shoe mileage - mainly used on treadmill (Read 723 times)

Given my size and weight along with my problems with shin splints I was planning to limit my shoes to 250-300 miles and then making them walkers only. I've got a pair that I have used primarily on the treadmill. I have noticed less stress on my legs from the treadmill miles and I can only assume that there is less pounding on the shoe itself. It seems to me like that pair should be able to handle 100 road miles and 300-400 treadmill miles. If I notice problems sooner I'll stop using them of course but does this seem common to other people for treadmill running? (ie that shoes last longer). Thanks for considering.

It's logical. Although some treadmills have a softer surface than others. I'm of similar size to you (change my shoes at 300-325mi) and my #1 concern is always injury prevention. To me, the extra 50 miles of so on a pair of shoes is not worth is. It reality what are we talking for those extra 50 miles? $10? $15? To me, that's not worth the risk.
      mikeymike

When I know I'm going to be running on a treadmill like if I'm travelling and will be running at a hotel, I usually bring racing flats with me. If I owned a treadmill I'd probably wear the same racing flats on it every day for a thousand miles or until they fell off. But then I have a pair of Asics speedstars with way over 500 miles on them and another pair with 28 miles on them and I don't notice that much difference. I have a pair of Nike Haywards with almost 700 miles on them and although they stink to high heaven they're okay too. To me, shoe mileage is the big bogeyman in the closet. Get's a bad rap. But, YMMV.

Runners run

DoppleBock

There are 2 reasons to ditch shoes - 1 because the tread is wearing out and 2 because the cushioning is breaking down. Unless you have a funky stride - The tread should not limit most people. Although you may need less cushioning on the TM, I do not believe how quickly the cushioning breaks down is not less on the treadmill. It breaks down faster if your shoes are worn before they completely dry out. You will get the best shoe life if you have enough pair to let one dry out before wearing again. I sweat a lot, so I rotate 4 pair. I personally do not see a lot longer life on the TM than roads. I toss them @ 500 miles either way. (I am 6'3 and 205#) For awhile I was stretching shoes to 700 miles, but I thought "Why mess around with my feet" Racing Flats are a whole other story - at @ 400-500 miles the tread starts to wear out.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !