That will be the goal next time.  But for now, I'm happy with the 2:45, and ready to shift back to shorter stuff for the summer.

Good luck to everyone with upcoming sub-3 attempts.

Running Boston in memory of my son.  Want to help?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Goals:

1. Run Boston for Matthew (< 2:40 if possible)
                          2. Run 5k < 16:00
                          3. Hold off father time for at least another year
                          xhristopher

Coach Clive,

I just registered for Baystate on October 16th. I hear that's a good place to give it a go.

Thanks,

X

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Had my last speed session today before the marathon on Saturday.  I feel pretty good about the results even with the heat and humidity in Mpls today. Ran first mile to warmup at 6:47, then busted out 3 fast miles (5:46, 5:41 and 5:35) and attempted to "cooldown" but could only manage to slow down to 6:17 and 6:27 respectively.  Those paces felt much easier than the previous 3 fast miles so I guess that's good for a cooldown, right?

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
                              The days of my youth are far behind
                              My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
                              Can't hear one-half that's being said
                              And this is the message I want you to get
                              I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

Good luck tomorrow Don! Ben and I are currently on the drive to Illinois talking about how youre gonna kill it!! Smile We'll be pulling for ya! Run fast!!