OWN Oprah and Lance-spoilers (Read 328 times)

Feeling the growl again

Clearly a complicated athlete and person.

How much credit do we give Lance for the Livestrong Foundation's $470MM contribution to cancer research? 

Except that the Foundations doesn't give ANY money to research, and hasn't in many years.  Most of it is spend on "awareness".

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Except that the Foundations doesn't give ANY money to research, and hasn't in many years.  Most of it is spend on "awareness".

Not "awareness" so much as support to survivors and people in cancer recovery, ie the name of the charity.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

Not "awareness" so much as support to survivors and people in cancer recovery, ie the name of the charity.

Starting about page 7, a breakdown of Livestrong's expenses.  The bulk of the money goes to PR, marketing, and advertising.  Not a whole lot goes to programs that actually support patients or their families.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Starting about page 7, a breakdown of Livestrong's expenses.  The bulk of the money goes to PR, marketing, and advertising.  Not a whole lot goes to programs that actually support patients or their families.

I can't stand that about a lot of charities in modern times.  It seems more acceptable in modern times for a HUGE amount of the money coming into many big charities goes toward "Administrative Costs" and the like, with little making it out the other end to the very folks the charity claims to support.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

What the hell is cancer awareness anyway? Who the hell isn't aware of cancer?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Its called lying.

Lance doesn't lie! How dare you insinuate that?! His lawyers will be in touch shortly.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I must be missing something.  Using the article you linked to it states "a surprising $4.2 million of that went straight to advertising, including large expenditures for banner ads and optimal search-engine placement" which represents 5% of total revenue.  That seems reasonable to me and I don't know how you could conclude it represents a bulk of the money.

Your own article also states "Now AIP [American Institute of Philanthropy] gives Livestrong an A-minus, while Charity Navigator rates it three stars out of four."

Are you saying Livestrong is not a worthwhile endeavor?  I would find that hard to believe.  Nice work at misdirecting though.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

So?  LiveStrong is a lobbying organization.  PR and marketing are its core mission and it has been highly effective.  We say "who isn't aware of cancer?" but the question should be how do we prioritize cancer as a health issue, how do we deal with people who have been affected by cancer?  For-profit companies spend lots of money on PR and marketing for a reason: it works.  In this case, it helps influence where charitable dollars are directed, it influences where governments spend their health-care dollars, and it influences the public perception of cancer victims.

I understand that Lance is an incredibly polarizing figure and that his detractors hate everything he touches and I cannot say that he does not deserve the backlash that he is enduring.  But the LiveStrong foundation has been an unqualified success, even if it was LA's idea.      

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I must be missing something.  Using the article you linked to it states "a surprising $4.2 million of that went straight to advertising, including large expenditures for banner ads and optimal search-engine placement" which represents 5% of total revenue.  That seems reasonable to me and I don't know how you could conclude it represents a bulk of the money.

Your own article also states "Now AIP [American Institute of Philanthropy] gives Livestrong an A-minus, while Charity Navigator rates it three stars out of four."

Are you saying Livestrong is not a worthwhile endeavor?  I would find that hard to believe.  Nice work at misdirecting though.

The article also says they spent $1.8 million on legal fees - the example given was suing some guy for trademark infringement.

It also says they spent $6 million on throwing a big summit in Dublin in Aug 2009.

It also says they spent $3.5million on merchandise giveaways - presumably giving out lots of LIVESTRONG bands?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Of course you're missing the fact that Lance is a jerk and therefore LiveStrong sucks (and Sheryl Crow was a member of MilliVanilli).

HermosaBoy

I'm telling you that LA's VO2 is average among elite endurance athletes. Better than me (and possibly you), but certainly nothing astounding or "freaky".

elite endurance athlete =/= freaky?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Feeling the growl again

You're right, you did miss something.  Several of them.  But given the attitude, you can figure it out on your own.  Roll eyes

Of course you're missing the fact that Lance is a jerk and therefore LiveStrong sucks (and Sheryl Crow was a member of MilliVanilli).

--- What, Sheryl Crow was in Milli Vanilli?

Approve

Here is a question on a different tangent:  Will Livestrong continue to be a major charity in the post-lance admission era?  Or will they fade away over time, tarnished by their founder's many flaws?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25