ultimate runner's test...... (Read 4097 times)

Scout7

This sounds like Richard_. At least Hefty provides links.
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Isn't this the same cat who thinks we should all walk on the treadmill?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Isn't this the same cat who thinks we should all walk on the treadmill?
        Would that be the silly treadmill on wheels? http://www.burbia.com/node/2113

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

jeffdonahue

Would that be the silly treadmill on wheels? http://www.burbia.com/node/2113
          Wow, I want one. Big grin I wonder what kind of speeds it gets up to - I mean assuming that it somehow converts your energy from running on the treadmill into some greater energy and allows you to travel faster than actually running, otherwise why not just run. Plus, where are the brakes and hills must SUCK on that thing - I have enough trouble trying to get just my own body weight up hills, never mind a machine that looks rather hefty. I could definitely see the applications here though - how about plopping a stationary bike up on that thing too?

A Saucy Wench

Wow, I want one. Big grin I wonder what kind of speeds it gets up to - I mean assuming that it somehow converts your energy from running on the treadmill into some greater energy and allows you to travel faster than actually running, otherwise why not just run. Plus, where are the brakes and hills must SUCK on that thing - I have enough trouble trying to get just my own body weight up hills, never mind a machine that looks rather hefty. I could definitely see the applications here though - how about plopping a stationary bike up on that thing too?
            I just wonder where you find the nice wide smooth paths for it. Some days I can barely squeeze my body between the parked cars and the traffic. Or the cars parked across the sidewalk and the curb.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Not tracks, toilets...
              Alas, in my experience this wasn't in fact true. I was soooo disappointed.

xor

This sounds like Richard_. At least Hefty provides links.
                No, my money's on the not-Richard line. This is Always Walk On the Treadmill guy.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Ok, so here’s my story, I’ve been in sports research for 17 years. Up to and including having my research supervised by the top people in the world of sports. I’m also a world record holder in one of my sports, as well as taught others to set a world record in their sport. As to running, why? I’ve been documented to walk at 9.5MPH. Running isn’t only a pastime, it’s the number two sport in America for emergency room visits to a hospital (basketball is number one). Do you take that part of your sport seriously? Like anyone who asks questions nobody few can answer, the jokers will only prove how little they know. Jokes hide ignorance. Four pages long a thread and only two people had it in them to risk answering questions? I thought this was a running forum, not a site for pathetic comedy… If you’re on this for ego, then fine, but I ask that if jokes are more important than running without injury, then there are plenty of comedy forums to write on… And sadly, it proved my point that only a rare few are interested in learning… L_Master, sounds as if you’ve done some running reading in your past. So my question to you is to who’s interest your sources are interested in protecting? Yours or theirs? Humans power themselves from the hips to run, which means its movement starts the pullback of the femur to develop maximum power from the quadriceps. Stabilizing the hip with “stability” training” slows down that process. Humans are naturally stronger on one side of their body than the other, known as side dominance. Unequal strength means unequal movement. Stabilizing the “core” is better accomplished with equalizing side strength equality than with exercises which sound good on paper, but don’t address what causes instability in the first place. Orthotic inserts are like the check engine light in your car. Inserts will eliminate the pain, but not solve the issue which created it in the first place. There is a lot of research which proves that orthotic wearers are prone to much more severe injury from wearing them. And that’s what makes humans so unique, no two humans look the same, walk the same, or run the same, so what you read in print will work for only a small percentage of its readers. It also doesn’t help that the “best” running coaches in print can’t substantiate their advice in clinical trials. The best coaches will only teach you to run slower, not faster… And with track events, the vast majority of humans are right handed, so your stronger leg will push you toward your weaker side. With track, the stronger side is compensated with allowing a left side tracking. Its called forward drift. How well you can visually compensate for that motion, decreases the distance you naturally travel. A marathon runner usually runs about 32-36 miles when drift is factored into measuring their running efficiency. Squeaky; No, you’re no sucker, I applaud you for risking yourself to take a stab at the questions. Well done. Yes your weakest leg determines your top pace and speed. So how does your stronger leg compensate for that fact? How does that factor into ACL tears? Women have wider hips, but their femurs aren’t on the sides of the hips as with males, they protrude backwards from the hips. It allows more room for the femur to extend forward underneath a developing child. So how does that fact alter your natural balance skills? As to the Kenyans, yes they run, but in foundation, they don’t run like we do, because they don’t walk like we do. The biggest difference is that they don’t run with shoes, and they don’t walk and run on concrete. Cultures that haven’t worn shoes in 10,000 years don’t walk or run like we do, they utilize a completely different running technique than western cultures do. http://www.ottopohl.com/Stories/2002_Stories/NYTheads2.htm http://www.biomech.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=163106201 Yes you shift your weight from side to side, and that measurement increased the distance your body has to travel from the linear distance of a race. Improving your ability to run straighter means that you can run faster by time (efficiency), without having to run physically faster.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xor

Sorry, we like to be comedic and run. We rarely throw threads completely off the rails unless 1) we are bored, 2) the thread doesn't seem to be sincere, or 3) the thread is completely impenetrable. I'd say that some of the funny guys/gals were going with #2. As for me, I'll go with #3. Do you have a two sentence executive summary version of this thread? A distillation of your point? I can't figure it out.

Feeling the growl again

If running is so incredibly hazardous, do us all a favor and leave the sport and this website. You know, for your own safety. I can count on my fingers the number of days of running I have missed from injuries. Borderline on one hand probably. 17 years of research huh? So you're one of the college of exercise physiologists who still can't do squat to tell us how to train better and pretty much spend time creating underpowered, meaningless, and unapplicable studies?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

no offense but you do have the screen name of "sportsjester" and you provide no information about yourself on the "about me". so right off your posts is going to be seen by 90% of people here as highly questionable. So don't come down so hard on people... you could easily present your information in a way that sounds less kooky. And a relatively obscure message baord is hardly expecting to see any revelations of real scientific breakthrough.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

no offense but you do have the screen name of "sportsjester"
                          Doncha just love the irony...
                          I thought this was a running forum, not a site for pathetic comedy…

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Jazz hands!

blah blah blah stuff
                            You seem to be pretty good at answering your own questions, so why are you asking us here? We're a bunch of people who run because we like it, first and foremost. I am not remotely interested in walking 9.5 mph on a treadmill, much like I am not interested in playing tackle football as a pastime.
                            I thought this was a running forum, not a site for hilarious comedy…
                            You thought wrong!
                            And sadly, it proved my point that only a rare few are interested in drinking the kool-aid…
                            Fixed that for you.
                            L_Master, sounds as if you’ve done some running reading in your past. So my question to you is to who’s interest your sources are interested in protecting? Yours or theirs?
                            Clearly, the Rosicrucians (backed by the ancient order of the Masons) have hidden the secrets of Proper Running from the common people for centuries, and it's up to one brave man to fight the power and get them back. Are you also wearing a tinfoil hat?
                            Cultures that haven’t worn shoes in 10,000 years don’t walk or run like we do, they utilize a completely different running technique than western cultures do.
                            First, both those articles say that women from certain African and Himalayan villages conserve more energy when they walk with giant loads on their heads. The second one even specifically says that this DOESN'T transfer to walking or running. And to save everyone else time, here's the money quote: "I've been doing this since I was 6." I'd still like to know what you're trying to sell us. You remind me of one of those real slick preachers on the teevee who come on and ask their audience why their lives suck so bad, why are they in debt, why do their spouses leave them, why does their toilet keep overflowing, and then LO AND BEHOLD it turns out the answer to ALL THEIR PROBLEMS is Jesus! So pony up please.
                            run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                            mikeymike

Oh the dreaded risk of injury. Booh!

Runners run

mikeymike

Heh heh, "money quote."

Runners run