Pit Bull confrontation... (Read 1239 times)

JakeKnight

Pennywise is just misunderstood. And Tim Curry is a genius.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

obsessor

IMHO I think we should kill all the clowns,creepy bastards Wink Clowning around Tongue
      I do agree that clowns are creepy. Maybe it's the mask/hidden/fake smile or fake tear thing. Let's put it htis way, I would not let a clown babysit my children. They seem creepy like that. Maybe we are clown-racists. I think we need a clown here to tell us they are born that way, or have clown rights, or maybe there is a clown-union or something. What kind of dogs do clowns have? Those should be Annihilated, too.
      JakeKnight

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Pennywise is just misunderstood. And Tim Curry is a genius.
          If by misunderstood, you mean, "he's even worse than people give him credit for", then I'm with you. And yes, Curry is a genius.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

obsessor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clowns_of_America_International
            "...as well as maintaining a strict code of ethics. In addition to the cooperative nature of the group and its annual conventions, it also provides several scholarship opportunities to young men and women." holy shiites, that really is scary. That they need to have a code of ethics (clown ethics...), and that they are trying to lure in the young men and women. (I knew it!) What's scarier is that they are right around the bend from me. I hope that is all just a bi g joke.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Clowns and spiders...I can't even read "It." The most aggressive dogs I have ever been around seem to be Cocker Spaniels. I grew up with a stupid (but gentle) Springer...hard to believe Springers and Cockers are so closely related. Our next door neighbor has a GSD. Most gentle, fraidy-cat dog I have ever seen. Seneca's afraid of his own shadow. I think our neighbor lady (an older widow) got him as sort of a "guard" dog, but he only *looks* tough.
              My parents had to put down their Cocker Spaniel because he got so mean. It was really sad, but he just got out of control. Obedience training didn't help at all.

Half Fanatic #846

Well, geez - I didn't realize my original post would provoke such a wide range of responses Surprised (JK - you are a riot!) Let me retake this thread for a minute... I have two dogs and they are my "best buddies" - one is a larger dog, and the other is a miniature schnauzer. Sorry, no clowns though. And I've petted pit bulls, dobies, labs, and german sheperds I've met while running, although some I weren't too sure about being friendly - some scared me. I think one of the problems in this kind of controversial issue is that people can only base their opinions on their own personal experiences, ie: most people have never been attacked by a dog, and may have difficulty understanding the attitude that a dog bite victim might aquire as a result. Plus, I think (hope) that most people who make threatening or violent statements about killing or injuring animals don't or wouldn't follow up (unless it's a rare case where it's necessary) Roll eyes As far as I know, pit bulls were originally bred solely for the purpose of fighting (and still are, but perhaps to a lesser degree). To believe they can easily be bred now as family pets is probably quite a stretch. Unfortunately, "there's a reason for the rep". Hypothetically, so what if 9 out of 10 of a certain breed are "good" dogs? 10% risk is pretty high risk, IMO. My intent was to share my story in the hope it will help someone be able to turn a potentially harmful encounter into a safe experience, and judging from the responses, I think it will. Carry on , folks!! Smile Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Running on the ocean

I think this is him! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KXOnhIhqWM
                  Ahhh that was hilarious. Thanks for the laugh! I needed that...

You know when you're running a ultra marathon because the pain actually starts to hurt
                  -- Jakob Herrmann
                  my running achievements

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Well, geez - I didn't realize my original post would provoke such a wide range of responses Surprised (JK - you are a riot!) Let me retake this thread for a minute... As far as I know, pit bulls were originally bred solely for the purpose of fighting (and still are, but perhaps to a lesser degree). To believe they can easily be bred now as family pets is probably quite a stretch. Unfortunately, "there's a reason for the rep". Hypothetically, so what if 9 out of 10 of a certain breed are "good" dogs? 10% risk is pretty high risk, IMO. Carry on , folks!! Smile Bill
                    They were bred as herding dogs originally and are no more prone to attack than any other breed. Decent but short article from the Seattle Times http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/living/2002810196_pitbullside19.html Like virtually all herding dogs, they do, in fact, make great family pets. Not to soap box about them, but they're a super cool breed IMHO that gets an undeserved bad rap. They are VERY STRONG so when they do attack, things generally go horribly wrong and get widespread attention. As a side note, all but 2 of Michael Vic's dogs were rehabbed. One was put down because it was sick and only one put down due to temperment issues - and these dogs were trained to fight.

Double IPA Please!

As far as I know, pit bulls were originally bred solely for the purpose of fighting (and still are, but perhaps to a lesser degree). To believe they can easily be bred now as family pets is probably quite a stretch. Unfortunately, "there's a reason for the rep". Hypothetically, so what if 9 out of 10 of a certain breed are "good" dogs? 10% risk is pretty high risk, IMO. Carry on , folks!! Smile Bill
                      First off, did ya'll know that Petey from the Little Rascals was a Pit Bull Terrier? Big grin "The American Pit Bull Terrier and its AKC cousins had a well- deserved reputation as a loyal and trustworthy family pet in the early years of this century, but of late has been severely castigated as a vicious, man-killing beast, worthy of banishment from the cities, considered guilty with no chance of proving innocence in any case. "Pit bull" is a generic and derogatory term that encompasses any of several breeds of dogs or crosses on those breeds. Pit Bull fanciers can be divided into several camps: conscientious breeders of the AKC-registered duo who often deny kinship of their dogs with the APBT; ethical breeders of the APBT who face squarely the slander heaped upon them by ignorant neighbors; and unethical breeders of all three breeds who still indulge in dog fighting or promote aggressive temperaments for illegal purposes. Dog fighting rings still exist--it's only been a few years since a ring with national ties was busted in New Richmond and Blanchester, Ohio--and inner city drug dealers often use the dogs to guard their drug supplies and cash. To further complicate matters, those who still breed for fighting are not as careful to preserve the dog's strong instinct to bond with humans as the early breeders did. So, today "pit bull" is a pejorative term that strikes fear in the hearts of many and leads to the spreading of urban legends about dogs with locking jaws that exert 20 thousand pounds of pressure, unstable breed temperament, and overwhelming human aggression. In fact, the well-bred American Pit Bull Terrier is a family guardian and protector; an intelligent and obedient pet; a sweet, even-tempered dog that serves well as a help-mate to handicapped owner and friend to small children; and a healthy, hardy dog that complains little and offers much to his family." -Norma Bennett Woolf The end..I'll bow out now. Big grin Big grin

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is in my neck of the woods. Perhaps they need a trombonist/tromboner (heh). Maybe Jeffgoblue should consider auditioning. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

First off, did ya'll know that Petey from the Little Rascals was a Pit Bull Terrier? Big grin
                          I think Spuds MacKenzie, was, too...and he was all about the love. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think Spuds MacKenzie, was, too...and he was all about the love. Big grin
                            Heh...googled...he was a Bull Terrier, not a Pit Bull Terrier.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This is in my neck of the woods. Perhaps they need a trombonist/tromboner (heh). Maybe Jeffgoblue should consider auditioning. Evil grin
                              I've seen them before. Those clowns have chops -- they are excellent. But also terrifying -- I can't imagine being around that many clowns at once, esp. ones wielding musical instruments.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Those clowns have chops -- they are excellent.
                                Clowns and excellent...not 2 words that belong in the same sentence.

~ Sarah Kay