Advice on adopting a rescue/fostered dog (Read 230 times)

Village people

I have been looking on that petfinder site. They ask a lot and I can understand why, but I don't think I would be allowed to adopt another dog. We rescued our first dog from a woman who was out of the rescue business but couldn't say no to a dog in need. I think she was a bit desperate. I had/have young kids, the youngest was four months old at the time. The dog, Lexi, had been mistreated. I think. She did not like her ears touched and she has the silkiest ears. She is a barker and having a big strange dog bark at you is a bit unnerving. It took some time for her to adjust and for the kids to adjust, too. Lexi wasn't our first dog, but my kids had missed our old dog in his prime. We took her to an obedience class to help her feel secure and brush up on some commands. i think that helped.

Here she is before we brought her home. She is a big baby.

Gator eye

IMHO- Buy your first dog from a Good Breeder. If you have never handled dogs before getting one with problems already hard wired into it's personality might be to much to deal with for your first dog.. Get a good pup from a good breeder, read training books, ask a bunch of questions and you'll end up with a best friend. Getting a pound or rescue dog sounds all good and care bear hugs but can turn into a big pain in the ass, most likely you are getting a dog someone else couldn't handle and those problems are still there.

Menace to Sobriety

We've adopted 4 GSD rescues over the last 25 years. All of them turned out to be great dogs. Every rescue org that we've dealt with fosters the animal for some significant length of time before adopting them out. They have always had a pretty accurate assessment of the dog's level of training, medical conditions, approximate age and most importantly, attitude, towards kids, cats, other dogs, etc. There are no garauntees, but our experience has been great.  At least you'll have some clue, with a pup from a breeder, it really is a crap shoot.

Not all rescues come from distressed pasts. Many have been well cared for, but the owner's situation has changed in some way that forces them to have to give them up. Quite a few adult rescues are dogs that have been abandoned by breeders once they've outlived their usefulness, then left at kill shelters, or worse. Not condemning all breeders, but there are plenty of bad ones out there.

Initially, we went through a fairly long process, had to provide vet references, meet at the foster's place to see the dog and see how we interact.  Sometimes these animals live with their foster family for a very long time and both develop a bond, but nothing is harder on a foster person than having a dog come back. They want make every effort to make sure the adoption is permanent. People getting a dog on a whim is how most of them wound up as rescues in the first place.

Not trying to sound harsh, but if you're not ready for a few hours of inconvience and scrutiny, you're not ready for dog. They get sick, they throw up, sometimes they pee or poop on the floor, they occasionally chew stuff, sometimes they bark or cry at night,  they shed, etc.  Get a goldfish instead. If you think you're up to it, I'd recommend getting an adult dog. Puppies require a lot of time and attention, and unless you're prepared to give near 24/7 attention for some fairly long period to time(6 months or more, depending on breed), don't, especially if this is your first dog. It's not fair to the dog.

YMMV, but our experiences have been very satisfying and rewarding. Our current dog is a rescue, 80 lb male GSD, gets along with my daugther's dog, our cats, has never, in the  8 years we've had him, had an accident in the house. He would kill or die to protect us, but is a pussycat with our family and pets.

Good luck, and I hope it works out.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyway, I don't mean to discourage you--I love dogs incredibly much and can't say enough about what they can bring to your life.  But man, they are a huge commitment, and often in ways that you can never foresee.  I wish you all the best in making your decision, and I wish you years of happiness w/your hound if you do decide to go ahead w/this!

Substitute "kids" for "dogs"...pretty much the same deal.  I never understand when people don't consider their pets family members.  I think these are the ones who will give up their pets at the slightest inconvenience (like my MIL's asshole BF...loathe that guy for many reasons, but that was the icing on the cake).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AnneCA

I've adopted three dogs, two from breed-specific rescue groups and one from a non-specific rescue.  In my experience, the rescue folks very much want to make sure the dog stays I with the adoptive family ... hence the pickiness.  And maybe I'm picky too, but yes:

+ I drove as much as 75 minutes each way (once in a raging thunderstorm, too!) with my family and our current dog to meet the potential new family member;

+ I met several dogs that just didn't click;

+ the rescue and foster folks wouldn't offer their time if they weren't prepared to do the whole meet-n-greet and have you walk away.  In more than one instance, the rescue staff was first to suggest incompatibility.

Really helpful, thanks.  I have been concerned that the fosters, who so far have all been very eager to have us come meet the dogs as soon as possible, warning that others are interested in them as well, would be surprised/put out by us putting in a pretty big all-family time commitment and then walking away.   Reassuring to hear I shouldn't be concerned about that.

kcam

This article lays out some clear guidelines on selecting a rescue dog.  Worth going over before you bring home a problem dog.

http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/adopting-a-dog-some-dogs-are-easier-than-others

OP, I know you'd said your time is limited, but one option you could consider is volunteering at a nearby shelter.  You would have the opportunity to interact with a large volume of dogs as well as with knowledgeable staff and other volunteers eager to make a good match.

This is how we ended up with our third (and, to be honest, best!) dog...I had been volunteering at our county shelter for six months, with no intentions whatsoever of bringing another dog into the household, but had been working on leash manners and basic obedience with a stray pitbull (NOT at all the kind of dog I would have gone seeking and certainly not one that I immediately 'clicked' with; he is a mega drooler, and the first time I took him in the yard he about knocked me down running like a total maniac)...he ended up being put on the euth list through no fault of his own-they were low on space and his being a 4-year-old black pitbull were three strikes against him...I couldn't let it happen-I'd spent all kinds of time with him, walking, bathing, picking tapeworms off his butt, networking him on FB to no avail...we did a meet-n-greet with our two senior dogs, it went well, he was neutered and came home...he is a 65lb lovebug wigglebutt (he makes new friends, human and canine, everywhere he goes)...he passed basic obedience and we hope to do Canine Good Citizen with him once we're able to tone down the 'rooby, rooby, roo' vocalizing he does when he's excited Smile Not a day goes by that we aren't happy he's part of our family!

Jennifer Bonaskiewich

Had I not been a volunteer, I would have passed right by his kennel Undecided thinking he was too much of a nutjob Shocked

I haven't had any experiences adopting from private rescue groups but I am friends with a girl who runs one and know that the reason she is a stickler for applications, meet-n-greets, and home visits is only because she wants the match to be perfect from both sides.  Rescuers get very attached to the animals in their care and just want the best for everyone involved.

AnneCA

Thanks for that link, Ken – interesting article, and I’ve passed it on to my husband as well.

Not trying to sound harsh, but if you're not ready for a few hours of inconvience and scrutiny, you're not ready for dog. They get sick, they throw up, sometimes they pee or poop on the floor, they occasionally chew stuff, sometimes they bark or cry at night,  they shed, etc.  Get a goldfish instead. If you think you're up to it, I'd recommend getting an adult dog. Puppies require a lot of time and attention, and unless you're prepared to give near 24/7 attention for some fairly long period to time(6 months or more, depending on breed), don't, especially if this is your first dog. It's not fair to the dog.

See, this is kind of what I’m worried about.  Say we all go see a dog, but we’re just not getting a good vibe, there’s no click.  Thanks for your time, we walk away.  A couple weeks later, that same rescue org lists another dog that could be perfect for us.  When we contact them, will they say to themselves:  “Anne?  Screw her, she didn’t like Rocky.  Doesn’t she understand that every dog will take some time and effort?  Bitch can go get a goldfish if she wants a pet.”   I want to be allowed to be picky about a dog without being branded as someone who doesn’t understand the effort involved.  Nothing to do but take my chances on that, I guess.

Pony, I would love to volunteer.  We've fostered kittens, and loved that.  Some of the rescue orgs I've contacted have offered us the opportunity to foster, but, really, as dog-inexperienced people, I have my reservations.  I can teach an undersocialized kitten that people are awesome, but don't know about dogs.  Plus, you're right that a shelter environment would be better to meet more dogs. 

Menace to Sobriety

See, this is kind of what I’m worried about.  Say we all go see a dog, but we’re just not getting a good vibe, there’s no click.  Thanks for your time, we walk away.  A couple weeks later, that same rescue org lists another dog that could be perfect for us.  When we contact them, will they say to themselves:  “Anne?  Screw her, she didn’t like Rocky.  Doesn’t she understand that every dog will take some time and effort?  Bitch can go get a goldfish if she wants a pet.”   I want to be allowed to be picky about a dog without being branded as someone who doesn’t understand the effort involved.  Nothing to do but take my chances on that, I guess.

This has not been my experience. The foster homes we've dealt with really want the best for the dog and want the adoption to stick. They also understand dogs and owners and compatibilty. They know sometimes good people may not match up with a certain dog.  The last thing they want to do is place the wrong dog with the wrong family.  I don't think a qualified foster would hold not having a connection with a particular animal against you. I'd be wary of anyone that tried to pressure or fast track you into an adoption.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

See, this is kind of what I’m worried about.  Say we all go see a dog, but we’re just not getting a good vibe, there’s no click.  Thanks for your time, we walk away.  A couple weeks later, that same rescue org lists another dog that could be perfect for us.  When we contact them, will they say to themselves:  “Anne?  Screw her, she didn’t like Rocky.  Doesn’t she understand that every dog will take some time and effort?  Bitch can go get a goldfish if she wants a pet.”   I want to be allowed to be picky about a dog without being branded as someone who doesn’t understand the effort involved.  Nothing to do but take my chances on that, I guess.

If you'd shot down the first dog because it had "dog breath" or because its claws weren't all the same color or something similar, then I could see the foster staff thinking that.  But (as an example) a first-time dog owner expressing reservations about a somewhat strong-willed dog isn't going to piss off anyone; in fact, it will help the rescue identify better-suited candidates for you.

I've had very positive experiences articulating WHY I wanted a dog (one rescue asked before I'd taken the conversation there).  Is it to fill in The American Family portrait, to be a companion for someone (who?), to "teach the kids responsibility" (red flag!), ...  As someone else posted, think about your stance/tolerance re: barking, slobber, shedding, walks/runs.  Letting the rescue know these things can help them rule out dogs that wouldn't be a good fit.  They may even put you in touch with another rescue with a dog that sounds like a good initial match (had that happen, too).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

The Mc

I am on my fourth rescue dog.  The first two were adopted from a shelter in NH (A Malamute/German Shepherd mix adopted as an adult and a Border Collie/lab mix adopted as a puppy).  Both were great dogs.  The Malamute was the first dog I ever had, and he was wonderfully sweet.  He had some food bowl aggression issues, as he was a stray that had been eluding town officials, they told me, for over a year.  So, he was super malnourished so it is understandable.  The shelter was great in terms of working with him prior to adoption and also working with me on how to continue to work.  Best dog ever, unfortunately he passed in 2008.  The BC/Lab was also a great dog.

My most recent two have been rescues from the dirty south.  The were bused up to NY state from Tenn.  A BC mix and a Lab mix.  Again, two great dogs, but we did get them as puppies so we have been able to work with them right from the beginning.

Papa don't take no mess.

AnneCA

Well, we met our first dog today, and it was very educational.

She was a sweetie, and checked a lot of boxes:  young but not a puppy, medium sized, calmed down really quickly, smart, energetic but not one who needs lots of exercise every day or she'll tear your house apart dog (according to her foster), housebroken like you wouldn't believe (again according to the foster, who says her ability to hold it is impressive).  Plus, I mean, look at that face, right?  But, also pretty shy.  Happy enough to greet us, and went on a walk fine with just us.  But visibly nervous around people on the street and dogs barking in yards.  She didn't growl or freeze or anything, she just . . . gave a really wide berth.  And she sped it up horse-to-barn style when she could tell we were heading back to the foster.  The foster spun it as "yeah, she gets a bit of separation anxiety, but she gets really attached to her people, and once she learns the routine, she's good."  I bet that's true, but . . . I guess I want a dog who's a bit more outgoing by nature.

And, contrary to my fears, I was totally fine walking away.  My kids hate me, LOL, but what else is new.  Thanks much for the advice. I'm sure our dog is out there!

Menace to Sobriety

Sounds like a great start!

Not dead. Yet.

Why don't you just go to the pound and pick one out?  It seems a lot easier and less pressure than making appointments to meet one dog. You can see their personalities right away.  They will let you go in with the dogs, and sometimes bring them out in a grassed area to meet.  I got a perfect little puppy that way.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

NHLA

DD works at humane society in Asheville NC.  If you want a pit, or beagle there are always plenty to choose from.

They do get some pure breads but they go fast and cost more. The money is for the shelter so don't sweat it.

Lots of these dogs have been abused and are messed up but some have scares all over their body and are sweet as hell.

I wish you were closer so she could help. You can only tell so much with first impressions but when you care for them you can tell much more. I like the idea someone posted of working at a shelter  .Sandy   rt click open new tab