"I did a marathon cold. It was easy." (Read 1578 times)

Eavesdropping in the local coffee shop and heard this girl bragging this to her friend. Apparently she ran it cold because a colleague had an extra entry. Apparently she kept on going after the colleague crashed. I had to restrain myself from throwing my 2 pump vanilla, non-fat, extra hot, with the slightest shake of cinnamon, latte on her.

Hoodoo Guru

Was if a full marathon, a half-marathon or one of those "10 K Marathons?"

The tangents are moot.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Yeah...reminds me of a FitTV show I've seen twice now that irritated me. It is called "Fitness Fantasy," or something like that - a person trains hard, eats well, etc. to try to meet a very defined fitness goal. One show was about a woman with asthma who wanted to do her first 5K. Throughout the show, they kept interchanging the words "race," "marathon" and "5K." People were wishing her luck on her upcoming "marathon race." They aren't the same thing. (btw-she did finish her 5K at the end of the show, with only a little walking and some problems with asthma, which was great)

TRUST THE PROCESS

A number of years ago 10 of us that were in the Army at Ft Devens, MA and all were runners sent a letter to the BAA and asked for numbers and official entries to the 88th Boston Marathon (even though none of us had qualified - we billed ourselves to the BAA as a US Army running team - Ft Devens).....WE GOT THEM... So on Marathon day, the Army post gave us a bus and a driver to drop us off in Hopkington and to pick us up in Boston...so that we would have transportation both ways....THIS IS TRUE --- one of my frieds came along - he was in good shape but never ran more than 3 or 4 miles a day ever other day or so.....but came to give us moral support and to meet us in Boston and help us find our bus. In Hopkinton before the race started, he got so fired up that he decided to run as a bandit runner...(he had brought his running shoes just in case).......And he did it....not very fast...think it took him around 5 1/2 hrs..but he finished it.......He didnt say it was easy, but I was there - and it really happened.......He ran the Boston Marathon cold......

Champions are made when no one is watching

ultramarathon/triathlete

Did she happen to mention she did it in just under seven hours Wink

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

"like omg it was sooo easy. did I every tell you I have a pet Unicorn too." hehehehehhee Just what ever you do SAVE THE Latte!!!!!!!! how funny!
              xor

She perhaps stole that joke from the show How I Met Your Mother. Or not. I know people who have run marathons with little/no training. Including some who ran their races faster than I did. Oh well. 100% of the people I know who did this felt like crap afterwards, for many many many days afterwards. I feel pretty normal in a few hours. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

It isn't anything to brag about. My second marathon was on 9 weeks training, total. Not enough. It hurt. My fifth marathon did not involve any runs over 4 miles until a month before the race. (It was the first time that I ran Boston.) That one hurt even more. I can't say never again, but my last half dozen marathons or so I've actually trained for them and have been so pleasant that I felt as though I was finishing a random long run. That's much more preferable.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

-- double post --

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

....kept interchanging the words "race," "marathon" and "5K."
                      My mother does that, but she uses marathon to describe any race I have run. One of my cousins who is an avid runner. He has run Boston I believe. The father of this cousin somehow got the word I was running all these marathons. All I can figure is he got this from my mom. I had not even attempted one at the time and I'm definitely far from Boston qualifying.

Vim

Imminent Catastrophe

Aside: My wife's great aunt, who has slight dementia, always calls our races levees for some reason. "How was your levee?". The only time that made any sense was the Mardi Gras Marathon.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just had a woman today ask me "what kind" of marathon I would be running in Oct. when I told her I was training for one. I kind of smirked when I told her the 26.2 mile kind. Then she chuckled and said, "only 26.2 miles, huh?" Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Eavesdropping in the local coffee shop and heard this girl bragging this to her friend. Apparently she ran it cold because a colleague had an extra entry. Apparently she kept on going after the colleague crashed.
                            It's possible. Reportedly, a friend of my husband's ran NYC this way a few times in his early 20's. The part of the story I really don't believe is that she actually felt that it was "easy."
                              I just had a woman today ask me "what kind" of marathon I would be running in Oct. when I told her I was training for one. I kind of smirked when I told her the 26.2 mile kind. Then she chuckled and said, "only 26.2 miles, huh?" Big grin
                              This is funny - and specifically the reason that I never talk about running at the office (except to one guy that also runs).......

Champions are made when no one is watching

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

She perhaps stole that joke from the show How I Met Your Mother. Or not. I know people who have run marathons with little/no training. Including some who ran their races faster than I did. Oh well. 100% of the people I know who did this felt like crap afterwards, for many many many days afterwards. I feel pretty normal in a few hours. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.
                                I have a co-worker who pisses me off at his ability to do things cold--some people have that skill. Went from not running at all to doing a 10 mile race cold--and finishing in a respectable time. He's thinking about entering the half I've been training 9 months for (and will still barely get through) and will do it cold--and likely beat me. He's also 5 years younger, and his body will quit at some point. I just hope I get to see him the day after it does. Evil grin Modified to fix awful grammar.

Chris
                                PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k