Too much racing? (Read 1430 times)

pnklily84

So, how much is too much? I just started running (literally, could barely make it two minutes without needing a walk break) in late-July of 2008 after a 4 year hiatus from college athletics. I was sitting down with a list of races in the area for the upcoming months and couldn't help but wonder how many is too many? Especially for someone new to the running world. Is one race a month insane or doable? Obviously, I know this varies by person, but I am just curious what other newbies have done and felt comfortable with.
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

What length of races are you considering?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

The more the effort you put in to, the more recovery you should take. Effort is a combination of duration and speed. If you're running 4 miles for your "easy" day at about 9:30 pace, sometimes even sub-9, your long run of 1:30 at about 9:30 pace, sometimes faster even, and your 5k "race" at 9:20, I don't think you'd have to worry too much about limiting how many "races" you should participate. Enter as many as you want and enjoy them.
        xor

Shortest Nobby post ever Big grin. (I like your long ones too)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

(I like your long ones too)
            Big grin
            Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
              (Nobby) This one needed to be longer cause the short makes no sense and answers nothing. Undecided

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

(Nobby) This one needed to be longer cause the short makes no sense and answers nothing. Undecided
                Hey! I thouht I answered well! Evil grin I said; don't worry, run as many "races" as you want (to the OP). So people want my LONG post (though I'm sure most of you read only 1/3 of what I write...Wink). If you check OP's workout log and PR; it seems to me that she pretty much runs at the same effort. Sometimes she does her "easy" runs faster than her "race". Well, nothing wrong with that. Many people today, as we've gotten into this discussion elsewhere, participate "races" to socialize, have fun, feel good. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. To them, "races" are not the opportunity to see how hard you can run. To me, training means; you go far, you go fast, you go medium distance/duration at fairly hard effort, and then you throw recoveries in between... And THEN you put them all together and race--race, to me, means where you would push to run further and/or faster than you would do in "training". Training is a dress rehearsal. "Race" is the real thing. To many today, it is not. If what she means by "race" being things like a half marathon or a marathon, sure, she shoudn't try to do it every weekend or every other weekend. She would take a lot of pouding--like I said, effort is combination of duration/distance and speed. Even the effort/pace is not too hard, if you run far, you get some effect. So you should take it easy a bit to recover. But if you're "racing" a 5k at pretty much the same pace/effort as all the other runs, hey, why not? As long as you can afford to pay for the entry fee, it's a great place to meet people and have fun. Why limit it? This weekend, there will be Osaka Ladies marathon in Japan. Yoko Shibui, who finished 4th in Tokyo women's marathon in November, is running again. I'm very curious to see how she'd do. In 2003/2004, the defending Olympic marathon champion, Naoko Takahashi, hit the wall in Tokyo marathon in November and finished second and missed the Olympic team. After Tokyo, I wrote to her coach, Yoshio Koide, that she should try to run Osaka in January. Training is stress and recovery followed by improved fitness level. You do your last long run (maybe except for you, Srlopez! Wink) and your body goes, wow, I'd better get strong to handle this kind of stress. Then (hopefully) on the marathon day, you can handle such a stress much easier. Quite often, someone who screws up in the marathon comes back and run another one after 5~8 weeks, they actually, surprisingly, might do well. So...I just wrote to Shibui's coach, Watanabe, that she might actually do very well (for as much as confidence building purpose as well...). The trick, of course, is recovery after the first one. More often than not, from disappointment and frustration, they would go back and go straiht into hard training. Then you might get into a stress situation and that wouldn't be good. But if they recover well, without losing their fitness level, they might do well. If you race like that, yes, then recovery is quite important and you shouldn't race all over the place. Well, Srlopez, you can probably chip in on here; you race all over the place. I would put my foot in the mouth and say that, if you peak, you'd do considerably better. But, from my understanding, you get a kick out of racing a lot and that's what you do. Well, why not? You're probably so superbly fit that you can run a 3-hour marathon every weekend. I used to be fit enough to run 20-miler at sub-7 pace every weekend. If you're that fit and if you want to run marathons often, why not? There, is this long enough?Big grin

Member Since 2008

Danielle, Let me start off by thanking you and your husband for the sacrafices you have made for all of us and this country. As far as the races, alot of people run races just for the fun of it. In other words people incorporate them into their training schedule. Others race for the sake of competition. In order to properly answer your question, we would need to know what your intent is. Typically a fast 5K every other week is about my limit. Plus they can get expensive.....

Oh Mighty Wing

Nobby, thanks for the elaborated version!! Big grin MTA: To answer the question: I don't know. But my thoughts are that no one can answer that question but you, and you won't know till you try. My theory is to run/race till I break. Then i'll rebuild and make the necessary adjustments... Have fun pushing the limits!

Bugs

pnklily84, Welcome to the love of running and racing. In Dec. 2005 I started running, and by May-July 2006 I ran a short race about every two weeks. Then in August I ran a half, October a marathon. Every race I ran hard, but without pressure to hit a certain time, as a PR was always in the bag. I didn't even own a watch then, I just took it easy when I needed to run easy. (Honestly I think I was better off pre-garmin.) I think that will always be my favorite year of running. Have a great year. Nobby, We all treasure you here. Keep up the long posts. My seven year old must write a seven page typed paper for his black belt test, can you help? Wink

Bugs

Hey! I thouht I answered well! Evil grin I said; don't worry, run as many "races" as you want (to the OP). So people want my LONG post (though I'm sure most of you read only 1/3 of what I write...Wink).
                        Just to set the record straight here ==== Nobby your short answer was good.......BUT, I alway read you long answers... There are so many of us that dont really know, but give our opinions....you have been in the running world at a different level then most of us (surely me) and so I find your long post to be interesting and they normally come froma different diminsion......KEEP THEM COMING.....Ill read them......... Big grin Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

Bugs

We really Need "Nobby Appreciation Day" around here.

Bugs

Bugs

Shibui wins the Osaka Ladies Marathon. Nobby, you predicted very well. MTA: Dam that's fast.

Bugs

jules2

Where am I and what are those funny depressions on my forehead, oh its the same pattern as my keyboard I must have fallen asleep reading Nobby's post. Anyway my answer to the original question is assuming you are not doing marathons one a month is Ok as it will help you measure your progress. Also it will get you used to preparing for a race, pacing etc which will come in useful later.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

A rule of thumb is a dumb thing as everyone is different and there are many variables. So, having said that, if you want a guideline and like numbers then here is a dumb rule of thumb... Smile give yourself x days to recover between races where x = the distance of the last race in km. So a 5k every week? Sure. A 10k every 2 weeks? sure. 3-4 weeks between half-marathons? Sure. But just know you may not get your best performance if you bunch them up too much as you'll be spending a lot of time recovering and not really training for a peak performance.