2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

HermosaBoy

That's why veterans like us take to our finishing kick earlier if we are serious - You know like at 1 mile to go.

Actually, I probably would have started at the gun.  Then I don't have to worry at all...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Hi Clive,

Can you put me down for the Nottingham Marathon, UK on Sept 11th.  The goal is sub 2:50

Cheers!

DB, Congrats on another consecutive year of sub 3:00!  I am looking forward to hearing about you kicking some ass at leadville!

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Late to the party but congrats to DB on a kick ass race at Grandma's. My bro and I were talking yesterday about people just being able to bring it at a race even with less than stellar training and Dopple came up as the end-all-be-all of that category.  Nice job!  I might want to enlist your guidance on FANS 24 Hour race next year.  Have never run an ultra race but am itching to throw my hat in the ring.

I ran my 10K race on Saturday and smashed my goal of sub-37.  Hit a 35:39, which was even good enough for 1st place overall since Ben Schneider didn't race that one.  Big grin

My hair is gone and I'm almost blind
          The days of my youth are far behind
          My neck is stiff, I can't turn my head
          Can't hear one-half that's being said
          And this is the message I want you to get
          I'm still a-kicking, and I ain't dead yet.

DoppleBock

Thanks all

Don - If you decide to do FANS and want adviCe - PM me and I will answer anything I can - It is a great race

Congrats on the 35:39 - BTW - My PR is a 35:46 - which lead to a 2:45:58 marathon - So that must put you closer to 2:44 for the marathon

Just saying ...

Late to the party but congrats to DB on a kick ass race at Grandma's. My bro and I were talking yesterday about people just being able to bring it at a race even with less than stellar training and Dopple came up as the end-all-be-all of that category.  Nice job!  I might want to enlist your guidance on FANS 24 Hour race next year.  Have never run an ultra race but am itching to throw my hat in the ring.

I ran my 10K race on Saturday and smashed my goal of sub-37.  Hit a 35:39, which was even good enough for 1st place overall since Ben Schneider didn't race that one.  Big grin

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Thanks all

Don - If you decide to do FANS and want adviCe - PM me and I will answer anything I can - It is a great race

Congrats on the 35:39 - BTW - My PR is a 35:46 - which lead to a 2:45:58 marathon - So that must put you closer to 2:44 for the marathon

Just saying ...

Thanks man.  I ran some laps w/ my bro this year (he ended up with 103+ for the event, huge improvement over his 85 miles from 2010) and really want to see what I can do out there in 2012.  I would have given it a go this year but was already committed to pace the 3:10 group at Mpls Marathon, which was Sunday morning after FANS finished.

The plan for NYC is 2:44 - 2:47, but hoping to be closer to that 2:44 mark.  The race yesterday a week after a big mileage week gives me more confidence that it is feasible.

Turbolegs

Don - Congratz on blitzing the 10km. I must now draw your attention redressing the wrongs in your signature. Big grin

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

Don - Congratz on blitzing the 10km. I must now draw your attention redressing the wrongs in your signature. Big grin

Fixed.  Good call, thanks for keeping me honest.  Big grin

DoppleBock

I am sorry - I can not remember - Did we meet at FANS this year?  I was there for 20 hours - Having fun for the 1st part and then counted 1-8pm short laps and then the outward aide station from midnight to 7 am .  Then short laps again from 7-8am. 

Thanks man.  I ran some laps w/ my bro this year (he ended up with 103+ for the event, huge improvement over his 85 miles from 2010) and really want to see what I can do out there in 2012.  I would have given it a go this year but was already committed to pace the 3:10 group at Mpls Marathon, which was Sunday morning after FANS finished.

The plan for NYC is 2:44 - 2:47, but hoping to be closer to that 2:44 mark.  The race yesterday a week after a big mileage week gives me more confidence that it is feasible.

I Ain't Dead Yet!

I am sorry - I can not remember - Did we meet at FANS this year?  I was there for 20 hours - Having fun for the 1st part and then counted 1-8pm short laps and then the outward aide station from midnight to 7 am .  Then short laps again from 7-8am. 

Not formally but I saw you while I was running w/ my brother. He's Tom Sullivan, built like a linebacker instead of a runner.  I was down there after the Mpls expo from ~2:00 - 7:00 pm.  Tom pointed you out at one point as we did a lap and waved to you. 

DoppleBock

I remember tom - Both years 2010 and 2011 - I was curious this year - He seemed to be moving really fast at times late in the race - I was not sure if he took some time off or just paced conservative or just decided to go get 100+

Its hard not to notice Tom amoungst all the skinnies. 

Not formally but I saw you while I was running w/ my brother. He's Tom Sullivan, built like a linebacker instead of a runner.  I was down there after the Mpls expo from ~2:00 - 7:00 pm.  Tom pointed you out at one point as we did a lap and waved to you. 

I Ain't Dead Yet!

I remember tom - Both years 2010 and 2011 - I was curious this year - He seemed to be moving really fast at times late in the race - I was not sure if he took some time off or just paced conservative or just decided to go get 100+

Its hard not to notice Tom amoungst all the skinnies. 

Yeah, he had a clear goal of cracking 100 miles this year.  Probably ran a tad faster late in the race, but he did take full meal breaks and stopped for a massage in the evening.  I think he decided to forgo the quarters at the end after he broke 100.  We were talking about eating on the run for next year rather than taking time for a full sit-down type of meal.  I'll PM you soon to get some tips as I begin to contemplate it for 2012. 

Impact& sport adventurer

I'm in for sub-3hr at NYC Nov 6th. Been triathloning it since my first marathon in 2008 (did 3:13), so will see how more focused running training goes. I (sadly) ran 3:52 in Ironman Hawaii last year. Any ultra-distance triathletes who have shifted more focus to running and gone sub-3hr?Advice please...

PBs: 1 mile - 4:59 (2008) 5k - 17:34 (2011) 10k - 37:40 (2011 in Blenheim Half), 21k - 1:21:32 (2011 Blenheim) 42.2k - 2:59:24 (NYC 2011), Ironman - 10:28:43 (2010 Hawaii)

2011 Goals: Olympic Tri - 2h05min (2h09min), 5k: 17:30 (17:34) 10k: 37:00 (did not attempt), 21km: 1:21:00 (1:21:32), 42.2: 2:59:59 (2:59:24)

DoppleBock

Its dead around here ... hello ... hello

We are in the throngs of summer training - the foundation for a great fall marathon - How is everyone's training going?

Its dead around here ... hello ... hello

We are in the throngs of summer training - the foundation for a great fall marathon - How is everyone's training going?

To early in my comeback, to even consider another sub 3 attempt. At this point, I'll be happy when the long runs start clicking again.

I have started another silly streak, 21 days.

Get off my porch